LEGO Renews Star Wars License

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
unclephn
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

LEGO Renews Star Wars License

Post by unclephn » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:21 am

This article reports that LEGO has renewed it's Star Wars licensing deal with Lucasfilms for the next ten years.

I only hope they continue to find new source material to base new sets on that are outside of the Original Trilogy, Prequel Trilogy, and Clone Wars tv series. The upcoming summer wave is a nice start, having sets coming out of the SWTOR game. Hopefully the upcoming live-action tv series will provide new material, and help breathe some new life into the LEGO Star Wars theme.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Re: LEGO Renews Star Wars License

Post by vynsane » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:58 am

Well, it's good to see that Hasbro isn't going to steal it away any time soon (via Kre-O) as I had posited elsewhere. They would definitely be the only true competitor for the license, what with their LucasFilm deals for action figures.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

that guy
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by that guy » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:25 pm

While I'm as excited as the next person (or possible even more), I also realize this may mean excessive repetition with the Falcons, Slaves, Speeders, Starfighters, and countless CW ships and figures that OT people like me have no idea who or what they are. But bring it on!!

....plus the thought of SW ever falling into the hands of Hasbro is just disgusting so I'll take all the repops of any ship over that option. :sick:

Cimmerian
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Cimmerian » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:36 pm

I quit collecting the action figures a few years back when I read that Hasbro had extended their license for 10 years. I thought about all that money and space that it would take.
But I'm glad to hear about another 10 years of Star Wars Lego! There's still lots of ships and minifigs that came out before I got into this mess that I don't have.

popnfresh
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by popnfresh » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:43 pm

So thats they the new sets are at even more ridiculous price points :lol: gotta pay the man.

Brickbuilder0937
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by Brickbuilder0937 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:45 pm

I wonder what the chances are of getting a droid control ship in the next ten years. That could make a really nice UCS set. :-)

tired
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by tired » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:16 pm

We might as well start listing sets that we want now

natelite
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by natelite » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:08 pm

i think the market is already suffering from sw fatigue. i kinda doubt the future sets are going to sell as well as in the past. we'll see...

Sinfanti
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Sinfanti » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:27 pm

No surprise here. SW is their goose that lays the golden eggs.

Blacknight
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Blacknight » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:57 am

Oh goody goody joy joy. :crazy:

bigw1974
Citizen
Citizen

Post by bigw1974 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:04 am

Good. That takes us through all the 3D re-releases and then some. Now where's my Star Trek LEGO?

pumbaugh
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by pumbaugh » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:12 am

Star Trek was just sold to Kreo...

http://www.toysnbricks.com/forums/viewt ... =63&t=5205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bigw1974
Citizen
Citizen

Post by bigw1974 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:06 am

pumbaugh wrote:Star Trek was just sold to Kreo...

http://www.toysnbricks.com/forums/viewt ... =63&t=5205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yuck.

SpaceNinjaDino
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by SpaceNinjaDino » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:15 pm

Can I get my mini A/B/Y-Wings now? Plus more mini-TIEs. (Not the junky ones that were in the Advent Calendar.)

sadowsk1
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by sadowsk1 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:29 pm

I know Lego recycles sets to make them accessible to new fans but they really have the afols pegged to keep buying. I mean really, a new boba fett with printed legs? This is madness! Any bets that they will release another fett with printed arms inside of a year? (couldn't tell if the new one has that in the pictures)

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:14 am

sadowsk1 wrote:I know Lego recycles sets to make them accessible to new fans but they really have the afols pegged to keep buying. I mean really, a new boba fett with printed legs? This is madness! Any bets that they will release another fett with printed arms inside of a year? (couldn't tell if the new one has that in the pictures)
It is a rip-off that TLG didn't print boba's leg for set 8097, and they even put frozen Han Solo's carbonate into upcoming Jabba Palace. They are damaging the value of Slave I box set.

