2012 LEGO Star Wars (January)

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
natelite
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: 2012 LEGO Star Wars (January)

Post by natelite » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:09 pm

i guess it was necessary. just see the success of their collectible minifig series. everyone is in on the game now. squinkies, playmo, megabloks, even disney. everywhere you go you can see all these mystery collectible figurines. i'm kind of sick of it already. also we keep getting tons of snowboarders, skateboarders, etc. need more uniques! :razz:

1brickshyofcrazy
Knight
Knight

Post by 1brickshyofcrazy » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:26 am

If this set 9494 Jedi Fighter is indeed a 2012 release to bad there is no hyper-ring to go with it like the 7661 set. :sad:

esurient
I'm New !

Post by esurient » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:19 pm

natelite wrote:i guess it was necessary. just see the success of their collectible minifig series. everyone is in on the game now. squinkies, playmo, megabloks, even disney. everywhere you go you can see all these mystery collectible figurines. i'm kind of sick of it already. also we keep getting tons of snowboarders, skateboarders, etc. need more uniques! :razz:
not just toys, apparently ice cream followed this trend as well

natelite
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by natelite » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:27 am

how about mystery planet sets? instead of revealing what you're going to get, wrap everything up in a plastic bag. after all, every planet is round, so there's no way of telling what you're going to get. wow...talk about the ultimate collectible SW series! only remotely possible way to distinguishing what you're going to get is to read the dots. no more squeeze and feel method! and at $5 or $10 a pop, collectors are going to go crazy trying to complete the series! ;-)

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:00 am

natelite wrote:how about mystery planet sets? instead of revealing what you're going to get, wrap everything up in a plastic bag. after all, every planet is round, so there's no way of telling what you're going to get. wow...talk about the ultimate collectible SW series! only remotely possible way to distinguishing what you're going to get is to read the dots. no more squeeze and feel method! and at $5 or $10 a pop, collectors are going to go crazy trying to complete the series! ;-)
That would be interesting.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

sadowsk1
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by sadowsk1 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:23 am

ncbarrett wrote:
natelite wrote:how about mystery planet sets? instead of revealing what you're going to get, wrap everything up in a plastic bag. after all, every planet is round, so there's no way of telling what you're going to get. wow...talk about the ultimate collectible SW series! only remotely possible way to distinguishing what you're going to get is to read the dots. no more squeeze and feel method! and at $5 or $10 a pop, collectors are going to go crazy trying to complete the series! ;-)
That would be interesting.
Agreed!

anthonyj8
Knight
Knight

Post by anthonyj8 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:38 pm

I didn't want to start a whole new topic, even though this is a rumor list for sets that wil come out in August. Here's the link to Jedi News: http://www.jedinews.co.uk/news/news.aspx?newsID=5791" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you don't want to take the link this is what it says:
"Following on from the last list of LEGO Star Wars rumours, here is a fresh batch of speculation on what may be available next August. This is quite a way in the future, so do not expect this list to be completely accurate. A lot can change between now and then, and this is only a rumour list in the first place…

Desert Skiff
Cloud Car
Saesee Tiin’s Jedi Starfighter
Felucian Fighter
The Old Republic Starfighter
AT-ST Endor
Jabba’s Palace

Until official confirmation or grainy pictures, let the debate commence.
"

It would be sooo awesome if another Jabba's Palace came out, since all of the fans are demanding one.
I apologize if I should have started a new topic, but I just wanted to let people know about these, especially since Jedi News was right about the January rumors. :-)

Derek
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Derek » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:47 am

Thanks for the list, Anthony.

Jedinews is usually pretty accurate, so I'll believe most of this unless proven otherwise. Overall, just doesn't sound too interesting for me personally, but I feel that I'm losing interest in the Star Wars line in general. I'd probably get Saese Tinn's starfighter (I have Anakin's, Plo's, Ahsoka's, and soon to get Windu's). Jabba's palace sounds nice, but if it were done in a way that would get my interest, it would probably be too expensive for me.

