63 year old AFOL denied entry into Legoland at Vaughan Mills

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
crewser
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

63 year old AFOL denied entry into Legoland at Vaughan Mills

Post by crewser » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:51 am

This past weekend a self proclaimed Lego Fanatic was denied entry into the Legoland north of Toronto in the Vaughan Mills mall.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/legoland-d ... -1.1358249

I had actually planned on visiting this place myself, but after reading then watching the news clip, I will not go near the place now.

legohunter
Count
Count

Re: 63 year old AFOL denied entry into Legoland at Vaughan M

Post by legohunter » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:53 am

You could still join the adult night.

TLG sometimes did screw things up, but they were always trying their best to fix it. Comparing with many big companies, TLG has done much better job to response customers' complains. Other companies will not take it seriously.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:42 am

It's truly unfortunate that they planned this trip only to be turned away, but this is their standard policy. I'd be interested in seeing the flyer mentioned in the article, to see whether or not the policy is stated somewhere therein.

Having just visited the Schaumburg LDC, it makes perfect sense to me - it's really not geared for adults. As legohunter stated, there are special adult nights (once a month, I believe) and if the LDCs were owned and operated by the LEGO Group I wouldn't be surprised to see them pay the transportation and hotel fees for them to come back and attend one of those events, but LEGOLAND parks and DCs are owned and operated by Merlin Entertainments Group, so I'm not sure where this will lead.

It's plainly stated on the online ticket purchasing form:
Screen Shot 2013-07-11 at 9.25.52 AM.png
I'd be surprised if it's not stated somewhere (even if in fine print) on the flyer.

HOWEVER, it is reprehensible that the manager did not take the time to speak with him, I'm sure the policy could have been bent in this instance. Were I the manager, I would have said "Well, you're with your daughter. Even though she's fully grown, she's still your child, so go on in." but then I'd probably get fired.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:44 am

As a parent, I have no problem with children's attractions taking steps to keep kids safe. I do have a problem with the way the employees dealt with a person who isn't web savy and drove all the way in from out of town to see the displays. The manager in particular should be fired for not being able to drag his/her lazy butt out their chair to at least speak to this man. I've been to their website and this restriction is not on easy to find if you don't do a lot of web surfing.
Last edited by hatcher on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:48 am

hatcher wrote:As a parent, I have no problem with children's attractions taking steps to keep kids safe. I do have a problem with the way the employees dealt with a person who isn't web savy and drove all the way in from out of town to see the displayes. The manager in particular should be fired for not beaing able to drag his/her lazy butt out their chair to at least speak to this man. I've been to their website and this restriction is not on easy to find if you don't do a lot of web surfing.
I agree with this, it is geared for children and I'm sure they don't want tons of child-free adults taking up space or praying on children. I do think the manager should have spoken directly with the gentleman.

This is on LEGO's facebook page. Not good PR, but people are getting out of hand playing the "senior citizen" and "cancer" card. I do believe that he has been invited to attend another time. But if this guy is such a LEGO fanatic, how did he not realize that this center is really geared for children and is different from LEGOLAND which also is for adults? I realize he claimed he is not "internet saavy", but he guy must have a phone right? Wouldn't you call to find out details before making the long drive?
FROM FB: thanks for your concern and taking the time to leave us a comment. In order to constantly maintain a family-oriented environment, the Centre does not permit entry of groups of adults, adult couples, or lone adults who are not accompanied by a child. We realize we have LOADS of awesome adult LEGO fans also, which is why the Centre hosts regular evening events specifically for adults to enjoy the attractions. We have spoken with the LEGO fans about this instance and they will be returning to the LEGOLAND Discovery Centre to enjoy the attractions and so this gentleman can live out his dream! We truly appreciate your concern and it is very heartwarming to see LEGO fans reaching out to us.

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:45 pm

Does this mean I'm not allowed to go to Disney Land because it's geared towards children?

What do I think of it? It's a f-ing joke! Just shows you that LEGO is a dumb company like any other.

