[REVIEW] 4181 PotC Isla de la Muerta

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

How would you rate this set?

Excellent
25%
Average
75%
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 8

atmail35
Duke
Duke

[REVIEW] 4181 PotC Isla de la Muerta

Post by atmail35 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:56 pm

Indexed

Set Name: Isla de la Muerta
Set Number: 4181
Theme: Pirates of the Caribbean
Year: 2011
Ages: 6-12
MSRP: $19.99 USD
Pieces: 152
Price per Piece: $0.1315
Minifigures: 4

Description on Lego.com:
Protect Elizabeth and gain control of the Black Pearl!

Only the descendant of Bootstrap Bill can free the Captain Hector Barbossa and his undead crew from their horrible curse. Is Elizabeth Swann the key? They think so! Help Captain Jack Sparrow to defeat the transformed Skeleton Barbossa then free Elizabeth Swann and gain control of the Black Pearl!

Includes 4 minifigures: Jack Sparrow, Elizabeth Swann, Hector Barbossa and Skeleton Barbossa
Features the Black Pearl rowboat, treasure chest, gold bricks, gold coins, gems and apple
Turn the door to reveal cursed Skeleton Barbossa!
Flip the mast!
Row with the oars!
Measures over 7” (17cm) wide
Rowboat measures over 4” (10cm) long and 1.5” (3cm) wide
Includes free poster!
Box Front

The box is very colorful and detailed. It has a picture of Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow and the PotC and Disney Logos on the front.

Box Back
The back shows how the door spins and the mast can flip back and forth.

Bags
This set comes with two larger bags, a medium one and a small one holding the gold bars and gold coins. The boat is not in a bag.

Instruction Booklet
The booklet and poster come sealed in plastic with a cardboard sheet inside to protect it. Image

The instructions do feature the "pick list".

Poster
Note that Will Turner is featured in the poster, but not in this set.

The Build
The build is fairly basic. I did find a mistake in the instructions. The instructions for the row boat indicated that you should attach the bench on the third row from the front.

However if you do this Jack cannot rest the oars in the "clips" while rowing.

In fact, the photo on the box shows the bench/seat one row back:

Another thing I noted was the instructions and the box shows different denominations for the coins (1, 2, 5, 10), but the coins only have a "10" on them...which I guess is OK but not accurate. Also the box shows the coins as being shiny and they are not. But then again the box embellishes the light on the boat to make it look like it is glowing when it does not either (nor would I expect).

Also the oars do not really stay balanced on the clips as shown in the photo, they tend to slide off into the water so hold on to them tight!

Spare Parts
You get some spare gold coins, a gold bar, fire, feather for Barbosa's hat, compass and others.

The Set
The set has 3 main pieces. The boat and treasure chest with gold and the main part with the mast and spinning door.

The Minifigures
You get four figures, Hector Barbossa, Skeleton Barbossaack, Elizabeth Swann, and Jack SparrowImage

Here is the detail of the minifigs without the accessories:

Here is the backside with alternate faces for Elizabeth and Jack:

Final Thoughts

I like this set for the minifigures and the boat is nice. My daughter has been playing more with "Cannibal Escape" than this set so the play value has not materialized yet here. I'm not sure what the deal is with the apples, I don't recall them from the movie and I need to watch it again.

The pros:
No stickers
Nice minifigures, I love the detail of Skelton Barbossa's face and the alternate faces for Elizabeth and Jack.
Nice movement features of the spinning door and the mast

The cons:
Will Turner is not included.
The issues with the boat oars slipping off
A bit pricey
Not a lot of unique pieces, pretty standard stuff
The gold coins are going to go missing very quickly in this house as they are very small!

Overall I think this set is a nice way to get some more minifigures and a boat. Overall I'd give this set a 7 out of 10. If you've gotten this far, thanks for reading my review!

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [REVIEW] 4181 PotC Isla de la Muerta

Post by Ice » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:17 pm

Good Review! It does sucks that Will Turner is not included.
atmail35 wrote:Another thing I noted was the instructions and the box shows different denominations for the coins (1, 2, 5, 10), but the coins only have a "10" on them...which I guess is OK but not accurate. Also the box shows the coins as being shiny and they are not. But then again the box embellishes the light on the boat to make it look like it is glowing when it does not either (nor would I expect).
Apparently, LEGO packaged the wrong elements and are willing to offer replacements. Call LEGO and tell them you got pearl-gold pieces instead of gold pieces shown on the box and they will send you the right ones! :)

lukeskywalker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lukeskywalker » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:59 pm

Ice wrote: Apparently, LEGO packaged the wrong elements and are willing to offer replacements. Call LEGO and tell them you got pearl-gold pieces instead of gold pieces shown on the box and they will send you the right pieces! :)
I love that about lego. I guess it's not like it costs them alot to replace them so they might as well keep their customers happy.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:09 am

Ice wrote:Good Review! It does sucks that Will Turner is not included.

Apparently, LEGO packaged the wrong elements and are willing to offer replacements. Call LEGO and tell them you got pearl-gold pieces instead of gold pieces shown on the box and they will send you the right ones! :)
Thank you for this information, I just called and the shiny gold is on the way. I love this community, everyone helps each other! :D

DrBeaker
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by DrBeaker » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:13 pm

Nice review :)!

I am on the fence about this set, mainly due to its lack of originality. Compared to some of the other PotC sets, something just seems to be missing from this one.

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:36 pm

I would pick this set for minifigures only.

Jericho
I'm New !

Post by Jericho » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:50 pm

I bought it for the minifigs, $5 a fig is an ok price in my book. My daughter does like the treasure chest and the gold you get with the set too.

As for the set I just don't get it. Can anyone explain to me the point of the ship mast that moves?