Craiglist Post - $60 - Worth buying?

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
kemcab
Peasant
Peasant

Craiglist Post - $60 - Worth buying?

Post by kemcab » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:07 am

I'm a recent Lego AFOL convert who has been gathering more and more sets and getting seriously interested in MOCs and the like. I'm starting to look through Craigslist postings for good deals and was hoping to get a little sage advice. The following box of Legos is selling for $60 on Craigslist. According to the poster, it's pure Legos with no MegaBlocks and no K'Nex and is a random assortment of pieces. Is this worth the purchase, or should I get more information, or... obviously, any advice would be appreciated.

***If this is the wrong place to be posting this question, please let me know where I should post. Thanks again for your help.

Zeya
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: Craiglist Post - $60 - Worth buying?

Post by Zeya » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:57 am

Always a tough call. I can see the bottom of the container it's in, so the bricks are laid out pretty shallowly. I don't see anything jumping out at me as "that's not Lego", but it's hard to tell everything that's going on. I can't make out any minifigures. looks like he's got a fair amount of Technic.

I don't suppose the person has figured out the weight of the bricks (minus container of course)? In general Lego tends to go for $10/lb on a good day (meaning nice mixed used lot with minifigs, hasn't been cherry-picked through already). For a picked through lot, less than that. $5/lb is a very good deal in most cases.

It's up to you in the end. If it were me and I was on the hunt for used Lego, I would lowball. Maybe offer $25, hope to settle around $40 maybe. Everyone lowballs on Craigslist for sure. People selling something like this on Craigslist instead of eBay, typically want to get rid of their stuff quick and easy, and that means they're likely to take a low offer. Otherwise they would sell the lot on eBay (I mean a small/medium lot of loose Lego like this is one of the easiest things to sell on eBay, packs into ziplocs / box nicely.)

Just my opinion. I don't buy used Lego often at all. Just once some crusty old lot at Goodwill a couple years ago and still haven't gotten around to washing it. Oh yeah - definitely wash the lot when you get it home! Use those mesh laundry bags and run it through your dishwasher, works really well.

kemcab
Peasant
Peasant

Post by kemcab » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:17 pm

Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it!

gopalkrishnan
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by gopalkrishnan » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:41 am

Legos for $60 on Craigslist? Now that's some news! Thank you for sharing the word!

kemcab
Peasant
Peasant

Post by kemcab » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:35 am

Heh. Sorry, I should have worded the topic title differently. This would have been my first time making a bulk Lego purchase and I was hoping to get an idea of whether or not this was a good buy. Zeya's response and advice was exactly what I was seeking. :)

kibosh
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by kibosh » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:29 am

I see the super structure of the first Star Destroyer. I'd roll the dice on this lot for $60 for sure. Offer $50 and see what they say.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:21 am

Mod Note: I've moved this from "Investing" to "General LEGO Discussions" since it's not really about the act of "buying LEGO for fun and profit" but more just for fun ;-)
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

kemcab
Peasant
Peasant

Post by kemcab » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:51 am

Sorry about that! Thanks for the move.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:48 am

No prob. You'll just be on probation for the next 7 years. Hefty bribes of LEGO and/or beer are welcome and can greatly reduce such a sentence. ;-)
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

legogod
Knight
Knight

Post by legogod » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:30 pm

I just recently took apart my star destroyer from my own yard sale find. When I saw it in your bin I thought this might be a good deal. Of course haggle, haggle, haggle. Those are the first three rules of craigslist.

The tower on the extreme right is from PotC 4183- the Mill- a cool set if I say so myself. I see lots of interesting pieces-wheels, porthole (spongebob or aquanauts) and mentioned sets. You'll have to let us know if you get it.

Jared

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:11 am

Ask if it's from a smoker's home, that makes a difference.

I'd say lowball $45, they probably put up $60 wanting $50.

kemcab
Peasant
Peasant

Post by kemcab » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:15 am

Unfortunately, I ended up not going for it. I spent the $60 on an impulse purchase of the Lion Chi Temple at TRU for $59.