Lego RV in "Build Together" Commercial

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
willu707
I'm New !

Lego RV in "Build Together" Commercial

Post by willu707 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:13 pm

Hello, my name is Will and this is my first post on this great site. I just wanted to ask if anyone knew where the white RV/motorhome came from that appears in the current Walmart commercials that advertise their toy layaway programs. It shows the child playing with what looks like a full size RV, and not the Lego City Camper. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

legogod
Knight
Knight

Re: Lego RV in Walmart Commercial

Post by legogod » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:47 pm

Are you talking about this commercial?

http://www.youtube.com/user/LEGObuildto ... re=pyv&ad=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I couldn't find any walmart ads with rvs in them besides this one. And if that is the one I don't believe it is a set. You'd have to make one yourself. But that's just me-I could be wrong.

EDIT: It could be the VW bus: http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Volkswagen-T ... meM3_10220 --the epitome of "recreational" vehicle. :P (I didn't know how to make this an affiliate link-it just kept coming up what I had typed in).

Jared

willu707
I'm New !

Post by willu707 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:19 pm

Yes that's the one, I had the commercial subject wrong. I want that RV!

condor
Knight
Knight

Post by condor » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:33 am

legogod is right, it's not an actual set. At least I haven't seen it before.

Here are a couple of pics for you. It looks like a pretty simple build:

pumbaugh
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by pumbaugh » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:07 am

That is an awesome commercial for LEGO...this is the type of advertising I really like. Hope to see more of this type in the future.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Re: Lego RV in "Build Together" Commercial

Post by vynsane » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:16 am

That's a pretty awesome build! Too bad there aren't any instructions for it on the site that the commercial is promoting, http://www.BuildTogether.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - but the site's pretty cute and has a bunch of other small instruction downloads.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

Hodgeman
Knight
Knight

Post by Hodgeman » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:42 am

That's a great little build. Hope they release instructions for it!
LEGO, it's not just a toy, it's an addiction... ;)

willu707
I'm New !

Post by willu707 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:20 am

Thank you for all the replies everyone. So it looks like the RV is not a current set, but I think it will be coming soon. I say this becuase it that same commercial it has the X-Wing. Now unless thats the Red Leader XWing that has been out for years, I think their teasing the new sets. We do know that a new XWing is on the way early next year, so maybe the RV will be a new city item aswell.

unclephn
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by unclephn » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:38 am

Judging from its scale, could it perhaps be a future Creator set?

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:58 am

I don't know about it being a future retail set, I think the idea of the site and the commercial are to promote creative building. The RV is just an example of a creative build.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:26 pm

vynsane wrote:I don't know about it being a future retail set, I think the idea of the site and the commercial are to promote creative building. The RV is just an example of a creative build.
i agree
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

willu707
I'm New !

Post by willu707 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:39 am

I would agree with it being a creative build, had there not been 2 other sets in the video that are retail sets. Not to mention the video is actually a Walmart commercial, so sales are the final goal. Whatever it may be, I want one!

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:42 am

It's not a Walmart commercial, there is no mention of any store in the video - it is, in fact, promoting http://www.BuildTogether.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which is registered to LEGO Juris A/S (via whois). The idea of the site is to help parents build with their children, offering games and instructions to follow for inspiration. Some of the instructions are alternate builds for Star Wars sets, others are more like simple "Bricks and More" sets. Ultimately, yes, the idea is to sell LEGO sets, but not necessarily at Walmart.

The RV isn't CITY scale - it's far too wide for the CITY streets (about three times the width of standard CITY cars). Even if it were part of the new Forest Ranger subtheme (which would be the most logical placement for that type of vehicle), it's still out of proportion with the other vehicles. AND we would have seen it already.

willu707
I'm New !

Post by willu707 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:54 am

It's not a Walmart commercial, there is no mention of any store in the video - it is, in fact, promoting http://www.BuildTogether.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which is registered to LEGO Juris A/S (via whois). The idea of the site is to help parents build with their children, offering games and instructions to follow for inspiration. Some of the instructions are alternate builds for Star Wars sets, others are more like simple "Bricks and More" sets. Ultimately, yes, the idea is to sell LEGO sets, but not necessarily at Walmart.

The RV isn't CITY scale - it's far too wide for the CITY streets (about three times the width of standard CITY cars). Even if it were part of the new Forest Ranger subtheme (which would be the most logical placement for that type of vehicle), it's still out of proportion with the other vehicles. AND we would have seen it already.
I still say why would they have the Falcon and X-Wing in the commercial if it was all custome builds? Also why not post the instructions on how to build it, its obviously popular as this thread has shown. Also couldnt it be part of the Lego Creator theme? Im not saying I am right, just saying its confusing.

Kodiak10
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Kodiak10 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:08 pm

GREAT GREAT COMMERICAL!

willu707
I'm New !

Post by willu707 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:43 pm

Ah hah! I found it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzBWBZemlCM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:40 am

Nice find! It's not the exact build from the commercial, though, is it? There are quite a few differences in pieces and colors used. I bet we can modify that into the one from the commercial, though. Too bad the guy didn't actually share the whole instruction book and just made a fly-by over the parts list before giving us multiple angle shots of the finished model...

Luckily, now that we know the 'official' name of the build, a quick search revealed the PDF of the instructions (plus a slew of others) over at SmashingBricks: http://blockdot.mgnetwork.com/lego/buil ... ads/rv.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apparently the instructions originally came from the BuildTogether site. Too bad they're not available there anymore, it would have saved a lot of time!

Now that I downloaded all of the PDFs, I know what I'm going to be doing on the commute home - translating as many of them as possible to LDD!

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:50 pm

So, yeah, looking at the commercial and screenshots above, it's not the same thing at all. Still, the techniques used in the instructions can be applied to building a reasonable facsimile of the one in the commercial.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:53 pm

My interest was piqued so much that I had to piece it together myself based on copious screenshots:

2011 LEGO Build Together RV in LDD by vynsane, on Flickr

Check out the LEGO Digital Designer file to check it out in-depth. The base is all made-up, since the stop-motion animation of the build begins with it almost fully formed, and the dashboard is a bit fudged. The bicycle on the back won't connect to the 1x1 w/clip.

sestial
I'm New !

Post by sestial » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:22 pm

Hello,
New to the forum. I am the builder of the RV model in the youtube video linked earlier in this thread (not the official commercial). I had downloaded the official instructions and noticed there are a few differences between the RV seen in the commercial vs the one I built from the official instructions. First, the RV in the commercial has four seats while the instructions calls for two. Second, the instructions show yellow license plates and no bicycle, while the commercial shows a red bicycle and no yellow plates. Also, the wheels are different.
Anyways, the model you see in my video is the exact build using the official instructions (every piece from the parts list was used).