Steal of a Deal / Recent LEGO Purchases

Share your LEGO Sales and LEGO Deals Finds here.
Forum rules
Please remember that Store Pricing topics should be placed in the "Retailer Discussions" Forum. If you find new LEGO products (and not on sale), please post in the "LEGO Availability" Forum.
raccooneyes
I'm New !

Re: Steal of a Deal / Recent LEGO Purchases

Post by raccooneyes » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:35 pm

Hi Guys, I'm new to the whole lego thing. They are super pricey so I've been researching how to get better deals on them.

Went to my local Kmart Yesterday (I'm in Jacksonville, NC.) and checked there clearance isle and didn't see any legos. I then went to the regular lego isle and everything was priced msrp.

As I was leaving I saw out the corner of my eye a Star wars rebel trooper battle pack set 8083 and I recalled seeing them last year so I figured I would check the price on it since it looked like a old set. There was a employee in the lego isle with the scan gun and she scanned it and it was only $3. Couldn't turn that down so I scooped that up. Then I noticed there was a Lego city passenger plane set #3181 it was marked reduced at $30, normal price was $40, I also recalled seeing this last year and thought I would get it scanned just to see if it was reduced further. Sure enough she scanned it and it was only $15.

I was so ecstatic because I never find good clearance lego deals around here as I try to find them at atleast 50% off or more. And these are my 1st two sets I every purchased in store. I hope I can find more good deals in the future, I guess all that research paid off. But yeah defiantly scan the stuff to see if its reduced further.

For what ever reason I can't find good deals at walmart, its so annoying. They put msrp lego sets in the clearance isle, its so ridiculous. I have a hard time with toysrus too, It doesn't seem like there stuff ever goes on clearance accept for maybe a couple bucks off and even they they are still super expensive. Also went to target and saw a prince of persia set on clearance but it was only 25% off so I didn't get it, wish it was reduced further though....

If anyone has any tips for lego clearance purchasing then please let me know. Sorry about the long post :oops:

kyzr44
I'm New !

Post by kyzr44 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:21 pm

I just picked up four of the 7593 Buzz's Star Command Spaceship for $5 each @ my local K-Mart.
give a man a fish you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and you lose a great business opportunity

SpaceNinjaDino
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by SpaceNinjaDino » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:09 pm

raccooneyes wrote:If anyone has any tips for lego clearance purchasing then please let me know.
The best thing to do is watch this topic and the front page for notices of new sales. Once I found this site, I bought a lot more LEGO at good prices.

The best time to find many deals is around October-January it seems. Amazon will have 1-2 flash deals during Black Friday. TRU will have promos too. Then watch for January clearance.

Good luck.

raccooneyes
I'm New !

Post by raccooneyes » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:33 pm

SpaceNinjaDino wrote:
raccooneyes wrote:If anyone has any tips for lego clearance purchasing then please let me know.
The best thing to do is watch this topic and the front page for notices of new sales. Once I found this site, I bought a lot more LEGO at good prices.

The best time to find many deals is around October-January it seems. Amazon will have 1-2 flash deals during Black Friday. TRU will have promos too. Then watch for January clearance.

Good luck.

Awesome, thanks alot for the tips, I'll keep an eye out :)

peanut
Knight
Knight

Post by peanut » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:26 pm

Went to the LEGO store to pick up a damaged box Flagship for 20% off. Not a huge deal, but it was nice not having to buy 2 or anything like that to save on a big set and while there I spied grab bags. Almost didn't see them - they always pop up in a new spot :shifty: Most of the parts were from Tower Bridge and the Pet Shop which I thought was kinda cool.

Cara
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Cara » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:31 pm

Glendale LEGO store has scorpions on the brick wall. (Not the BAM boxes, the brick wall!!!). Hehe came home with a big pot of them.

Zeya
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by Zeya » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:56 pm

Mentioned in the dedicated thread also, but I finally happened to find a single lonely Bullseye gift card at Target while Black Friday shopping. Can't beat what is essentially free Lego, right? I can't believe I found one. They never have these things available by me, people must just buy them immediately.

yihsheng
I'm New !

Post by yihsheng » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:37 pm

finally got my 10199 Winter Toy Shop from Amazon.fr at USD 52 included shipping,
also bought the Winter Bakery but they ship it separately and amazingly, they only charge one time for shipping as i order together.

evo8hks
Knight
Knight

Post by evo8hks » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:56 pm

I won this auction http://www.ebay.com/itm/170737333340?ss ... 1497.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. It has 30+ 20004 Indiana Jones polybags, which are going the lowest for $44 a bag on Bricklink. Now I just need some people to buy them off me.

