[REVIEW] 7949 Prison Carriage Rescue

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

What rating would you give to this set?

Poor
No votes
Average
67%
Excellent
33%

Total votes: 9

legitimatealex
Count
Count

[REVIEW] 7949 Prison Carriage Rescue

Post by legitimatealex » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:39 pm

Indexed

So after telling myself that the Kingdoms line just wasn't worth it, that it was just another run of every single Castle line that there has ever been, ever will be, etc. etc. etc., I bought another set. It kept eying me at Walmart and I couldn't resist. So here it is, my review of 7949, Prison Carriage Rescue.

The Box: Not much to say here. 50 pieces, $9.99, 3 minifigures, 1 horse that is masquerading as a unicorn.

Here are all the pieces, minus the minifigures. It should be noted that the 'yellow' cheese slopes are actually pearl gold, which took me by a bit of surprise.

The minifigure accessories warranted their own photo. The helmet is new of course, which is one of the nicest new additions in this Castle line. The move to a dark gray is, of course, a welcome change to the now all too common silver gray. The dark gray sword is particularly attractive to me. It just looks a bit more menacing. The 'unicorn' horn comes off the helmet and anything of the size of a piece that can fit in a minifigure's hand can fit in the hole in the horse helmet. Try adding a spear or an axe for a nice longhorn effect :)

Here are the wonderful minifigures. The knight's chest is of particularly great quality. The printing is superb and gives a great breastplate effect. This is definitely my favorite part of the whole Kingdom's line so far.

The back of the minifigures all have printing. The 'prisoner' has a double sided face. The knight has even more back printing, completing the breastplate effect.

Here's the finished product. There's not much to say here really. Having made a number of these from pretty much EVERY Castle line, they're all variations on the same theme. This one is pretty sad actually. The back is nothing but a half ladder folded upwards. There's nothing there to really keep him from escaping and they even have a spear and a torch within the prisoner's reach! That's just poor planning.

Here's the knight come to rescue the prisoner! I wonder what he did to be captured in the first place? I wonder if the unicorn will simply run the knight through? I hope so :twisted:

Overall its a decent set for the minifigures and if you don't want to spring for the battle packs/want more cavalry then this will probably become an army builder. Piece wise, its really not worth the money. It gives you a nice cross section of the changes that the Kingdom line has made from the previous Fantasy line, but overall I'm not too impressed.

Still worth having for the minifigures, but could easily be replaced with a battle pack.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [REVIEW] 7949 Prison Carriage Rescue

Post by Ice » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:56 pm

Thanks for the review!

brickz
Knight
Knight

Post by brickz » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:53 pm

Prision is small and $10 for 50 pieces? Sigh

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:45 pm

It does fit the prisoner but not very well. You couldn't squeeze another person in there if you wanted to. You have to bend him backwards a bit.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:13 am

legitimatealex wrote:There's nothing there to really keep him from escaping and they even have a spear and a torch within the prisoner's reach! That's just poor planning.
The addition of one accessory, a pair of the minifigure handcuffs to serve as shackles would have gone a long way to assuage this issue. All in all, seems like a good concept that got derailed by poor execution.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:57 am

vynsane wrote:... All in all, seems like a good concept that got derailed by poor execution.
With this carriage, I believe there will be no execution here. :lol:
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

TClone
Knight
Knight

Post by TClone » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:15 am

I really like the armored horse! Much better than the Prince of Persia one I own.

Alyvin
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Alyvin » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:28 pm

Good review. I like the figures and the horse.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:25 pm

vynsane wrote:
legitimatealex wrote:There's nothing there to really keep him from escaping and they even have a spear and a torch within the prisoner's reach! That's just poor planning.
The addition of one accessory, a pair of the minifigure handcuffs to serve as shackles would have gone a long way to assuage this issue. All in all, seems like a good concept that got derailed by poor execution.
I definitely agree with you here. Apparently security is not what the 'prison' carriage is built for. It's just for show >.>

xeno
Peasant
Peasant

Post by xeno » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:16 am

Hey nice pics, and review.
Generally I like the figs and their expressions.
Hmmm... If I wanted to build an army I would surely buy 2 or 3 of those, (Since we don't have any knight battle packs here!! :cry: ) along with 3-4 sets of the small catapult (7950).
But again,10 bucks only for getting those 3 figs, would be too much.

Oh, and I don't like the prison cart that much. I would like it to be bigger.

Value, accessories, figs: 7 out of 10