LEGO Renews Star Wars License

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
legitimatealex
Count
Count

Re: LEGO Renews Star Wars License

Post by legitimatealex » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:27 pm

I wish they hadn't renewed the license. The Star Wars line is basically reduced to releasing the same set over and over again every 3 years and never allowing LEGO to create another space line that can actually compete. I think they already focus far too much on the Star Wars line as it is. At my Walmart and Target, Star Wars takes up over half the aisle. I'm ready for more original themes and less licensing.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

koromo
Knight
Knight

Post by koromo » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:13 pm

I would say good news for new collectors as theyll have a chance to pick up "missed" sets of an earlier era.

I however wont chase after every re-re-release. I like that my only basic tie fighter is the most recent one(alot nicer than the black and blue of an older era), but I am very content with previous X-wing, Y-wing, Sith Infiltrator and so on.(prices were better then as well)

The major reason I picked up the most recent slave I was the incredible markdown plus coupon deal at target in winter 2010.
Lego Fan based in Seacoast Area of New Hampshire.

unclephn
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by unclephn » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:22 am

ncbarrett wrote:I think that the fact that they are venturing into making ships from the The Old Republic game shows they are realizing they need original ships, not re-hashes.
Perhaps there is still hope.
I agree, and that's kind of what I touched upon in my initial post. It's definitely a good sign to see the upcoming ships this summer from The Old Republic MMO. Hopefully with it's continued popularity, we'll see some brand new sets coming out of it. New source material = new potential sets.

knicky
I'm New !

Post by knicky » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:20 pm

The star wars franchise I think has a lot more coming in general. Lucas group controls what they release and how very carefully to keep their cult status. Not that they arn't prone to mistakes (Jar jar?) but overtime I think as a collector these sets (even the new ones) will continue to retain their value.

As a huge fan of Lego I actually only collect star wars legos due to the personal significance attached to it. I can't really identify with the other sets because I haven't grown up watching the movies and reading the books. I think this is the same for a lot of people and why themes like Star Wars won't be going away anytime soon.