Has anyone elses Toys R Us gone COMPLETELY out of their mind

Discuss about retailers that carries LEGO products here! Got a LEGO Product Find or Polybag Find from a store? Share it with us. It can be a new or even a really old retired set!
slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: Has anyone elses Toys R Us gone COMPLETELY out of their

Post by slacker » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:13 pm

I've been posting outrageous lego prices from TRU for awhile now. The prices are insane. So far, Queens TRU seems to be worse than Manhattan. The one on route 4 in NJ is just as bad. It's not even worth crossing the border to NJ for less sales tax anymore.

TRU also jacks up prices for starwars figures. So it's not only Lego. My Shoprite sells lego and other toys at msrp. Plus they had some deals for xmas. I think TRU is really ripping people off. I've done maybe 3-5 purchases at lego this year. And that's only using my rewards bucks and coupons. I'm about to cancel my TRU credit card. it's just not worth it anymore.

Can you guys remember the sears catalog that they send out for xmas? Yes, sears used to sell toys. TRU was the placed to buy toys when I was a kid. KB was alittle bit more but I used to love them too.

Brickmythic
Knight
Knight

Post by Brickmythic » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:43 pm

slacker wrote: Can you guys remember the sears catalog that they send out for xmas? Yes, sears used to sell toys. TRU was the placed to buy toys when I was a kid. KB was alittle bit more but I used to love them too.
I loved those sears catalog's when I was a kid (late 70's/early 80's). especially the toys section! at least a hundred pages of toys, entire pages devoted to Kenner Star Wars action figures!

chenwaa123
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by chenwaa123 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:15 pm

Brickmythic wrote:
slacker wrote: Can you guys remember the sears catalog that they send out for xmas? Yes, sears used to sell toys. TRU was the placed to buy toys when I was a kid. KB was alittle bit more but I used to love them too.
I loved those sears catalog's when I was a kid (late 70's/early 80's). especially the toys section! at least a hundred pages of toys, entire pages devoted to Kenner Star Wars action figures!
In Canada we still get the Sears toy catalog. My son must have looked through it 10 times before christmas.

Neo
Knight
Knight

Post by Neo » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:41 am

My local Rockville, MD TRU markup is pretty high too... last time I looked...
the Mindstorm NXT 2.0 @ 362.99 (the Lego MRSP 279.99)
the Legend of Chima Equila @ 18.99 ( the Lego MRSP 14.99 )
the Technic Logger Truck @ 179.99 ( THE Lego MRSP 139.99)
the City Passenger Train @ 179.99 ( the lego MRSP 129.99)
--
the TRU sales and coupons tend to bring everything down to MRSP level...(9_9)

MoneyHypeMike
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by MoneyHypeMike » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:29 pm

Neo wrote:My local Rockville, MD TRU markup is pretty high too... last time I looked...
--
Hope you guys are enjoying Canadian MSRP :lol:

Neo
Knight
Knight

Post by Neo » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:59 pm

MoneyHypeMike wrote:
Neo wrote:My local Rockville, MD TRU markup is pretty high too... last time I looked...
--
Hope you guys are enjoying Canadian MSRP :lol:
Yeah... I know ... it could be much much worst. :roll:

ninjagoyo
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by ninjagoyo » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:45 pm

The only TRU in the SF Bay Area I know of with insane markups is, weirdly enough, in Pleasant Hill... basically Concord, not an upscale area AT ALL although not as ghetto as where some other TRUs are. They had the $199 Technic sets for $299 at one point. Also 6860 Batcave for 99.99. I never go there anymore.

kor
I'm New !

Post by kor » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:58 pm

TRU has gotten so bad that I don't even look any more. Several years ago, when LEGO wasn't marked up, we used to buy a ton of sets during their BOGO 50%. Its become a very sad place :(

toyz4me
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by toyz4me » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:40 pm

THIS should qualify...today TRU refused to price match their OWN website!! Ninjago 70503 was $38.99 at my local TRU, asked them to match the $29.99 TRU web price. "NOPE, we can't do that"

Very politely asked a manager the following question, "I wasn't even asking you to match a competitor or crazy online price, just your own websites price that would be back to SRP, so you would rather lose a sale completely then give me a price match that your company is promoting everywhere?"

"Yup"

Said thank you and out the door I went. Unbelievable!!

And they wonder why last years 4th quarter wasn't great...

Neo
Knight
Knight

Post by Neo » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:52 am

I just got two $5 TRU reward coupons on Thursday in the mail, so yesterday I went to my local TRU (Rockville, MD) - to see what they had in stock. It was was an odd collection of very old (Atlantis mini kits for 8.99) discontinued sets (e.g. Dino Triceratop) and very new sets ( the new non motorized Technic Excavator, 42006 about $97 ) and a several dozen sets of Star Wars Emperor Palpatine's Arrest (which btw is a very expensive set). It seems like they really took everything out of the store room in the rear so the shelves would look too empty but it just gave me the impression that upper management wants to keep their lego stock low. Surprisingly - the lego shelves for local Walmart (Germantown, MD) and the local Kmart (Aspen Hill, MD), and the local Target (Rockville, MD) seem to all exhibit this same behavior. In general, most of the clearance discounts for Legos is from 20% to 30% and there haven't been many. Even the local lego store (Tyson Corner) is having problems with keeping the shelves stock. So is this just for Lego? Well - both Kmart and Walmart toy section is shrinking in size - that is it appears that their CEO is thinking that toy sales at least in the next three months to six months is not going to have enough sales/profit so they decide to carry less toys and along with that the Lego shelf space is being cut as well.

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by slacker » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:05 pm

A buddy of mine used to work for TRU. He said all retailers slow down after xmas. They know that they will get alot of returns so no point of stocking up the shelves.

crazybirdman
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by crazybirdman » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:33 pm

They usually do inventory in jan/feb also, so they aren't eager to fill the shelves with more stuff to count.