10213 Shuttle Adventure improved/stabilized design

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
andrewqwy
I'm New !

10213 Shuttle Adventure improved/stabilized design

Post by andrewqwy » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:12 am

http://smashing-bricks.com/2011/03/11/l ... tructions/

I think all owners of the 10213 sets should read this. It's about faulty parts and alternate building instructions.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Re: 10213 Shuttle Adventure improved/stabilized design

Post by vynsane » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:41 am

I've changed the title of this post, as the use of the term "faulty parts" denotes that the pieces are breaking or something - it's a bit too incendiary and alarmist. There's nothing wrong with the pieces that came in the set, just certain unstable portions in the design of the external fuel tank can be enhanced by rebuilding it using this alternate instruction sheet.

It's too bad that people outside of Singapore won't be getting the 'service pack' of pieces to actually make these modifications without shelling out more money to buy the requisite parts, but I can understand that it would be a monumental undertaking to A: ensure that everyone who bought the set gets a service pack; and B: ensure that everyone who gets a service pack actually bought the set. That's aside from the high cost of giving away all those pieces in the first place.

I, for one, don't really see the need for these augmentations. Mine seems fine. There are ways to augment and improve the design of any set. I guess LEGO just got more complaints about this one than others.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

unbornchikken
Citizen
Citizen

Post by unbornchikken » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:35 am

Hey guys,

It took 3 emails to Customer Service, but I finally got this response (I bolded the important part for emphasis):
I am sorry to hear you are having stability problems with your LEGO® set. I know how frustrating it can be when a model falls apart during play. We are aware of the issue and have a kit that we are sending out to you via mail. This will take 7-10 business days to arrive.

If after this, you still have problems or need some bricks replaced please get in touch with us again and we will be very happy to help. It would be best to call one of our experts on the free (from landlines) phone number 1-800-835-4386 (8am - 10pm Monday to Friday or 10am - 6pm Saturday to Sunday).

Best wishes!

Sincerely,

Lyudmila
LEGO Direct Consumer Services
My first email got a generic "try rebuilding" reply. The second response, after linking them the alternate instructions and asking about receiving additional parts, was a... link to the alternate instructions (very frustrating at the time). But I finally got what I wanted with the 3rd email response above.

For my part, I have found the external fuel tank engine extremely fragile; often it falls apart just when disconnecting it from the shuttle or side rockets. Very glad that LEGO is resolving this. BTW, this was resolved in the US, so hopefully, with perhaps a little effort, everyone will be able to get the parts they need for this fix.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Wed May 04, 2011 1:26 pm

According to a post over at the Brickset forum, future editions of the Shuttle Adventure set will include the revised instructions and parts necessary to build the stabilized version, according to a post at the LEGO Ambassador forum:
Yes it is correct that we have a stability issue with the Space Shuttle 10213. It became apparent after 2 months in the market that too many had called consumer service regarding stability with the tank and during play with the model. As a display model it had the needed stability, but it has been stated again that even though it is an 14+ model it should be possible to play with the model.

There has been made a PDF that shows the changes needed and if consumer service is call they will send the needed elements and the PDF. All new sets packed from around week 10 will be with the improved build up. The set number will not change.
Until hearing that, I didn't feel the need to contact them, but seeing as how those of us who received the set before the running change is made are basically being penalized for being the first to give TLG our money, I think it only fair that we receive the pieces that everyone else will be getting for the same amount of money.

To that end, I sent the following message via the LEGO Customer Service website contact form:
To whom it may concern,

Recently, multiple online sources have stated that the set 10213 'Shuttle Adventure' had stability issues when first released, and that future editions of the set will include a revised set of parts and instruction sheet. It is also stated that a parts pack and additional instruction sheet are available to people who received the set before this running change will take place. I received this set for Christmas this past year, and while I'm highly satisfied with the over-all design and aesthetics of the set, the stability issue concerns me as I have a four year-old daughter who likes to take my assembled sets down from their shelf and play with them from time to time while I'm away at work. I would be none too happy if she were to be injured while attempting to retrieve the 'Shuttle Adventure' set from its perch - and while I will let her know not to without my supervision, that advice can only go so far. I also feel it is only fair that those who purchased/received the set before the revision was made have the opportunity to update their set to the new, higher standard design. Otherwise, it seems those individuals are penalized for being the first to give the LEGO company their hard-earned money. I thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Thu May 05, 2011 6:45 pm

LEGO usually gets the job done when it comes to customer service. Sorry your first two attempts were rocky.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Wed May 11, 2011 8:23 pm

I called the LEGO Customer Service line tonight after I received the response about my MBA inquiry, but hadn't received anything but the auto-responder for my message above. After looking through my email history, the woman I was talking to found the message and that they had sent out the parts pack and instruction sheet today! I wondered why they hadn't responded, and still do, but I'm glad that I have confirmation of them sending it out. It was sent from the Connecticut location, so I should have it in a few days.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Fri May 13, 2011 7:11 am

The Shuttle Adventure set is currently listed as 'Sold Out' on LEGO S@H.

Originally, according to the post I quoted above, the set would be getting a revised collection of parts and the instructions would be revised, but the set number would not change.

Now it appears that the set number WILL, in fact, change from 10213 to 10231 once the revised parts and instructions are included in the package.

pumbaugh
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by pumbaugh » Sat May 14, 2011 6:42 am

hmmm...I just purchased this set about a month ago, but have not built it yet. What should I do? Return it and purchase the new model, contact support and plead for a revised parts pack?

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Sat May 14, 2011 8:49 am

pumbaugh wrote:hmmm...I just purchased this set about a month ago, but have not built it yet. What should I do? Return it and purchase the new model, contact support and plead for a revised parts pack?
I don't know, there's not been much more info in this regard, it could be incorrect. If you're willing to wait it out a little longer until we know for sure what's going on, I think I'd sit tight. That said, it's a great set, and if you build it and send them a note akin to mine, you'll get the parts pack.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Mon May 16, 2011 1:27 pm

Got my parts pack/instruction sheet today. They also included a letter to me about how important the safety of children is to them, and some bonus internal memos(?)

I'm guessing the memos were either a mistake or just as packing material? Still... some sensitive info in there. Nothing about future product lines, unfortunately ;)

lukeskywalker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lukeskywalker » Mon May 16, 2011 1:51 pm

vynsane wrote:Got my parts pack/instruction sheet today. They also included a letter to me about how important the safety of children is to them, and some bonus internal memos(?)

I'm guessing the memos were either a mistake or just as packing material? Still... some sensitive info in there. Nothing about future product lines, unfortunately ;)
is there any pics? What do they say?

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Mon May 16, 2011 2:02 pm

Ha, just some email print-outs: Other customer service emails and some meeting minutes that didn't have anything really indicative.

lukeskywalker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lukeskywalker » Mon May 16, 2011 2:23 pm

Oh.

bigdaddy
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by bigdaddy » Thu May 19, 2011 8:55 am

vynsane wrote:
pumbaugh wrote:hmmm...I just purchased this set about a month ago, but have not built it yet. What should I do? Return it and purchase the new model, contact support and plead for a revised parts pack?
I don't know, there's not been much more info in this regard, it could be incorrect. If you're willing to wait it out a little longer until we know for sure what's going on, I think I'd sit tight. That said, it's a great set, and if you build it and send them a note akin to mine, you'll get the parts pack.
Just got off the phone with customer service and they are sending the replacement parts out to help with the stability issue. Lady was great on the phone and stated she had heard about this issue and would be sending me out replacement parts. Not even a five minute conversation. Lego customer service is great.