The demise of Death Star 10188?

Discuss about retailers that carries LEGO products here! Got a LEGO Product Find or Polybag Find from a store? Share it with us. It can be a new or even a really old retired set!
earl9371
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

The demise of Death Star 10188?

Post by earl9371 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:21 am

Had a very interesting conversation with the manager of a Lego store yesterday concerning #10188. My 9 year old son has been working toward one by saving the $15 a week he earns for various stuff (wish I could just buy it for him but too expensive!). When we were at the store yesterday we saw an empty box for one, and I asked the manager if that was all he had. He said yes, and then in passing mentioned he didn't see them sticking around much longer.

After picking my poor son off the the floor, the guy went on to explain he used to sell a lot of them - up to 30 a week during the holidays, and this isn't a big store. He then said it had been months since he'd received even one for stock - which he said was very unusual - and that the only way they could get them was online. The guy then said this was the exact same way things had gone with the Millenium Falcon 10179 just before it was discontinued, so he was convinced the demise of the Death Star was on the way.

I spent most of last night trying to convince my son that everything would be cool, but I wanted to follow up with a post this morning to see if this info was anything others had heard. Lego has had an amazing impact on my son, and he wants this Death Star more than anything he's ever talked about. I'm afraid however they may be gone before he has the chance. Any insights would be VERY much appreciated - thanks!

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Re: The demise of Death Star 10188?

Post by legitimatealex » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:31 am

I think you have reason to be worried here. All the more expensive sets have a longer lifetime than most one year only sets. The Death Star has reached the same point as the Millennium Falcon has in age (or close to it.) If the set goes on sale you should immediately purchase it because when something that large goes on sale, LEGO is dumping it and they are gone within an hour like the Millennium Falcon was. You might want to advance your child's allowance just in case.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:35 am

First of all, depending on how much he has already saved, you buy it(if you have the $$) and give it to him once he has earned it(with his $15 p/week), therefore no heartbreak if it becomes unavailable.

Alternatively, check the lego sales & deals section several times a day, if it goes clearance online, it will no doubt go fast.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:35 am

I would take the manager's word - it doesn't sound like 'salesmanship' and more like a LEGO fan who has some inside knowledge talking to another LEGO fan - it's not likely to be around much longer. How much has your son saved up? Maybe buy it if you see it in a store, or buy it online and stash it until he's saved enough. Maybe in secret, maybe not - your call. If he KNOWS he'll eventually get it (or, more accurately, already DOES, but needs to finish saving up for it), he might be more inclined to continue to save up. Right now, it's not a guarantee by any means, and that might discourage him from continuing.

Personally, I think I'd "go halfsies" with him, say "you save up $200 and I'll put in the rest" (since you're going to probably have to do a lot of the building with him ;) )
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

JabbaT
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by JabbaT » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:51 am

I suggest buying the set first and hiding it from your son. Just in case it gets sold out as its been 2 years already. UCS tends to last a little longer but who knows if Lego will still have them instock after Christmas. When these big guys gets retired, the price turns ugly.

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by slacker » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:31 am

wow, that's not what I wanted to hear. I want one and was hoping to get one around xmas. Maybe they will offload them for $300 like the UCS falcon for $375.

funnypeople
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by funnypeople » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:41 pm

slacker wrote:wow, that's not what I wanted to hear. I want one and was hoping to get one around xmas. Maybe they will offload them for $300 like the UCS falcon for $375.
I would not count on that. The falcon wasn't selling too well. An announcement was even sent to everyone that its no longer produce to stimulate more people buying it. The death star on the other hand is a much better seller due to the playability features and the minifigures in it. This creates an extra demand from kids even though the UCS death star is meant for adults.

DarthPaka
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by DarthPaka » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:47 pm

They're discontinuing the Death Star!?!? To quote Darth Vader in episode 3, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

:mrgreen:

ToneLoc
I'm New !

Post by ToneLoc » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:23 pm

If they're discontinuing these, is it worth picking up a couple? Do people think this will hit the $800+ level that the Millenium Falcon is hitting on eBay?

brickz
Knight
Knight

Post by brickz » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:52 pm

Almost all 24 minifigures are no longer "rare" or "exclusives" to this set anymore. You can get them either from magnets or luke's landspeeder. Anyone think this set will go down in price anytime soon before it gets discontinued? The minifigures being common now should drive the price down right? I would like to get this but not at $400.

autobrick
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by autobrick » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:30 pm

I would say the Death Star is not going to be around much longer. I would love to pick one up for myself, but the price is a hard one to swallow.
brickz wrote:I would like to get this but not at $400.
Hey, here in Canada it goes for $499, despite the fact that currently 1 USD= 0.97 CAD!

natelite
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by natelite » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:35 pm

autobrick wrote:
Hey, here in Canada it goes for $499, despite the fact that currently 1 USD= 0.97 CAD!
you got that wrong. it's 0.97 CAD = 1 USD. unless your bank is charging you extra. :lol:

Shijima
Knight
Knight

Post by Shijima » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:42 pm

Wouldent it be 1.03 CAD = 1.00 USD

ENeuman600
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

star wars death star 10188

Post by ENeuman600 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:34 am

Hello,

I just spoke with lego customer service that current this item is out of stock when representative checking the computer and said can not order through phone. but other person over the phone said could be on the way. I do not know decide stop making this item or will contine in 2011?

I like to hear your feedback on this situation.

ENeuman600
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

star wars death star 10188

Post by ENeuman600 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:41 pm

I just spoke with lego customer service that current this item is out of stock when representative checking the computer and said can not order through phone. but other person over the phone said could be on the way. I do not know decide stop making this item or will contine in 2011?

I like to hear your feedback on this situation.

stevenli
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Re: star wars death star 10188

Post by stevenli » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:46 pm

Available online right now

ENeuman600
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by ENeuman600 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:49 pm

yes available online but has been backorder. possibly they has not update on legoshop.com.

cstojano
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by cstojano » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:16 pm

Million dollar question. I wouldn't wait personally. When this goes it will go quickly, especially if they mark any discount at all on it. Expect it to double immediately in the after market. So trying to save 10% now could cost you 200% if you happen to away when it clears out. Then again it could be around for another 10% or double points sale. Who knows.

Moz1976
I'm New !

Post by Moz1976 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:55 am

Lego tell a new 'story' every time they are phoned, you would think we were the ones that were kids in the utter tripe that comes out of of the Lego sales team at times. The latest I have is that these will be discontinued in December 2012, however next time it maybe December 2011..depending on what story you are told. They had a back order until 15th Jan, but when I phone them they had them in stock and the day after they updated their 'system' stating they were available.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:06 pm

I'd love to learn how LEGO updates their system. Gets everything off of backorder. Who knows though?
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?