Thanks again for the news

EDIT: Pics have shown up on fbtb (via brickset). It looks like the Cloud Car and AT-ST are more planet sets
http://www.fbtb.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6461" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

anthonyj8
Knight
Knight

Post by anthonyj8 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:56 pm

anthonyj8 wrote:I sure hope that tree on the endor battlepack won't be white like in these prelim pics. That just ruins the set. :cry:

After seeing the official pics Derek showed me (look at post directly above) I can now happily confirm that the tree on the Endor Battlepack will be indeed brown, and the trooper in the ARC Battlepack will be indeed the awesome red fig shown previously. Regarding the new Planet sets, I'll most likely buy the mini cloud car set, which seems to include a new fleshy Lobot. If only they'll come out with another Lando... "Dare to dream Artoo, dare to dream." ;-)

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:26 pm

Toys N Bricks wrote: New LEGO Star Wars Sets

LEGO 9488 ARC Trooper & Commando Droid Battle Pack ($12.99 USD / $14.99 CAD / £9.99 GBP)
Minifigures: ARC Troopers (2) and Commando Droids (2)
LEGO 9489 Endor Rebel Trooper & Imperial Trooper Battle Pack ($12.99 USD / $14.99 CAD / £9.99 GBP)
Minifigures: Endor Rebel Trooper (2), Scout Trooper and Stormtrooper

LEGO 9490 Droid Escape ($19.99 USD / $24.99 CAD / £19.99 GBP)
Minifigures: Sandtrooper (2), C-3PO and R2-D2

LEGO 9491 Geonosian Cannon ($19.99 USD / $24.99 CAD / £19.99 GBP)
Minifigures: Commander Gree, Barriss Offee, Geonosian Fighter/Soldier with Wings (2)

LEGO 9492 TIE Fighter ($49.99 USD / $64.99 CAD / £40.99 GBP)
Minifigures: Tie Fighter Pilot, Death Star Trooper, R5-J2, Imperial Officer

LEGO 9493 X-Wing Starfighter ($59.99 USD / $79.99 CAD / £49.99 GBP)
Minifigures: Luke Skywalker, Jek Porkins, R2-D2, Astromech Droid

LEGO Star Wars Planet Sets

Hollow Planet, a buildable mini vehicle and a minifigure.
  • LEGO 9674 Naboo Starfighter & Naboo ($9.99 USD / $12.99 CAD / £9.99 GBP)
  • LEGO 9675 Sebulbas Podracer & Tatooine ($9.99 USD / $12.99 CAD / £9.99 GBP)
  • LEGO 9676 Tie Interceptor & Death Star ($9.99 USD / $12.99 CAD / £9.99 GBP)

Plus 3 new never before mentioned LEGO Star Wars Planet sets! These LEGO sets are shown on the right. More info available in the 2012 LEGO Star Wars (Summer) thread.
First post updated.

legogeek
Knight
Knight

Post by legogeek » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:45 pm

Geonosian Cannon and Droid Escape might as well be called a Minifigures Battle Pack. The set itself is getting so small that its not really a set anymore.

Compare these $20 sets with $20 sets a few years ago like 7657 AT-ST and you see that Lego used to sell the sets, not the figures. I'm not against the figures, they're awesome btw. But at least Lego could have put some more effort in the "building set" itself.

anthonyj8
Knight
Knight

Post by anthonyj8 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:12 pm

legogeek wrote:Geonosian Cannon and Droid Escape might as well be called a Minifigures Battle Pack. The set itself is getting so small that its not really a set anymore.

Compare these $20 sets with $20 sets a few years ago like 7657 AT-ST and you see that Lego used to sell the sets, not the figures. I'm not against the figures, they're awesome btw. But at least Lego could have put some more effort in the "building set" itself.
I wholey agree with you. Lego is completely relying on the minifigures to attract buyers. The sets used to have only 1 or 2 figs, and a really accurate build in them. Now, it seems like they put 4 new and awesome looking figs in a set, and along with them a model that was quickly thrown together. Lego, if you're listening, please try to focus on the "building set" and make that entice the buyer. :-)

FireWolf
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by FireWolf » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:28 pm

Can anyone tell me whats the deal with limited edition sets these days other than being available in certain retailers?

