[REVIEW] LEGO City 7641 - City Corner

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

What rating would you give to this set?

Excellent
63%
Average
38%
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 8

BlacktronManic
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

[REVIEW] LEGO City 7641 - City Corner

Post by BlacktronManic » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:57 pm

Indexed

7641 City Corner
Pieces: 483
Price: $79.99 CAN | $59.99 USD
Price Per Piece: $0.16 CAN | $0.12 USD
Minifigures: 5
LEGO Description:
LEGO' City grows and grows!

Build a corner scene from LEGO City! Will the businessman be late for the bus? Will the boy get the skateboard of his dreams? And who gets to enjoy the freshly-baked pizza? It's all up to you! Build a pizzeria, bike/skate shop, and bus with bus stop. Includes 5 minifigures (bus driver, pizza girl, skater boy, mechanic and business man) and accessories! Lots of play opportunity: includes pizzeria, bike & skate shop, bus and bus stop! Highly detailed! Working doors and windows, seat the minifigures on the bus or have them dine at the pizzeria! Don't forget to pick up the bicycle at the repair shop! Bus measures over 7" (18cm) long by 3" (8cm) tall Two story pizzeria measures 5" (13cm) long by 7" (18cm) tall Bike/skate shop measures 5" (13cm) long by 3" (8cm) tall Bus stop measures 5" (13cm) long by 2.5" (6cm) wide
Lego Review Underway:

This is a great addition to building any LEGO City, or even expanding your existing LEGO City infrastructure, and really adds variety. The main interest in this set is the bus and then the Pizza building which are the main builds in this set. The front of the box shows just how nice this set is and just how diverse this small part of town really is. The pizza baker is ready to sell her pizza to the kid on his skateboard or to any passengers that will be unboarding the bus. The business man is hoping the bus arrives on time for him to make it in on time to the office, and the Bike Shop is awaiting the next customer who will need a bike fixed or want to buy some skateboard accessories.

The back of the box shows all the possibilities this set has to offer. Need to catch a bus to go into town? Need a bike fixed right quick? Looking for new a new board or accessories? Or hungry and need a quick bite to eat? It's all here on the LEGO City Corner.

The set comes with 5 bags full of pieces and a 6th bag that holds the base platforms for the buildings and the floors needed for the pizzeria and the roof of the bike shop. There is also a sheet of stickers with a few stickers, but not exceedingly many.

The City Corner comes with two booklets. The first booklet is for building the bus and the bus stop (bags 1 and 2). The second is for building the bike shop and the pizza building (bags 3, 4 and 5).

Here are the minifigs. You get 5 minifigs with the set (which is decent considering the price), the mechanic, the pizza baker, the kid, the bus driver and the business man. This is the first kid to be included in my minifig collection, and I'll admit I was a bit bummed to see that the small pants was a rigid piece unlike the regular adult pants, oh well, kids are nice to have running around the city/town regardless, especially in this case as he is on his skateboard.

The bus is my son's favorite from this build and he was just anxious to build it. The build was nice as there is no one large piece in order to build the bus or the floor of the bus, and it is overall a solid build. The building of the bus platform was a bit tricky for my son (4yrs old) so he opted out at that point in the building process.

Here is the front of the bus, and it's very much like a real bus with a large front window and the bus route number displayed above the window. And there is the bus driver making his way along his route.

I made a slight change to the side build of this bus by having the main entry door open out to the right instead of what the instructions indicated, which would have been contrary to a normal working bus door IMHO.

Nothing really special about the back of the bus, just it's normal tail lights. No advertising though on the rear of the bus like many of today's buses.

The bus is able to seat 5 passengers apart from the driver. Plus some standing room for any other passengers needing a ride into town.

Bus stop: This is a nice simple bus stop with the bus stop sign on the corner and a nice little bench with a glass window and roof. The fire hydrant is a nice touch and great for my firefighters to hook up to in case of a nearby fire. The bus stop is not without a garbage can to avoid any litterers and a nice bit of foliage as well. This bus stop does a nice job of tying in the LEGO transit system by using the double arrow symbol on top of the bench (examples: 7937 Train Station and 7938 Passenger Train).

Bike Shop: This is a simple building, the main nice feature on this building is the fact that it has a security camera ready to catch any kid trying to take off with a skateboard or a new helmet (Also on a side note, as I recently purchased 7743 Police Command Center it occurred to me that the camera could be tied into the city camera system and the police are ready watching for any thefts or criminals). The lights above the shop sign are a nice touch as well and really shows how much thought was put into the set. The main thing that was missing in this shop was a cash register to allow the mechanic to charge customers for any purchases or repairs.

Front of the shop:

Back of the shop:

Here is the pizzeria. A really great looking building either on it's own or included into a growing LEGO City. The only problem I had with this building is the top windows, for some reason for me they were really loose when installed and when I tried opening the windows they would not remain open. Other than that the building has a very nice structure and is modular so you can really open up the building to see into the second or main floor. Also, if you own sets 8403 City House and/or 7633 Construction Site you can actually mix and match the modular buildings and create some custom buildings to your taste.

Here is the pizzeria from the back. Really nice with seating for four to eat your pizza and hang out, an attic (with little to no space to stand up in, actually I was thinking of using the CMF series 2 and have the singer with maracas man to be up there and have a band practice, although it might be a little tight) and the main pizzeria with an oven that when you move the lever it causes the oven door to open allowing the baker to remove the pizza from the oven, and it actually works quite well.

Conclusion: This is a wonderful build, really a lot of fun and a lot of it is ready for play pretty quick. My son loves this set, mainly the bus and the bus stop. This is a great addition to a LEGO City as you get more diverse buildings, a skate boarder, a bike for the business man and a bus to transport passengers all over town. I really recommend this set to anyone, its a great price for all that you get, plus your city will grow very quickly with the purchase of this set, believe me. A good portion of my son's room is taken up with the buildings from this set alongside his previous buildings he owned.

Below is the complete build for you to see just how nice it really is once you put it all into perspective. (PS - In case no one had noticed the buildings are numbered indicating they are on the same street or block, just a little fyi)

funnypeople
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: [Review] LEGO City 7641 - City Corner

Post by funnypeople » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:20 pm

This will really go well with city house and public transportation. I really like the detailed bus.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:01 am

Looks like a good set. I've never been too inclined to get it though. I think it's the bike shop that I don't like. it seems like LEGO didn't put too much effort into detailing the insides.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

BlacktronManic
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by BlacktronManic » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:02 am

legitimatealex wrote:Looks like a good set. I've never been too inclined to get it though. I think it's the bike shop that I don't like. it seems like LEGO didn't put too much effort into detailing the insides.
It is true, the bike shop has little to offer with just a skateboard, helmet and cap on display and the rack of tools in the corner it is a sparse set up. Could have been done better, but at least from the front of the shop it looks good enough when displayed within the city I've built for my son.

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:17 pm

It's a good set. My son got it for me last Christmas. I MOD the bus into 4 wide to match my other vehicles.