Quality Control

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
Wim
I'm New !

Quality Control

Post by Wim » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:45 pm

Is it me or has the quality control at Lego gone downhill recently?

I've never had a problem with missing pieces before last week, and now in the span of a week, the last 3 large sets I've put together all had issues.

1) Grand Emporium: The flower piece on top was the wrong kind (closed stud instead of open stud, making it impossible to attach to the tap as shown in the manual)
2) Imperial Frigate: One of the medium sized wedge pieces was missing.
3) Fire Brigade: A 1x2 dark gray plate was missing.

Just bad luck? The Fire Brigade is no big deal as I have multiple spares of that part. The wedge plate I didn't have a spare of, and for the Grand Emporium piece I can attach it in a different manner (although the replacement part has been sent and should get here soon).

I just feel bad for having to use the part replacement service 3 times in a week after many years of never having had an issue.

meyerc13
Knight
Knight

Re: Quality Control

Post by meyerc13 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:36 am

Personally, I haven't seen missing pieces but seeing that you have experienced this with large sets I'd say that when I have heard about missing pieces it usually seems to be the bigger sets.

My biggest problem is folded sticker sheets, I wish LEGO would solve this with all sets and not just the $100 sets.

The next problem I've seen is pieces that crack. 1x1 Cheese slopes seem to be the biggest problem. I have a pile of broken white ones sitting here on my desk, and I just noticed an orange one broken on one of my daughter's brand new Friends sets. I need to request some replacements on those, but I wish they would stop cracking. I have a few other white pieces with cracks. This problem seems to be more common with certain colors, white being a big culprit, but some of the Friends and LotR colors are also susceptible according to reports I've read.

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:45 am

I had the same problem with the GE! Received my flower the other day and it was still the same closed-stud flower. :/ But at least they threw in some extra parts.:P
SAM_5319.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wim
I'm New !

Post by Wim » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:31 am

I tried to make it clear (and responded once more to the letter they send me), but I'm not sure they fully understand the problem with the part.

The Lego rep wrote:
I'm sorry that the part looks different from what is shown in your building instructions. I reviewed both design IDs you provided and learned that they are actually the very same part. Sometimes, when a part is shown from a different angle, it can look completely different.

I am sending along the Flower part you requested with the design ID 4728. It should be identical or nearly identical to the one provided in the kit with design ID 98262. Either part should work with the Grand Emporium. You have to turn the part around to use it. The part that is showing on the building in the instructions is actually the underside of the part.
Hopefully I'll get 4728 and not another 98262. It would be nice if they send me those other pieces too, as just sticking it to the back of one of those upright pieces should work too.

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:28 pm

It was a good idea, but does not fit. The space is too small and it has to but put on an angle, so only a round piece would work. But thanks for the part ID number, I'll have to give em a call instead of just emailing them.

Wim
I'm New !

Post by Wim » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:41 pm

I received the part today, and they sent me the correct (4728) part. My Grand Emporium is now exactly how it should be :).

SpaceNinjaDino
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by SpaceNinjaDino » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:07 am

The bad LEGO pieces I've had were not fully injected pieces. The first one was a black visor for Blacktron (1) in 1989. I snail mailed LEGO trying to explain the problem, but they sent me a black helmet and not the visor. I should have re-contacted, but never got a replacement until Bricklink. The second piece was two (?) years ago for a boat poly bag. The big invert nose piece was only molded half way. I brought it back to Target for an exchange. Since it was the biggest piece in the set, I would have thought their scales would flag this.

Overall, I would say LEGO quality control is great with the exception of China and dull gold (Prince of Persia) pieces.

My worry is if I have anything wrong with the many still sealed sets from the past 7 years.