I brought 8091 Republic Swamp Speeder for Barriss Offee because I thought she would only be in that "limited edition" set. Now she's everywhere. $30 ($33 at TRU) for a 100 piece tiny speeder is not worth it.

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:56 am

legogeek wrote:Geonosian Cannon and Droid Escape might as well be called a Minifigures Battle Pack. The set itself is getting so small that its not really a set anymore.

anthonyj8 wrote:I wholey agree with you. Lego is completely relying on the minifigures to attract buyers. The sets used to have only 1 or 2 figs, and a really accurate build in them. Now, it seems like they put 4 new and awesome looking figs in a set, and along with them a model that was quickly thrown together. Lego, if you're listening, please try to focus on the "building set" and make that entice the buyer. :-)
I think these smaller sets with more minifigs are an attempt to get around the Mattel "No Action Figures!" problem Lego has with the magnet sets.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:11 am

I Like the cannon, and that it comes with Gree is cool.
Just wish he was in Kashyyyk gear.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

cowbug
Knight
Knight

Post by cowbug » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:57 pm

Im more excited for the smaller sets than the larger sets. The Tie Fighers is cool but there are a lot of really cool minifigs in the smaller sets and battle packs. I'm excited about the printed storm trooper legs and what appears to be a new C-3PO torso design in the droid escape set. I really like the new helmet mold and gear on the ARC trooper in the battle pack.

sadowsk1
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by sadowsk1 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:44 pm

I agree with this also. I wish they would bring back creativity star wars buckets like they had with the podracer one. That is pure building. It seems like there are way to do battlepacks for more figures and buckets for more building.

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:28 pm

Toys N Bricks wrote:LEGO 9488 Elite Clone Trooper & Commando Droid Battle Pack ($12.99 USD / $14.99 CAD / £9.99 GBP)
Minifigures: ARC Troopers (2) and Commando Droids (2)

LEGO 9489 Endor Rebel Trooper & Imperial Trooper Battle Pack ($12.99 USD / $14.99 CAD / £9.99 GBP)
Minifigures: Endor Rebel Trooper (2), Scout Trooper and Stormtrooper

LEGO 9490 Droid Escape ($19.99 USD / $24.99 CAD / £19.99 GBP)
Minifigures: Sandtrooper (2), C-3PO and R2-D2

LEGO 9491 Geonosian Cannon ($19.99 USD / $24.99 CAD / £19.99 GBP)
Minifigures: Commander Gree, Barriss Offee, Geonosian Fighter/Soldier with Wings (2)

LEGO 9492 TIE Fighter ($49.99 USD / $64.99 CAD / £40.99 GBP)
Minifigures: Tie Fighter Pilot, Death Star Trooper, R5-J2, Imperial Officer
ImageImage

LEGO 9493 X-Wing Starfighter ($59.99 USD / $79.99 CAD / £49.99 GBP)
Minifigures: Luke Skywalker, Jek Porkins, R2-D2, Astromech Droid
ImageImage

LEGO 9494 Anakin’s Jedi Interceptor ($29.99 USD / $39.99 CAD / £29.99 GBP)
Minifigures: Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, R2-D2, Nute Gunray and Security Droid
First post updated. Pictures courtesy of spielwaren-hegmann.de.

anthonyj8
Knight
Knight

Post by anthonyj8 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:47 pm

9494 Anakin’s Jedi Interceptor looks amazing!! I think these hi-res pics may have convinced me to buy it, if it truley turns out to be $29.99. :-)

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:01 pm

Here's a picture of Anakin Skywalker in 9494 Anakin's Jedi Interceptor.