[REVIEW] 7950-1 Knight's Showdown

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

What rating would you give to this set?

Poor
11%
Average
67%
Excellent
22%

Total votes: 9

legitimatealex
Count
Count

[REVIEW] 7950-1 Knight's Showdown

Post by legitimatealex » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:46 pm

Indexed

7950-1 Knight's Showdown
Kingdoms
$6.99
61 pieces

This is going to be a short review because, well, its a small set. How small? Slightly above impulse set small. Let's start at the beginning with the box.

Bam, it's small. Nothing noteworthy to report here.

Now for the back. Look at that action shot. Push down your thumb and send the canister flying.

Now onto the best part, the minifigures. I'm not really a fan of Kingdoms. I'm a fan of the Castle theme in general, which is the only reason why they're really getting my business here. The only redeeming part of Kingdoms I can find is the minifigures and their accessories.

The Dragon knight, as I like to call him, has excellent printing on the legs and torso. The other guy has the standard printing for the Lions. He also looks like Seth Rogen. How odd.

There's excellent back printing too. Another plus for the minifigures. He doesn't look so much like Seth Rogen from back here.

Now with their battle gear. I didn't take a picture of all their accessories because there wasn't anything particularly new here. The helmet is new but I've shown it in another review. This is dark pearl gray, as is the sword (not featured in this picture). There's a full helmet for Seth Rogen as well. There's only one shield for Seth Rogen and none for the Dragon knight. The shield for Seth Rogen is attached to his tiny catapult for some reason.

Now here's the finished set, minus the minifigures. It's a standard catapult. There really is nothing here that hasn't been used in, let's see, every single Castle theme. There's a stand with the sword and flag, a staple from the jousting sets that seem to come eventually in every line. Then there's the catapult with the shield. It comes with two canisters for firing. It doesn't really knock over anything.

Now from the front/side/back.

Now the whole thing!

Seth Rogen challenges the Dragon knight to a duel, or something. I can't fathom the situation here. The Dragon knight sets up a small shrine to his sword, while favoring his axe and is surprised by the Lion guy pulling his tiny catapult? What is the story here? I can't figure it out! It's cool for cats.

Alright so here's the breakdown.

Is this set worth getting? No... It's really for the Dragon knight that you would get this set. There's a cheap one here and a cheap Lions Knight in the Prison Carriage Rescue. Even up the sides don't you know. Other than the minifigures I would pass on this set wholeheartedly. Get a battle pack.

Are there any good pieces? Once again, the minifigures accessories, maybe. I'm disappointed by the lack of shields here. I want a shield for each figure that isn't an archer. They're being stingy. Other than that no. There are no good/rare/useful pieces here. Its all pretty standard.

Is this set worth the money? Probably not. Yes, there is a good minifigure, but for about 8 more dollars you could get yourself 5 good minifigures of either side. The battle packs make these smaller sets redundant sometimes.

There you have it. I encourage you to write your own reviews and share them here!
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

Tomatoe
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: [REVIEW] 7950-1 Knight's Showdown

Post by Tomatoe » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:19 pm

Cheap little set which I'm sure not many people will mind with the value and price.

beans
Peasant
Peasant

Post by beans » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:09 am

Problem is, the battle packs have reportedly had a number of quality control issues. :(

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:54 am

While I agree it is small, and nothing spectacular, I disagree that it shouldn't be gotten.
The catapult is useful for attacks on the castle.

I feel it IS worth the money, especially if you can get a couple with the BOGO at TRU right now.

But that is just my 2 cents. :ugeek:
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:09 am

You should save up those 2 cents for another set :P

Alright so no one really seems too put off to pay the $7 for this set. I wasn't. I always buy the smaller sets first to see how much I really enjoy the line. I just really wish they tried something more original for the smaller sets.

As for attacking the castle with this catapult I think you should pass on that. Go for the bigger one in the tower set in this line, which I'll be reviewing sometime this weekend :D

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:37 am

legitimatealex wrote: As for attacking the castle with this catapult I think you should pass on that. Go for the bigger one in the tower set in this line, which I'll be reviewing sometime this weekend :D
I have lots of 2 cents, so I dont save them. :D
and I have the outpost attack, but I can get 3 little catapults for about the cost of another big one. :mrgreen: .
Also the dragon guy is better in the little set than in the outpost attack, so can get several cool dragon knights, although the one that comes with the castle (http://www.brickset.com/minifigs/?m=cas452) has sweet body armor, like to get some more of him (there is a similar ones in battle pack)
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

funnypeople
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by funnypeople » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:16 am

Thanks for this review. I agree everything with you except the "worth getting" part. Still a decent set at a decent price. ;)

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:22 am

I just want to inform you all that despite not recommending getting this set I bought a second one :o

I ordered a magnet set from LEGO and wanted to use the brickmaster code for $5 off so I had to throw something on there to bring the price up lol.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:47 am

legitimatealex wrote:I just want to inform you all that despite not recommending getting this set I bought a second one :o

I ordered a magnet set from LEGO and wanted to use the brickmaster code for $5 off so I had to throw something on there to bring the price up lol.
lol. I just bought 2 more myself, with the clearance duplo tanker.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:22 pm

Probably a smart idea. I'm warming up to Kingdoms. I think I was just in denial that the Fantasy era was coming to an end. I reaaaaaally liked it.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:50 am

legitimatealex wrote:Probably a smart idea. I'm warming up to Kingdoms. I think I was just in denial that the Fantasy era was coming to an end. I reaaaaaally liked it.
Understandable.
I very much like the current Kingdoms sets. Have only one or two previous generations of castle sets, so this is the first that I have gotten the entire set so far sans wizard/joker impulse sets.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:03 am

Well start stockpiling your weapons. You're soon going to relish every sword and axe that comes extra in a set.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:25 am

one thing i noticed is this is the only set in the current release, other than battle pack, with the fixed grill helmet the lion knight has.

i think its a cool one, glad ill have three. :ugeek:

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:15 pm

ncbarrett wrote:one thing i noticed is this is the only set in the current release, other than battle pack, with the fixed grill helmet the lion knight has.

i think its a cool one, glad ill have three. :ugeek:
Haha its quite a nice helmet. I'll be more happy about having more Dragon Knights. I don't like that there is a unbalance between the two available in the sets (more Lion Knights than Dragon Knights).