I went to the first ever LEGO Kids Whatever in Hartford CT with a date. We were the only guys there without children and they didn't care! And that had "kid" in the title!

stevebuscemi
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by stevebuscemi » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:54 am

Good rule to prevent pedos. I'm glad they refused him. He's old enough to know how to read.

toystest
Knight
Knight

Post by toystest » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:48 am

Brick & Blue wrote:Does this mean I'm not allowed to go to Disney Land because it's geared towards children?
Actually... Disney just changed its rules, and kids under 16 can no longer enter the park without an adult with them.

NIGELTTF
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by NIGELTTF » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:59 am

What a stupid rule. How is this supposed to 'stop pedos'? :down: Gosh since the majority of incidents of pedophilia are from a relative, stopping any relative of a child from seeing them would be more effective.

Crime is nearly unknown at them parks because the are highly monitored and have controlled entry and exit

slimninj4
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by slimninj4 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:22 am

NIGELTTF wrote:What a stupid rule. How is this supposed to 'stop pedos'? :down: Gosh since the majority of incidents of pedophilia are from a relative, stopping any relative of a child from seeing them would be more effective.

Crime is nearly unknown at them parks because the are highly monitored and have controlled entry and exit
It is one less thing a pedo can use as a tool to gain access to kids. As a father I welcome the rule. As you said a majority but not ALL are from relatives. That one that is not....

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:13 am

slimninj4 wrote:
NIGELTTF wrote:What a stupid rule. How is this supposed to 'stop pedos'? :down: Gosh since the majority of incidents of pedophilia are from a relative, stopping any relative of a child from seeing them would be more effective.

It is one less thing a pedo can use as a tool to gain access to kids. As a father I welcome the rule. As you said a majority but not ALL are from relatives. That one that is not....

:roll:

It will do NOTHING to stop some perverts. Have there been any reports of kidnappings at LEGO Land things? Nothing will stop some sickos. Have better security to keep kids safe, but that won't help either. It's like after a school shooting, they add a lock and a buzzer system with metal detecters. 26 people were still killed in Newtown. Nothing will stop sick people from sick things.

toystest wrote:
Brick & Blue wrote:Does this mean I'm not allowed to go to Disney Land because it's geared towards children?
Actually... Disney just changed its rules, and kids under 16 can no longer enter the park without an adult with them.

Umm... OK. That is the exact opposite of what we are talking about.

Making parents watch their children = Good.
Not letting in a group of people because they can't / won't have children over some stupid idea that it would make children safer and that every single adult is a pedo? = Bad

It's like saying don't bring your children to church because the priest might molest them. I'll bet you that's more likely than an issue in a LEGO park.

Bobsterino
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Bobsterino » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:20 am

Before there are more negative comments against The Lego Group, it should be restated that TLG does not own or operate any of the Legoland parks or Discovery Centres. While I question TLG's decision to sell off these assets, and I hope they will repurchase them sometime in the future, Legoland parks are owned and operated by Merlin Entertainments. Any comments, negative or positive, should be directed towards them.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:30 am

Bobsterino wrote:Before there are more negative comments against The Lego Group, it should be restated that TLG does not own or operate any of the Legoland parks or Discovery Centres. While I question TLG's decision to sell off these assets, and I hope they will repurchase them sometime in the future, Legoland parks are owned and operated by Merlin Entertainments. Any comments, negative or positive, should be directed towards them.
I agree and I think the average person posting on Facebook etc. is not aware of this and I did like how TLG didn't pass it off as "we don't own the center, it's run by a 3rd party", rather they made sure the gentleman would be able to return. So many companies would just say, "well it's not our fault". I really think TLG is great because they calmly "took the criticism" and did something about it (inviting him to come back).

People are saying stuff like, "I'll never buy Lego again" etc. and I think TLG's response was appropriate.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:32 am

What do I think of it? It's a f-ing joke! Just shows you that LEGO is a dumb company like any other.

