New LEGO Store Opening in Indianapolis

Discuss about retailers that carries LEGO products here! Got a LEGO Product Find or Polybag Find from a store? Share it with us. It can be a new or even a really old retired set!
sidersdd
Knight
Knight

New LEGO Store Opening in Indianapolis

Post by sidersdd » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:29 am

Looks like the new LEGO Store which is opening in Indianapolis (at the Castleton Square Mall) will have its Grand Opening event April 8-10. Help build an 8-foot tall Buzz Lightyear.

It's in the Store News here:
http://stores.lego.com/en-us/default.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And there was a blurb for it in the VIP email sent out recently:

pumbaugh
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: New LEGO Store Opening in Indianapolis

Post by pumbaugh » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:58 pm

While I am happy there is a LEGO store finally opening in my own state.....I am also very disappointed they have finally chosen Indiana.....now I am going to have to pay tax on Shop@Home orders! :evil:

pumbaugh
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by pumbaugh » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:37 pm

Anyone else going Sat morn for the minifig giveaway? Its a little bit of a drive, but me and the boy haven't been to Indy in a while.

sidersdd
Knight
Knight

Post by sidersdd » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:55 pm

I helped out at the event today, along with several other IndyLUG members. It was a great first day. I heard we had over 3000 people come through to help build Buzz. The line to get into the store took about 2 hours at one point. Dan Steininger (LEGO Masterbuilder) was wonderful with the kids.

Volunteers were given the exclusive minifig kit. Sneak peak pics here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sidersdd/s ... 458052302/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The figs are almost identical to the Costa Mesa store opening. That's a bit of a bummer. But the packaging had a nice NASCAR like racecar, which is a bit of a shout-out to the local racing fans and Brickyard 400 event.

pumbaugh
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by pumbaugh » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:39 am

HOLY COW! Just got back from the Indy store opening and that was CRAZY! Got to the store about 40 mins before opening and found SEVERAL hundred people already lined up. I did an approx count while we stood and I gathered we were about 350 people back from the front. By the time the store opened the line went all the way down to the end of the mall, note that this store is not far off center court. We waited approx 1 hour just to get into the store, plus about 30 mins in line to make our purchase. When we exited the store almost 2 hours after opening the line had to have nearly 1k people in it. Clearly they were expecting a large turnout, but this seemed insanity! I hope everyone had fun.

One side note-I had filled a small pick a brick cup to get for free with my purchase of the Medeviel Market Village per the store calendar online, but they seemed clueless when I brought it up to them at purchase time. The clerk pulled out a May calendar and said he didn't have anything for this month...grrrr.. Too late to put it back since the child really wanted it, so I got stuck paying for it....

jsnweitzel
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by jsnweitzel » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:36 pm

pumbaugh wrote:HOLY COW! Just got back from the Indy store opening and that was CRAZY! Got to the store about 40 mins before opening and found SEVERAL hundred people already lined up. I did an approx count while we stood and I gathered we were about 350 people back from the front. By the time the store opened the line went all the way down to the end of the mall, note that this store is not far off center court. We waited approx 1 hour just to get into the store, plus about 30 mins in line to make our purchase. When we exited the store almost 2 hours after opening the line had to have nearly 1k people in it. Clearly they were expecting a large turnout, but this seemed insanity! I hope everyone had fun.

One side note-I had filled a small pick a brick cup to get for free with my purchase of the Medeviel Market Village per the store calendar online, but they seemed clueless when I brought it up to them at purchase time. The clerk pulled out a May calendar and said he didn't have anything for this month...grrrr.. Too late to put it back since the child really wanted it, so I got stuck paying for it....
Just got back from the beachwood (cleveland) OH store opening and we were at the mall for approx 4 hrs including the line to help build R2. We probably spent 20 minutes in the store. Insanity indeed but we waited just like everyone else. My 6 yr old son enjoyed it and he had never been to a lego store before.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:26 pm

: *( Wish I didn't have to work all through their opening or I could visit my family for a day and this event. Le sigh. Glad its going well though. Next time I go down through Indy I am definitely stopping there.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:03 pm

pumbaugh wrote:One side note-I had filled a small pick a brick cup to get for free with my purchase of the Medeviel Market Village per the store calendar online, but they seemed clueless when I brought it up to them at purchase time. The clerk pulled out a May calendar and said he didn't have anything for this month...grrrr.. Too late to put it back since the child really wanted it, so I got stuck paying for it....
I would print a copy of the April calendar from on-line and bring it w/ your receipt the next time you are there and ask to speak w/ the manager. They are usually very accomodating/helpful. I would think they would do something. I'm guessing the new staff/newness of the store (not to mention the # of customers) made it difficult.

You could also call (when not so busy) if you are a far distance from the store. $8 is $8 ;) - unless you have to drive far.

pumbaugh
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by pumbaugh » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:37 pm

^^ A little over 110 miles or so lol! I thought I was somewhat crazy for how far I drove for the event, but I talked to many other parents from much further away than I. Perhaps I will drop the LEGO customer service an email to see what they say

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:06 am

pumbaugh wrote:^^ A little over 110 miles or so lol! I thought I was somewhat crazy for how far I drove for the event, but I talked to many other parents from much further away than I. Perhaps I will drop the LEGO customer service an email to see what they say
That is a little far to go back. Definitely call or e-mail customer service though, they really do work to make things right. Even a call to the store manager might work, offer to e-mail them a copy of your receipt and maybe they will credit your credit card back.

I also wanted to say I like the minifigure packaging for the grand opening, very cool. I like how the 3 fifs are like spectators w/ the binoculars, camera abd walkie talkie.