Lego Duds

Discuss about retailers that carries LEGO products here! Got a LEGO Product Find or Polybag Find from a store? Share it with us. It can be a new or even a really old retired set!
cstojano
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Lego Duds

Post by cstojano » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:14 am

we talk a lot about future home runs, what about past duds. Any long time investors have any good examples? I sometimes get the sense all Lego is gold if you wait long enough.

Edmond Dantes
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: Lego Duds

Post by Edmond Dantes » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:03 am

Prince of Persia - even when the sets went to 50% off, it's hard to turn a profit.

Atlantis is another ...

SpaceViking
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by SpaceViking » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:15 am

most racers sets. occasionally there is a hit, after a long enough time. but most just languish.

anakinisvader
Knight
Knight

Post by anakinisvader » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:38 am

Edmond Dantes wrote:Prince of Persia - even when the sets went to 50% off, it's hard to turn a profit.

Atlantis is another ...
I second this. Even at 75% off the only thing that sells are those dang ostrich figs. I wish they would lay eggs.
Why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway?

brickarmor
Knight
Knight

Post by brickarmor » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:25 pm

Galaxy Squad.

Such is the lament of an AFOL who cherishes the space themes.

Except Space Police.

And Galaxy Squad.

cstojano
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by cstojano » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:38 pm

I suppose I should add Speed Racer, but don't know what the aftermarket is like for these. I suspected PoP was a dud.

Luciant
Count
Count

Post by Luciant » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:11 pm

PoP
Toy Story
Atlantis
Space Police.....
All the Junk that sits in my closet that doesn't move :(
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.

NIGELTTF
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by NIGELTTF » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:55 pm

cstojano wrote:we talk a lot about future home runs, what about past duds. Any long time investors have any good examples? I sometimes get the sense all Lego is gold if you wait long enough.
Yes Prince Of Persia, Gallidor, Ben 10, and lets not forget..the AFOL special, Space Skull/Star Justice. Exo Squad and Sponge Bob have done pretty weakly too for the most part.

popnfresh
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by popnfresh » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:16 pm

i agree with space police and toy story, even factoring in clearanced at 50% off, itll be barely eeking out a profit years later in the secondary market

Luciant
Count
Count

Post by Luciant » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:01 pm

popnfresh wrote:i agree with space police and toy story, even factoring in clearanced at 50% off, itll be barely eeking out a profit years later in the secondary market
The ONLY saving grace is they both have interesting Minifigs so I'm hoping the interest in them eventually will let me recoup my costs :(
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.

calvinwashere2
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by calvinwashere2 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:39 pm

Luciant wrote:PoP
Toy Story
Atlantis
Space Police.....
All the Junk that sits in my closet that doesn't move :(
Friends don't let friends buy duds like that... so what's the next ones to hit this list? Chima? Space Squad?

Notorious Guf
I'm New !

Post by Notorious Guf » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:46 pm

Nobody has mentioned "Cars" yet. Unless I'm mistaken, these have been a bit of a flop, certainly was the worst sets I've ever bought, I can barely give them away! (Don't ask me to give them too you though ;))

Looking forward, I have my doubts over Chima, although I felt that way about Ninjago! & perhaps the new Western Theme. There will be some fans, but perhaps not a wide enough appeal to command a secondary market down the track. I have to say they have some attractive sets though, so the Jury is still out on this one.

Luciant
Count
Count

Post by Luciant » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:43 am

I agree about Cars. I expected it to do better thinking 1) my nephew LOVES Cars and has for a few years so it seemed to have some youth hold... and I also figured the cars could easily become regular cars for any City oriented person. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have worked out the way I thought.

DINO is looking thus far like a big DuD, but I have a strange feeling that over time, the Dinos will become a much desired commodity... but really only the Dino "minifigs'. Since there aren't much in terms of parts for the sets, the potential for dud is very prevalent.

Chima I have very mixed feelings about. I do not think this will be the next Ninjago they are hoping for. I just don't see the zip-racers as a huge hit like the spinners. The sets aren't as good either IMO. Kids can connect to Ninjas.... harder to connect to animal-like creatures. AFOLs are happy because of all the new elements (wings, masks, etc.) but I don't think the demand is gonna be super high.

