Which Lego games should i get?

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
jikura
Peasant
Peasant

Which Lego games should i get?

Post by jikura » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:15 pm

Just wondering about these. I've seen them at stores and they look pretty cool but I've never bought one. Which ones are good and fun to play with?

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: Which Lego games should i get?

Post by slacker » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:58 pm

It would depend on who is playing. In my house, we play monster 4.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:24 pm

We got Lava Dragon and Race 3000 because they were on insane discount at Amazon around Christmas time last year. My 4 y/o daughter enjoyed Lava Dragon a lot, but I think Race 3000 was a bit more challenging for her, and wasn't as bit a hit. That's not to say she didn't enjoy it, just not as much as Lava Dragon.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by slacker » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:46 am

Ramses Pyramid is too hard if your kids are young. Pirate codes can get tedious after awhile.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:30 am

Check out all my reviews on the games here. I own most of the older ones. I assume you're going for straight playability and not buying them based on the pieces in them. That said I'd definitely recommend Minotaurus for fun and playability. Monster 4 is just a twist on Connect 4 and is pretty fun as well. I think Lava dragon is fun but my girlfriend didn't think it was that great. Magikus is super simple so if you want to play it with younger kids it is great. Robo Champ (Think that's the name) is also super simplistic. Magma Monster is a hoot as well. The Harry Potter game is a bit complex for younger kids but is probably the game I prefer the most. Ramses Pyramid is god awful. It is so complicated, the rules don't make that much sense because they aren't very clear and its only a good buy for the pieces.

Hope this helps.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

legogod
Knight
Knight

Post by legogod » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:20 pm

In my house it's the same: we buy the games for playability not for the pieces. We had the opportunity to sit down at Lego Kidsfest and try out the games we didn't own. Both Minotaurus and Creationary were very fun to play in the limited time we had at the event. I would recommend purchasing them at a discount as I've seen them near the 30 dollar mark and more. That's what I'm waiting for.

We own Monster 4, Shave a Sheep, Pirate Code, and Race 3000. All except Pirate Code we play pretty regularly. Pirate Code is fun, there's just something missing. I can't quite put my finger on it. The small rubies you make a pattern with tend to go missing and bounce like crazy when startled. I spend most of the game keeping an eye on the pieces-I hate when games are not complete. That's just me.

Our favorites are Shave a Sheep and Monster 4. With our crazy lives going every which way it's really fun when you can pull out a game and play 3-4 rounds in a half hour. We've adopted some alternate rules for Monster 4 to spice things up. My daughter loves rolling the wolf side on the Shave a Sheep die as it allows her to "scare" all the wool off another sheep. Now that I think about it, both of these games feature a "scare" rule. The smile and giggle when my daughter scares my pieces away-well worth it.

Race 3000 is another good game-it's just a little longer in play time and we had a few problems with the rules first time around. Pulling the pieces off the die every time we hit an oil slick also kept my eyes peeled as those suckers would LAUNCH with the leverage. One actually flew into another room and I took a good minute trying to locate it.

Even with my hesitations I would recommend them all. Every game we've purchased has led to some memorable game nights. My only real complaint has to do with the rules/instructions pamphlet. Because the games are supposed to be created and built by the user the beginning rules tend to be a bit vague. But if you have a good imagination and flair for fun game rules-these games might work for you.

Jared

koromo
Knight
Knight

Post by koromo » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:17 pm

I am going with this is for board games only.

I still have the lego Time cruisers game. :ugeek: That was fun.

I own monster 4 and would recommend it, and hopefully it can be found at a good rate. I haven't gotten to the others yet.
Lego Fan based in Seacoast Area of New Hampshire.

meyerc13
Knight
Knight

Post by meyerc13 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:46 pm

I'll have to add a vote for Monster 4 - One of the first two games I bought and still probably my favorite. Pirate Plank is also fun, as is Shave a Sheep, and Magma Monster.

Creationary is fun, but the package is horrible. You sort the pieces into a tray, but there is no way to cover the tray so every time you need to re-sort if you don't put them in some type of storage that can separate them.

We just bought Race 3000 and Robo Champ, so I haven't played them enough to form a good opinion. So far they seem okay.

Magikus is probably my least favorite so far, but it has some interesting pieces at least.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:45 pm

We have Robo Champ and Wild Wool/Shave A Sheep

Robo Champ is sort of like Cootie...my 6 year old liked it last year but got bored with it.

Wild Wool is pretty fun. Easy to play and it doesn't take too long. Probably best w/ 3 or 4 players. With 2 it's kind of tough since you only have one person to trade with or shave the wool off of.

I have a few other games that haven't been opened yet so this thread is interesting. I think we are going to break out Creationary soon.

NIGELTTF
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by NIGELTTF » Thu May 26, 2011 8:46 am

So far, I've been quite disappointed in the playability of the games. All too juvenile and mostly luck based. I'm not saying Lego should put something out like Squad Leader, or those Napoleonic Games with 50 page rulebooks, but something like Settlers of Catan, Bohnanza, Ticket to Ride, Dry Gulch, Kill Doctor Lucky, or Agora.

lukeskywalker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lukeskywalker » Thu May 26, 2011 9:59 am

NIGELTTF wrote:So far, I've been quite disappointed in the playability of the games. All too juvenile and mostly luck based. I'm not saying Lego should put something out like Squad Leader, or those Napoleonic Games with 50 page rulebooks, but something like Settlers of Catan, Bohnanza, Ticket to Ride, Dry Gulch, Kill Doctor Lucky, or Agora.
That would be fun.

natelite
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by natelite » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:01 am

i think the best ones are heroica, ninjago, and harry potter. :D

Ogre21
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Ogre21 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:28 am

I wait for the games to go on sale and then pick them up for 'parts packs'. :lol:
~ Ogre

walsh_Fever
I'm New !

Post by walsh_Fever » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:50 am

Lego Minotaurus and Lego Creationary are great fun!
Toys! Toys!

hrdcrgamer
I'm New !

Post by hrdcrgamer » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:59 pm

Lego Batman and Lego Indiana Jones are very entertaining.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:50 am

hrdcrgamer wrote:Lego Batman and Lego Indiana Jones are very entertaining.
Hi, hrdcrgamer - this discussion is more about the LEGO 'board games', those you build and play as opposed to the video games. We have a few discussions about the video games (at least the more recently released and upcoming ones) over in the LEGO Media area of the forum.

As for LEGO board games, I'm getting more of a feeling that I will buy any one of them at a good discount. I don't know what that says about the games/prices themselves - we've had fun playing the two we have opened (Race 3000 and Lava Dragon), the other two (Magma Monster and Magikus) we haven't opened yet, so I can't say. Magikus seems to be a better one for younger audiences, seems a bit more simple than others. Race 3000 is a bit too much for my 4.5y/o daughter, but she really likes Lava Dragon.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:20 pm

Monster 4 is by far the best price/fun/piece combo. Magikus is pretty boring imo and Ramses Pyramid is too complicated for my tastes.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:34 pm

[quote="legitimatealex"]Magikus is pretty boring imo [...]/quote]

Which is probably why it would be perfect for younger audiences - less complicated, easier rules.