According to the way TLG keeping to mark up LEGO Star Wars set and re-release minifigs in new set, it seems TLG do not care much for the long-run. It just makes people back out from the hobby of collecting Lego. LEGO had experienced downfall before, and at the same time they were getting close to bankruptcy; therefore, they realized that sooner or later LEGO may possibly become a history. Currently, they just want to get as much money as they can from AFOL and parents before LEGO has been completely retiring from toy market. Nowaday, grown-up kids don't play LEGO anymore and their focus were on electronic products, how many of them would introduce LEGO to their next generation??? So, I speculate LEGO is taking the direction of making short-run profit, and this could explain why there are many licensed products this year, and tons of CMF releases.

Look, more people will be starting to sell their cloud city set. Many of us may foresee a new release of cloud city from TLG because of Star Wars License Renewal. I really don't know if this 10yrs renewal is good or bad. :roll: However, IMO, I0 yrs is too long, in which many sets and minifigures could be re-released that is hurting the secondary mkt.

natelite
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by natelite » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:45 am

@legohunter: exactly what I said. Sw fatigue. Way too many of the same sets and mini figures.

sadowsk1
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by sadowsk1 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:40 am

natelite wrote:@legohunter: exactly what I said. Sw fatigue. Way too many of the same sets and mini figures.
As far as what Lego has planned doesn't matter to me. All I know is that if I get a second run to get all the sets I missed out on when I was in my dark ages I'm in and then out, lol.

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:47 pm

legohunter wrote:It is a rip-off that TLG didn't print boba's leg for set 8097, and they even put frozen Han Solo's carbonate into upcoming Jabba Palace. They are damaging the value of Slave I box set.

According to the way TLG keeping to mark up LEGO Star Wars set and re-release minifigs in new set, it seems TLG do not care much for the long-run. It just makes people back out from the hobby of collecting Lego. LEGO had experienced downfall before, and at the same time they were getting close to bankruptcy; therefore, they realized that sooner or later LEGO may possibly become a history. Currently, they just want to get as much money as they can from AFOL and parents before LEGO has been completely retiring from toy market. Nowaday, grown-up kids don't play LEGO anymore and their focus were on electronic products, how many of them would introduce LEGO to their next generation??? So, I speculate LEGO is taking the direction of making short-run profit, and this could explain why there are many licensed products this year, and tons of CMF releases.

Look, more people will be starting to sell their cloud city set. Many of us may foresee a new release of cloud city from TLG because of Star Wars License Renewal. I really don't know if this 10yrs renewal is good or bad. :roll: However, IMO, I0 yrs is too long, in which many sets and minifigures could be re-released that is hurting the secondary mkt.
Thats the thing I don't like about LEGO Star Wars anymore. 8097 Slave I barley has any exclusive minifigures really as you can get Boba Fett in the new $20 Desert Skiff set and Carbonite Han Solo in Jabba's Palace. When they charge $80, you'd except it was for the new minifigures. Rarely do any set becomes special anymore because LEGO keeps recycling the minifigures and remaking the set in some other form.

I'm bout to give up on this line really. Used to collect all the sets but its getting way too pricey. Plus, I don't like how LEGO keeps re-releasing the same sets many times (very frequently too) and then bumping the price up by adding some "new" figures (only to be recycled in other sets later on). How many Slave I, Y-wings, X-wings do we really need? All these new sets just gets bumped up to a slightly lower "aftermarket" price of the old sets. (i.e Jabba's Palace for $120 and General Grievous Starfighter for $50). :down:

Very soon, we'll see remakes of Republic Attack Gunship and AT-TE again. MSRP will be bumped up to $120 for AT-TE and $150 for Republic Attack Gunship. Maybe even higher if they add a couple more "new" minifigures and some small pieces. :lol:

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:11 pm

I think that the fact that they are venturing into making ships from the The Old Republic game shows they are realizing they need original ships, not re-hashes.
Perhaps there is still hope.

No one says you have to buy all the sets they make. ;-)
just the ones you want.

if they re-makes don't sell then in 5 years we wont see them anymore. :up:
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!