TMNT I think will be a dud in the long run. The Minifigs are excellent, but the actual sets and parts are pretty bad. The uniqueness of the minifigs might be it's only saving grace.

I think Galaxy Squad is going to be pretty successful. It is turning out to be like NInjago for me... initial interest was "blah" based on my views of the sets. After actually putting them together and playing with them in hand, my interest in them has gone up by leaps and bounds. Lots of great parts, and good price points. I think GS will be a hidden gem.

I also think the Lone Ranger has some serious potential for flop. The minifigs from what I've seen are very dull and boring. While there is the desire for Western Themed sets, I don't think this theme will satisfy the desires of what is being asked vs what is being produced... the sets seem to be very basic and boring, when in reality Western theme desires want more intricate designs. I plan on avoiding the series and just picking up The Lone Ranger and Tanto minifigs via polybags.

condor
Knight
Knight

Post by condor » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:06 pm

Definitely PoP. Luckily I only bought them for my collection and not to resell. I wonder why themes like Space Police and Atlantis have tanked while stuff like Power Miners is soaring. Could it be that Star Wars takes away from the space appeal?

Another I can think of is the Home One set. I got it for $35 I think and thought it would appreciate nicely, but it looks like it is still selling under MSRP.

Edit: now that I think about it though, Mars Mission is doing pretty well so what is the disconnect?

ricefields
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by ricefields » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:08 pm

I used to think exoforce was a dud, but its been selling well above msrp now so no longer a dud and have been finally selling off my collection

although space police III has been weak, the limited edition sets have been hits. I sold my max transport for 4x msrp

mars mission has been a hit (selling for 2-4 x msrp) so which leads me to think that galaxy squad may do well - have not bought any yet but interested in the two highest price sets

I think I am selective but every lego theme I bought since 2004 has generally been a hit even though I was pessimistic about some themes for a long time and then I get a pleasant suprise after checking ebay for the latest market values. I even managed to sell knights kingdom and bionicles for more than I paid.

thank god I knew to stay away PoP even though they could be had for 50% off.

I think alien conquest will be a dud but hoping that the earth defense HQ will be the only set that will do ok (at least bringing msrp) since I bought it for 50% off.

calvinwashere2
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by calvinwashere2 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:38 pm

condor wrote: Edit: now that I think about it though, Mars Mission is doing pretty well so what is the disconnect?
It might have to do with popularity of Mars rover that brings attention to some of these forgotten sets.

What about Minecraft? Seems like that is selling out everywhere? Passing fad?

pepe
Peasant
Peasant

Post by pepe » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:07 pm

Atlantis has not been a very good investment. Some of the figs are interesting, but overall looks like a flop.

NIGELTTF
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by NIGELTTF » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:51 am

calvinwashere2 wrote:
condor wrote: Edit: now that I think about it though, Mars Mission is doing pretty well so what is the disconnect?
It might have to do with popularity of Mars rover that brings attention to some of these forgotten sets.

Look at the unique parts: 2 printed one by one plates. that's it. I'd say it is very likely a passing fad.

Luciant
Count
Count

Post by Luciant » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:42 am

NIGELTTF wrote:
calvinwashere2 wrote:

Look at the unique parts: 2 printed one by one plates. that's it. I'd say it is very likely a passing fad.
Completely agree. The fad has more to do with limited supply rather than extreme demand IMO. Those of us who are concerned about Price per piece and what kind of parts you're getting for them realize you can buy the entire mincraft set with essentially one good Pick-a-brick wall for $14.99... the 2 printed 2x1 plates. People have been buying / investing I think and since the supply was low, created a bubble. I certainly am not going to be in that one when it pops.

Luciant
Count
Count

Post by Luciant » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:45 am

At least with my Atlantis dud, I have minifigs, some interesting / unique parts, and if all else, a cool underwater fleet / mob of monsters.... what do you have with a bunch of Minecraft sets sitting around... some squares yay!