[Contest] The Simpsons LEGO Microbuild Tournament

Vote, View and participate in our LEGO Contests to win awesome LEGO prizes.
Toys N Bricks
Administrator
Administrator

[Contest] The Simpsons LEGO Microbuild Tournament

Post by Toys N Bricks » Mon May 05, 2014 9:54 pm

The 2014 Toys N Bricks LEGO Microbuild Tournament Contest is here! This year, our Microbuild Tournament will be based on the new LEGO Simpsons theme. All you have to do is build a mini LEGO Simpsons landmark or building with no more than 300 pieces.

Up for grabs this year for our Microbuild LEGO Tournament Contest will be a brand-new copy of the highly anticipated LEGO exclusive 71006 The Simpsons House. More details can be found below. You will get 2 months to design and build your creation. Use your pieces wisely and good luck!

Contest runs until July 15th, 2014. If you have a question regarding this contest, please post it here.

Contest Rules
  • You can use up to a maximum of 300 pieces
  • Your entry must be a Simpsons landmark or building
  • Entries must be completely new (you cannot use it in another contest, event, etc)
  • Entries must be built with LEGO pieces (no LDD, custom brands, stickers, other objects used)
  • If you have won the last LEGO Building Contest (Winter 2013: Minifig Holiday Traditions Vignette), you are not allowed to enter
  • All basic contest rules followed
Submit your Entry
  • Please submit your entries in this topic
  • Details on how to submit are also available there
Evaluation
  • Contest evaluation will be based on votes from members
  • If there is a tie, there will either be another voting round for the 2 contestants or the staff will make the final call
Deadline: Contest ends on July 15th at 21:00 PST (July 16 - 0:00 EST).
*All entries that fail to meet the above guidelines by the deadline will be disqualified.

Prizes

Grand Prize
The Grand Prize Winner will receive an awesome LEGO Simpsons Gift Package including the LEGO exclusive The Simpsons House and the just released LEGO Simpsons Minifigures!

71006 The Simpsons House

71005 The Simpsons LEGO Series Minifigures (complete set of all 16 minifigures!)

2nd Place
The Second Place Winner will also receive a complete set of 16 brand-new The Simpsons Series Minifigures 71005.

*Minifigure packs have been opened to verify a complete set of 16

All prizes and shipping costs will be sponsored by Toys N Bricks.

Toys N Bricks reserves the right to modify or change the rules at anytime.
By accepting the prize, you have read and understood the rules and our basic contests & prizes rules.
Toys N Bricks
A LEGO Fan Community. Like us on FaceBook and follow us on Twitter!

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [Contest] The Simpsons LEGO Microbuild Tournament

Post by Ice » Mon May 05, 2014 9:54 pm

Reserved.

To avoid any further ambiguity, you can build ANY Simpsons landmark in miniature scale. So yes, Simpsons house or those appearing in the LEGO Simpsons show are allowed.

iccarus
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by iccarus » Fri May 09, 2014 1:56 pm

Wow, that's a pretty sweet first prize. Time to get building.
Check out my blog - Buried in Bricks

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Fri May 09, 2014 6:12 pm

So the landmark cannot be minifigure scale since its a microbuild?

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Fri May 09, 2014 11:01 pm

"new Simpsons landmark or building designed by you"

So this must be a new landmark or building that does not yet exist in Springfield. This not mean that it has to be a landmark or building that has not be created in LEGO form. Right? Although I think I just answered my own question.. because thus far only the Simpson's house has been created in LEGO form.

So the nuclear plant or the statue of Jebadiah Springfield is off limits because they are not "new". Right?

I'm very excited to see the entries. Hopefully I can make the time to create an entry. I've been dying to enter these contests since joining the forum.

Thanks

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Fri May 09, 2014 11:12 pm

Legobrandon wrote:So the landmark cannot be minifigure scale since its a microbuild?
Right.
StClair wrote:"new Simpsons landmark or building designed by you"

So this must be a new landmark or building that does not yet exist in Springfield. This not mean that it has to be a landmark or building that has not be created in LEGO form. Right? Although I think I just answered my own question.. because thus far only the Simpson's house has been created in LEGO form.

So the nuclear plant or the statue of Jebadiah Springfield is off limits because they are not "new". Right?

I'm very excited to see the entries. Hopefully I can make the time to create an entry. I've been dying to enter these contests since joining the forum.

Thanks
No, I think the wording is a little misleading - pretty sure it's supposed to mean a microscale interpretation of a Springfield landmark that hasn't appeared as an official set, so, basically, you can't do a microscale version of the Simpsons' house. Other than that, I've not seen the LEGO episode of the show, but I'd wager there were at least a few brick-built versions of Springfield buildings. You can't copy any of those, it has to be an original creation.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

alphanerdmikeyb
I'm New !

Post by alphanerdmikeyb » Sat May 10, 2014 4:29 pm

I'm in! Now, how do I get my mini Duff brewery to actually brew?

iccarus
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by iccarus » Sun May 11, 2014 8:45 pm

It would be helpful to get clarification on the rules on what exactly we're supposed to be building. As mentioned, the current wording is a little confusing.

"Your entry must be a new Simpsons landmark or building designed by you"

Is this meant to be:

Your entry must be a Springfield landmark from the Simpsons designed by you, which has not yet appeared in a set.

OR

Your entry must be a Simpsons-inspired building designed by you.

I'm assuming it's the former, but it would help to know for certain.
Check out my blog - Buried in Bricks

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Sun May 11, 2014 9:00 pm

Hi iccarus, sorry for the confusion there. You need to build a Simpsons Landmark/building in miniature scale (i.e Moe's bar).

To avoid ambiguity and to make things less complicated, I'm going to update the rules where you can build ANY Simpsons landmark in miniature scale. So yes, Simpsons house or those appearing in the LEGO Simpsons show are allowed.

Happy building!

Lantern 0
I'm New !

Post by Lantern 0 » Wed May 14, 2014 4:35 pm

Hi, I am new to MOC submissions and I also have never done micro-scale builds before so I have a couple of questions.

1.) Is there a rule of thumb for the size of micro-scale/mini-builds? That is to say does a mini-build have to be less then "X" number of bricks tall? Or a building can't be more that 2 minifigures tall?

2.) Can a submission include more then 1 building in it if the entry is still under the 300 pc maximum? For instance if we wanted to create a small section of Springfield.

3.) Is there a size limitation for the base of our build? Does the structure have to fit within a 16x16 or 8x8 base?

I hope the wording of my questions made sense and thank you for your time!!!

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Thu May 15, 2014 7:13 am

There is no dimension-based limitation, the piece count and requirement to build a recognizable Springfield landmark are the only two contest-specific limitations. If you can build multiple recognizable Springfield landmarks with 300 pieces, have at it!
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

spacysmoke
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by spacysmoke » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:03 pm

So is it considered a microbuild as long as the scale is smaller than minifig scale?

My build is not as small (scale-wise) as the other entries, but it is definitely smaller than minifig-scale.

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:54 pm

spacysmoke wrote:So is it considered a microbuild as long as the scale is smaller than minifig scale?

My build is not as small (scale-wise) as the other entries, but it is definitely smaller than minifig-scale.
I'm not in a position to make calls BUT in my opinion you are probably fine if its smaller than minifigure scale and has no more than 300 pieces.

MrVx
I'm New !

Post by MrVx » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:33 pm

Thanks for extending the deadline!