Weight differences in sets?

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
melsig
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Weight differences in sets?

Post by melsig » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:17 pm

I just weighted 2 Sith Infiltrators I bought today at Walmart, and there's a full 1 oz difference between the sets. The seals on both look nice and tight but one is weighing in at 2 lbs 3.2 oz. and the other at 2 lbs 4.2 oz. Am I right to be concerned? I was planning on trying to sell these 2 sets, but now I'm thinking I'm going to have to open one of them up (also, does anyone else have a weight they could give me for their Sith Infiltrator? I'm not sure which to open!)

All of the other identical sets I weighed all came within .2 oz of each other by contrast which makes me suspicious.

Thanks for any info. you can provide.

Edit: Oh, sorry, it didn't even occur to me - should this be in the investing section instead? I'd want to know whether I planned on selling the sets or not, but I was planning on trying to sell these. Please feel free to move this if appropriate.

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Re: Weight differences in sets?

Post by Brick & Blue » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:05 pm

Lego weighs them before they go out to stores to make sure they didn't forget any pieces.

I think it's more likely your scale is iffy. Are you using a god scale? Or is it a small one where part of the box could be hanging off the side?

Morgan19
Knight
Knight

Post by Morgan19 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:47 pm

Nevermind... ;)
Last edited by Morgan19 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

melsig
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by melsig » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:32 pm

Well, it's a $50 digital kitchen scale - so, yes, part of the box is hanging off the side. However, none of the other boxes I've weighed have had this issue, so I thought it was peculiar.

Brickbuilder0937
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by Brickbuilder0937 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:59 pm

According to bricklink that set weighs 1,010 grams which is 2 pounds 3.63 ounces.

Brickmythic
Knight
Knight

Post by Brickmythic » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:00 am

sure thing,

I just pulled some from the back and weighed a bunch of them, they all weighed right around 2 lb 3.2 ounces (including what was a factory sealed case)

none of them weighed over 2 lb 4 ounces.

I have a decent shipping scale. I had to slightly shuffle contents of box to let it settle on one side and stand the box up lengthwise to accurately measure the same weight.

I don't think you have to worry about an ounce but it might be worth it to check that heavy one. like I said none of mine weighed as much as your heaviest one but all of them weighed about the same as your light one.

good luck

melsig
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by melsig » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:46 am

Brickbuilder0937 wrote:According to bricklink that set weighs 1,010 grams which is 2 pounds 3.63 ounces.
Ah, thank you - it didn't occur to me to check bricklink.

melsig
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by melsig » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:47 am

Brickmythic wrote:sure thing,

I just pulled some from the back and weighed a bunch of them, they all weighed right around 2 lb 3.2 ounces (including what was a factory sealed case)

none of them weighed over 2 lb 4 ounces.

I have a decent shipping scale. I had to slightly shuffle contents of box to let it settle on one side and stand the box up lengthwise to accurately measure the same weight.

I don't think you have to worry about an ounce but it might be worth it to check that heavy one. like I said none of mine weighed as much as your heaviest one but all of them weighed about the same as your light one.

good luck
Thank you for going to the trouble! I may check the heavy one.

melsig
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by melsig » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:12 am

Morgan19 wrote:Nevermind... ;)
I have to admit - I had to look twice! :lol:

crazybirdman
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by crazybirdman » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:32 pm

maybe you got two sets of instructions in the heavier one

melsig
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by melsig » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:44 pm

crazybirdman wrote:maybe you got two sets of instructions in the heavier one
Interesting - has that ever happened to you? Really, I wouldn't care so much, except that I decided to try to sell the sets. I'm not really a reseller, but I've been thinking more and more that it would be nice to try to recover costs somewhat given how much LEGO we now buy.

Kodiak10
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Kodiak10 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:24 pm

Make sure you shake everything to one end. Weight differences of a ounce isn't a big deal IMO. If they sound scrunchy inside like all bigger sets are back and forth and seals are perfect you got nothing to worry about:)

melsig
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by melsig » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:54 pm

Kodiak10 wrote:Make sure you shake everything to one end. Weight differences of a ounce isn't a big deal IMO. If they sound scrunchy inside like all bigger sets are back and forth and seals are perfect you got nothing to worry about:)
Okay, thanks, I will do that! It really does seem like a nice clean sealed set - I wouldn't have thought twice about it except for that weight discrepancy.

SpaceNinjaDino
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by SpaceNinjaDino » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:26 pm

I bought a scale that weighs to the 100th of a gram for CMF sorting. It is almost a waste because the same figure can vary up to half a gram while still in package. I didn't try to break it down from there because the point was to sort without opening and the dot method isn't always viable. There is overlap of these weight ranges, but you can narrow it down and then maybe feel for the differences at that point. Now I need an xray machine.

cornbread
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by cornbread » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:12 am

SpaceNinjaDino wrote:I bought a scale that weighs to the 100th of a gram for CMF sorting. It is almost a waste because the same figure can vary up to half a gram while still in package. I didn't try to break it down from there because the point was to sort without opening and the dot method isn't always viable. There is overlap of these weight ranges, but you can narrow it down and then maybe feel for the differences at that point. Now I need an xray machine.
It doesn't take much practice to get the feel method down to a science. I can effectively go through a full box in about 15-20 minutes now. And the more you feel a given series, the faster it will go. Even feeling series 9 for the first time, it only took about an hour and a half to sift through the entire stock at the Lego store.

melsig
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by melsig » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:59 am

cornbread wrote:
SpaceNinjaDino wrote:I bought a scale that weighs to the 100th of a gram for CMF sorting. It is almost a waste because the same figure can vary up to half a gram while still in package. I didn't try to break it down from there because the point was to sort without opening and the dot method isn't always viable. There is overlap of these weight ranges, but you can narrow it down and then maybe feel for the differences at that point. Now I need an xray machine.
It doesn't take much practice to get the feel method down to a science. I can effectively go through a full box in about 15-20 minutes now. And the more you feel a given series, the faster it will go. Even feeling series 9 for the first time, it only took about an hour and a half to sift through the entire stock at the Lego store.
I agree - once I sit down and go through them, there's always some identifying factor that will let me distinguish one from another, but it does make me want to scream at some point. If there were a completely reliable way to do it by weight, I'd probably do it that way. I bought a ton of S8 after Thanksgiving, but my local store would not let me buy a whole box at a time, citing purchase restrictions, so it's a true random amount. I just haven't been able to make myself sit down and go through them yet...