I went to the first ever LEGO Kids Whatever in Hartford CT with a date. We were the only guys there without children and they didn't care! And that had "kid" in the title!
Disneyland does not have the same rule as the LEGO Discovery Center (we are NOT talking about LEGOLAND here) so you are free to go to DL whenever you like. I've never been to a Discovery Center, but I imagine it is not a large place...it's in a mall right? I'm guessing that the rule was also put in so masses of adults aren't taking up space at the Discovery Center and possibly taking away a chance for kids to participate. It's not that much different than saying the Monthly Mini Model Build is only for kids 6-14 years old. Otherwise adults would line up and take them away from kids.

The KidsFest is also (IMO) a poorly run event by a third party, but that's another thread. ;-) They allowed you in because they wanted your money. It sounds like the Discovery Centers have plenty of adults with children to fill the place.

legodork
Peasant
Peasant

Post by legodork » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:39 am

It's a chuck e cheese like place. Yes, the Minilands are neat but otherwise it's target audience is 4 to 8 year olds.

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:30 am

LEGO Kidsfest had a line on the highway backed up for 6 miles and had a 3.5 hour long wait to go inside, they didn't need my money, they were already getting enough.

And DisneyLand is banning kids, LEGOLand things are banning childless adults and that's wrong.

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:40 am

I've been to the Discovery Center on adult night. Its play area is open and geared towards kids. It was pretty crazy when the adults were competing against each others for parts in the build contest. Little kids probably wouldn't stand a chance against me grabbing all the good parts quickly for my build.

NIGELTTF
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by NIGELTTF » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:58 am

Brick & Blue wrote: Making parents watch their children = Good.
Not letting in a group of people because they can't / won't have children over some stupid idea that it would make children safer and that every single adult is a pedo? = Bad

It's like saying don't bring your children to church because the priest might molest them. I'll bet you that's more likely than an issue in a LEGO park.

Precisely my point, though I avoided the whole church/priest thing because I might come off as biased as I am an atheist.

When a rule or restriction is instituted out of fear and maintaining appearances, rather than any a well thought out saftey issue, it is a bad rule. It dilutes both freedom and the concept that 'rules are in place for a good reason' Every time a stupid rule is made, it makes people less respectful to the very concept of rules.

George Carlin on Rules

Kids have rules to live up to. Most of the rules were tough. They had some good rules, you know—I don’t mean to put them all down. Parents had some pretty good rules. ‘No running with the scissors.’ One I never disobeyed. Made sense to me. ‘This big mother would go right through me, man.’ ‘What’re you doing?’ ‘I’m not running with the scissors, for one thing.’

They had another dumb rule: ‘No singing at the table.’ ‘Why not?’ One guy with a bad voice [BLEEPED] it up for everybody else? ‘No singing at the table.’ ‘How about humming?’ ‘No. By extension.’
Last edited by vynsane on Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Speaking of policies geared towards making things family friendly...

wyldjedi
Citizen
Citizen

Post by wyldjedi » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:01 am

I was about to say that I 'suppose' I could understand the rule at Legoland and keeping kids safe and all, but then someone made the analogy about Disney and if the same thing applied there. Places like that, (circuses, specialty theme parks, etc etc) simply would not be in business if they made every adult have children with them. I do think that Legoland seems a bit kid-ish from the viewpoint of any adult who is not a Lego addict like myself, but the same could also be said for Disney World/Land. If an adult wants to go alone they should be allowed. I have seen pictures from many various LegoLands and they are not all the same; the one in Schaumburg, IL seems much more small child oriented, but the one in California looks much more interesting for an adult with much bigger displays. I will be near the CA one in a few months and it looks like I will not be able to go. I guess it is a good thing I read the article and got my hopes dashed now instead of before I got into town. Also remember that Legoland is NOT part if the Lego company.

peanut
Knight
Knight

Post by peanut » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:31 am

I understand why the policy exists but it has huge flaws. Also I find it lame that they don't pay the manager enough to care - what with their record profits lately - but no surprise there I guess. Kids only but make sure you bring LOTS of your parents money kiddos mwahahaha. A Discovery Center is not as big and 'cool' as a full blown LEGOLAND but he couldn't travel farther due to his medical condition.