markg11cdn
Peasant
Peasant

Post by markg11cdn » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:21 pm

evo8hks wrote:I won this auction http://www.ebay.com/itm/170737333340?ss ... 1497.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. It has 30+ 20004 Indiana Jones polybags, which are going the lowest for $44 a bag on Bricklink. Now I just need some people to buy them off me.
At 5 sold in the last 6 months (on Bricklink) I think you'd better be thinking of a giant Indiana Jones MOC instead :)

dehnehsu
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by dehnehsu » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:30 pm

I found a new plastic tub, 674 piece LEGO 5482 Ultimate House Building Set at our local Goodwill for $2.99 total (No tax at Goodwills) The bricks were still sealed in their polybags. The only thing missing was the cardboard outer wrap and Idea booklet. Goodwill has been pricing their Legos higher than in the past, I suspect they thought some of the pieces were missing since there was a lot of empty space in the box. That's why it was so cheap? With 674 pieces, that comes to about 1 penny for 2 and 1/4 bricks. or .004 cents per brick!

hardtravelinghero
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by hardtravelinghero » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:54 pm

markg11cdn wrote:
evo8hks wrote:I won this auction http://www.ebay.com/itm/170737333340?ss ... 1497.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. It has 30+ 20004 Indiana Jones polybags, which are going the lowest for $44 a bag on Bricklink. Now I just need some people to buy them off me.
At 5 sold in the last 6 months (on Bricklink) I think you'd better be thinking of a giant Indiana Jones MOC instead :)
Mark, could you please rephrase that as I'm having trouble understanding what you're trying to communicate.

legogod
Knight
Knight

Post by legogod » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:02 am

He means don't go getting your hopes up for selling all of those Indiana Jones polybags for 44 dollars apiece. Only idiots pay those prices. Mark was suggesting opening them and building them together with your own collection to make a pretty sweet Indiana Jones scene/ moc/ vehicle.

Jared

hardtravelinghero
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by hardtravelinghero » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:07 am

legogod wrote:He means don't go getting your hopes up for selling all of those Indiana Jones polybags for 44 dollars apiece. Only idiots pay those prices. Mark was suggesting opening them and building them together with your own collection to make a pretty sweet Indiana Jones scene/ moc/ vehicle.

Jared
Thanks. Wasn't sure what the "at 5 sold..." meant, as in, did they sell for $5 a piece or were there 5 of them that had sold in that time period... But yeah... $44.00 for a little polybag set is insane.

legogod
Knight
Knight

Post by legogod » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:22 am

You can look at the selling history of a set on Bricklink and only five did sell in the last few months-so don't hold your breath...

EDIT: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?S=20004-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jared

hardtravelinghero
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by hardtravelinghero » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:27 am

Cool, Jared. I didn't know that could be done.

I haven't used Bricklink yet but probably will some day. I'm still a brick and mortar and flea market and yard sale sort of person, with a bit of eBay thrown in occasionally.

There's probably some more appropriate forum for this conversation as I'd hate to anger the forum/thread gods. In the meantime I appreciate the first steps in my Bricklink education.

ezra
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by ezra » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:25 pm

I finally pulled the trigger on buying the star wars advent calendar with the TRU Bogo50. While I was at about 50, I thought to myself i might as well round it off and apply that $15 dollars off $100 coupon. So I just added the 5767 Cool Cruiser for mocfodder. here's the breakdown of my purchase before taxes.

SWadvent on sale: 30.32
SWadvent Bogo: 15.16
5767 Cool cruiser: 34.66
5767 Bogo: 17.32

SW Calendar, in other words: 45.48 total or 22.98 each
5767 Cool Cruiser 51.98 total or 25.99 each

Grand total 97.46
also with free shipping.

I think the $15off100 applied across each set,but I'm not sure. Although I know the full msrp for 5767 is supposed 39.99

How'd I do?

harrelmusic
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by harrelmusic » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:00 pm

I used the Amazon $10-off when using Mastercard and spending $50 (after already getting the $10 off $100), plus $45 in gift card money from Blue Cross/Blue Shield...which you earn a few cents and dollars at time by logging activities and doctor's visits, etc...

I bought Emerald Night for $34.99 out of pocket.

I wish I could give it to my oldest son for Christmas, but thanks to TnB, I'm pretty much set on gifts for the next 7 Christmases and birthdays for both of my sons...and me. My bank account on the other hand..... :-)

BuzzMonkey
Peasant
Peasant

Post by BuzzMonkey » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:38 am

Just bought Lego Police Boat 7287 at KMart in New York City for $16.50. There was one on the clearance shelf and then I found two more in the lego aisle.

Had to use price scanner it to see discounted price. It was still tagged at $40.

lego dad
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by lego dad » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:27 pm

BuzzMonkey wrote:Just bought Lego Police Boat 7287 at KMart in New York City for $16.50. There was one on the clearance shelf and then I found two more in the lego aisle.

Had to use price scanner it to see discounted price. It was still tagged at $40.

So this wasn't one of Kmart's advertised get an additional 50% off clearance items? Were there any other LEGO clearance items?