[USA] Special Invitation for VIP Members to shop before Black/Brick Friday

Share your LEGO Sales and LEGO Deals Finds here.
Forum rules
Please remember that Store Pricing topics should be placed in the "Retailer Discussions" Forum. If you find new LEGO products (and not on sale), please post in the "LEGO Availability" Forum.
atmail35
Duke
Duke

Re: [USA] Special Invitation for VIP Members to shop before

Post by atmail35 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:46 pm

garyjh22 wrote:So, what type of deals would they have? Is it just a free polybag set or something? Or do they have some good sale prices?

BTW......Ive never bought anything at a Brick and Mortar store, so the invites must be for total purcahases (including online)
The typical Black Friday deal is a scratch off card that has either 10, 20 or 50% off your purchase. Obviously most people only get 10% off. You can get the Holiday Set part 2 with a $99 purchase.

The invite really makes it seem like you are just getting the same deals a few days earlier.

sidersdd
Knight
Knight

Post by sidersdd » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:53 pm

FYI, here is a pic of the invite envelope:

that guy
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by that guy » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:15 pm

Wow, that's FANCY!! I hope I find one at home. I'm hoping after $10k last year I was at least considered, but you never know what their thresholds are.

unclephn
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by unclephn » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:20 pm

legobricks wrote:I don't think it has anything to do with purchasing at a single store. It is all purchases made (store and online) using your VIP card. I only purchase online and I was invited (10 of 24) to my nearest store in NJ.
Ah, okay that makes more sense. Considering the only two stores near me (in Ontario, Canada) both just opened up in the past year, I'm crossing my fingers that I'll get an invite.

JAYMATIK
Peasant
Peasant

Post by JAYMATIK » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:46 pm

I was at the LEGO store the other day and from what the Store Manager told me, the invite is not determined purely by how much you've spent. If that was the case, he said he would have seen a few people on his list that are resellers and spend easily thousands of dollars each month, but he didn't. I'm on the list, but a friend of mine who spends more isn't. Total invited to my local store is 25. Interesting.

that guy
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by that guy » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:11 pm

My buddy just called and got one, I still have to wait to get off work to see if I did. Either way I'M THERE!! Now let's just hope the deals are decent.

anthonyj8
Knight
Knight

Post by anthonyj8 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:29 pm

I really hope I get invited. There wasn't an invite in my mailbox today, but I'll keep my fingers crossed! Althoug I know that I only spent a few hundred dollars at the LEGO Store using my VIP card total. Only time will tell.

that guy
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by that guy » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:59 pm

Has anyone considered what it's going to be like with up to 52 people (26 invites + 26 guests) in one of those stores all panicking for product in less than an hour? In my experience it takes hours just to spend $2-3k with maybe 20 people in the store??? Pandemonium at it's best. I'll still be there but I'm just saying...

notenoughbricks
I'm New !

Post by notenoughbricks » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:48 pm

Received invite for the Garden City, NY store, # X of 30.
Anyway, if the deal is less than 30% off, it is less than what we are given for dropping off a model for the LUG Showcases and wouldn't be worthwhile for me to go down from a financial/adding to the LEGO collection standpoint but I see this as a great way to possibly meet other AFOLs in the area who haven't heard of I LUG NY or didn't know there are other adults out there building with LEGO still.

Hopefully this can be a way for us to meet other AFOLs and save some serious $$$$$!

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:16 pm

No invite in the mail today... my P.O. is a bit slow sometimes, so maybe there's still hope, but I doubt it.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

mah4546
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by mah4546 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:25 pm

If the invites all were sent at the same time from CT, then those in the east and central time zones should probably have gotten them today or tomorrow at the latest, those in mountain and pacific in the next two to three days.

peanut
Knight
Knight

Post by peanut » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:30 pm

hmmm maybe there is still hope for me then!

chris2348
Peasant
Peasant

Post by chris2348 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:34 pm

Not in the mailbox today! I'm in northern Illinois so maybe tomorrow?

anthonyj8
Knight
Knight

Post by anthonyj8 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:36 pm

Would you be allowed to go even if you didn't get an invite? I know you wouldn't be able to have all of the special offers, but is there going to be a set of hours at the Lego Store where only VIPs are allowed?

BrickUpdate
Knight
Knight

Post by BrickUpdate » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:41 pm

Two questions:

1. I don't remember there being any insane deals at LEGO Store on Black Friday, mostly those scratch off cards with a chance for at least 10% off, and up to 50% off in rare cases. What is everyone expecting?

2. Based on the responses in this thread, it seems New Jersey is home to many of you! I call it home as well.

Thanks.
-Dan

popnfresh
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by popnfresh » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:37 pm

ive had a lego store worker tell me hes never seen a vip account with that many points

i hope i get one in the mail in the next few days

dwhyde
I'm New !

Post by dwhyde » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:38 pm

I got one today. 25 of 26 for the Washington Square store in Tigard, OR.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:45 pm

anthonyj8 wrote:Would you be allowed to go even if you didn't get an invite? I know you wouldn't be able to have all of the special offers, but is there going to be a set of hours at the Lego Store where only VIPs are allowed?
I don't think you can "get in" without the invite. They don't want extra people taking up space. The "event" is only for one hour 9-10am at the store I was invited to (and the store is not normally open at that hour). I'm not sure why anyone would want to go if you can't get the "deals", that would be pointless no?

The invite claims you need to: 1) RSVP first, 2) Invite, VIP AND Photo ID are needed - geez it's harder to get into this event then a club in the City :lol: I will chuckle if they really make everyone pull out a photo id :roll:

On another note, since a lot of CT was without power for so long, it is possible the mail has been delayed. The postmark was the 3rd and it arrived to me (MA) on the 8th - which actually is a bit slower than I'd expect so perhaps some of the mail has gotten held up.

calvinwashere2
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by calvinwashere2 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:17 pm

atmail35 wrote:My invitation is for November 19th. I'm not sure if that is across the board.

It sounds like you also get the mystery scratch card, but it does not really specify. Also it appears that a limited number of people are being invited, but that could be to hype it up. I'd be happy to not have to go at 5AM on Black Friday though!
Same here...for the 19th. I'm with you on how this will work. Probably get a scratcher for 10-50% off with someone from the pool getting the 50% and most of the rest will be of the 10% variety (with my luck I already know how big of a discount it will be). In small prints at the bottom it says you get the free holiday set if you spend $99 or more so that would be the 2 of 2 set which is the continuation from the October deal. Hopefully, it will be more things, but I'm not holding my breath. It'll be like BF except early and you don't have to fight the crowd just the other Lego fans. :lol:

KyleJohnson11
Citizen
Citizen

Post by KyleJohnson11 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:24 pm

dwhyde wrote:I got one today. 25 of 26 for the Washington Square store in Tigard, OR.
Congrats! I'm really jealous :) Which part of Portland are you from? I'm in Wilsonville.