[Review] -- 4000001 Moulding Machine (Inside Tour Exclusive)

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

How would you rate this set?

Excellent
100%
Average
No votes
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 11

brickgoalie
I'm New !

[Review] -- 4000001 Moulding Machine (Inside Tour Exclusive)

Post by brickgoalie » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:31 pm

Indexed

First review... here goes:

So I was able to fulfill one of my life long dream and go on the Lego Inside Tour in Billund. I would in a heart beat recommend this to any LEGO fan. For those that can't afford to go, there's a nice little documentary that National Geographic made that does show a lot of stuff that I saw: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCPGlM9T ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Every year the Lego Insider Tour has run, the participants have received an exclusive set. In the past they have been cars - some even designed by Kjeld Kirk Kristiansen (current owner, and grandson of Ole Kirk Christiansen) - houses, and for the 2011 year, LEGO has created highly appropriate (and amusing) set to go along with the Inside Tour: LEGO model of the LEGO moulding Machines that made the LEGO bricks that made this LEGO set :)

There are two moulding machines, the smaller is the original hand crank machine that dates back to 1949. The second larger moulding machine is an example of the current ones that are being used today to create the bricks we love.

Info:

Set: #4000001 Moulding Machines
Pieces: 795
Price: Free with Inside Tour
Minifigs: None.
New Pieces: None, custom Sticker sheet.

Packaging:

The first thing I noticed when I received it was how HEAVY it was - at over 800 pieces (including spare parts), it's probably the most densely packed set I've ever seen.

The front of the box shows the assembled set (I did find it amusing that even Lego Designers suck at applying stickers). And the top shows pictures of the actual machines:Image

The back provides some nice information on the Mould Machines, as well a group pictures of the Lego Insider Group #14 (dedacted for privacy) as well as the KKK himself playing with it :)

I actually debated a good 3 weeks before I decided opening this set. Originally I had grand illusions that I would keep it Mint In Box forever. But I realized I would never sell it, so what's the point of keeping it sealed? I'd rather enjoy it and share it with the community.

When I finally opened it, I was surprised at what I saw. First it was a slip box - which wasn't standard LEGO packaging - but it makes sense as it's a super small run (68 only), secondly instead of the standard polybags I encountered a series of LEGO ziplock bags:

Anyone who has had to order missing parts would be familiar with these bags, they are the bags that are used by customer service to fulfill missing part orders (which we saw on the tour). I suspect that these sets were litteraly assembled by customer service. It also explains why the set was so densly packed - as there were no air pockets in these bags.

Along with the bricks were two instructions and a little sticker set. The Instructions are pretty nice, but not the same quality as the mass produced ones - both in paper quality and instructional quality. There was a odd disclaimer proclaiming the instructions were generated through proprietary means - which could mean that the instructions were auto-generated - probably something similar to the DesignByMe instuctions (though I've never actually done a DesignByMe, so I'm not sure).

The Build:
Timelapse of build:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/si-mocs/5794836577/

The build was pretty quick, and had some nice wrinkles and some advanced techniques, while it's officially 10+ (according to the box) interms of standard LEGO sets, the build rates slightly higher, as there is some snot work and some nice greebling (though i'm sure it's actually on the real thing, not just to make it look cool).

What really stuck out for me during the build was the attention to detail - even for parts that are hard to see. For instance on the larger Moulder Machine - the mould has some nice work - simple cheese wedges - but much better than say simply tiling it.

I was also impressed at the accuracy of it, when I saw the box art, it's instantly recognizable as THE moulding machine - that we had seen just a day before.

Both models are fantastic. Of the other Inside Tour sets, it's probably either best or second best (Ole Kirk's house the other notable set).

Conclusion

They're not as swooshy as some of the other stuff Lego has produced (in general and for the Tour). While there is some playability very nicely built into the set- it's really not something I see many kids playing with for extended periods of time.

Set in action:

It feels like something I would put on my office desk (if it wasn't secured in my bullet proof glass display case).

It's definitely feels like an AFOL set - which course makes sense, as it was designed by an AFOL LEGO designer (see the smiley on the front for signature!).

Ultimately, is this set worth the admission price? - absolutely not. I would never pay that much for this. But the Tour isn't about getting this set, the tour is about seeing LEGO and how things are made, how it's done, and meeting the people that "have the best job in the world". THAT was well worth the price of admission.

Though this set does make one kick-butt souvenir.

see flickr stream for additional pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/si-mocs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers,
Simon /Si-MOCs

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [Review] -- 4000001 Moulding Machine (Inside Tour Exclus

Post by Ice » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:53 pm

Wow this looks like an awesome set and very limited too. Thanks for sharing the review with us! :)

legogod
Knight
Knight

Post by legogod » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:08 pm

Very nice review. It is especially cool that the review centered around such a rare set. It would be cool if you told us about your tour too. I read about Jonathan Bender's trip to the factory in his book Lego: A Love Story. It's stuck in my head and I've read a lot of books since then.

Thank you for your review.
Jared

lukeskywalker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lukeskywalker » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:08 am

Great review. I love the set.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:09 am

Great review! Thank you so much for posting the review and the youtube video. I had not seen the show before and I found it very interesting. It definitely makes you feel a little less guilty for spending money on Lego, the work that goes into producing the bricks really is incredible.

What an awesome once in a lifetime opportunity!

Thanks for sharing!

DrBeaker
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by DrBeaker » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:44 am

Awesome! Thank you for sharing this unique set with TnB!

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:11 am

Thx so much for the reivew and link to the tour. If you didn't share this review, I may never know about this set.

The set looks very good. Awesome. Very eye catching. I really like the colors which designers had used. Too bad this is limited edition. I don't think there is any AFOL would hate this set.