Open box anxiety

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Re: Open box anxiety

Post by vynsane » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:40 am

I've never really understood the MISB mentality. I've always been a "take it out and play with it" kinda guy.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

Bricksnapper52
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Bricksnapper52 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:43 am

vynsane wrote:I've never really understood the MISB mentality. I've always been a "take it out and play with it" kinda guy.
I collected Disney Cars from the first Cars movie, I kept some MISB for trading purposes, but mostly to keep for my son when he grows up. He can get that rush of being a kid again and share it with his family. I picture it being kind of like opening a time capsule that he can share with his kids some day and remember playing with his crazy dad that collected hundreds of cars for his son.

Other than that, I have about 7 sets in boxes right now stashed away that I have bought on sale. But the difference is I am DYING to find an excuse to put them together with my boy! Easter/Father's Day/His Birthday/My Birthday/Christmas can't come soon enough! :D

NIGELTTF
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by NIGELTTF » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:39 am

vynsane wrote:I've never really understood the MISB mentality. I've always been a "take it out and play with it" kinda guy.
With lego, I am too. With my Matchbox cars, no I am a MISB guy. The beauty of the collection pristine in the original boxes from 30 to 50 years ago exceeds the play value. With Lego, the play value exceeds the beauty. I do have some in the box, but that's only for trade value at a future date, or I just haven't gotten round to needing those pieces yet.

Subjective as hell, but none the less, the way I view it.

Cimmerian
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Cimmerian » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:00 pm

I've got about a dozen boxes that I've yet to put together. I have limited display space, so when I open a new set, another set goes into the plastic tub. Pretty much everything I've bought has been on sale. I buy them, and wait for a chance to put it together. But I notice my pile of unbuilts slowly gets bigger and bigger.

Luciant
Count
Count

Post by Luciant » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:28 pm

ncbarrett wrote:
meyerc13 wrote:...
if you display your collection, you are a collector....

I don't know that this line works as well for toy collectors, because many of us hide our collection because of the stigma of being an adult who buys toys, but I do think that we each need to examine our motives from time to time to decide if our collecting makes us happy or feels like a burden. I think when it's the later, it is time to stop.
I have many sets on display in a glass case in our living room.
So I am definitely a collector. :mrgreen:

However due to space limitation, most of my sets are in boxes/tubs. :(

Yep, I am the exact same way. I sometimes 'cycle' through sets on display so they all get lubbins =)

I also think another distinction should be made about Collecting vs Hoarding... I build, play with, and MoC my collection (and you would probably consider me borderline horder with my amount of Legos).

The way I see it... is if you are actively using, displaying, or in process one of those two, you are definately not in hoarding territory. When they all go to a special room never to see the light of day again, only to see more added, but nothing taken out ... you might need to call A&E.
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.

SpaceNinjaDino
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by SpaceNinjaDino » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:51 pm

I have a similar purchase style that goes beyond just LEGO. Currently, I'm renting my residence and taking care of someone. This has been my "temporary" situation for several years now. I'm planning to buy a house in 1-2 years and should no longer be taking care of that person.

When I have a permanent residence, I feel that I can then have massive displays of LEGO and other toys. I know if I don't buy these items at retail or below now, it will be too expensive to ever get when I'm ready. (I try to avoid paying premiums, but I did recently with Tron Legacy since they were not available locally.)

marcusloignon
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by marcusloignon » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:23 pm

I love looking at and buying the sets too. As a child Lego was all I asked for when it was Christmas or birthday time. I remember standing in front of all the sets in the toy store, wanting them all but only having enough money for the really small ones. Now as an adult I still love the sets and I have more money. I stop by to see Lego at Walmart or Target every time I go in there. I buy a few from time to time, mostly on clearance, but I don't really have any desire to build them. I do enjoy building a MOC from my open collection once in a while. So I can kinda see where that guy is coming from.

Ogre21
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Ogre21 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:24 am

I probably have about two dozen, or so, un-opened sets...but, it's not because I don't WANT to open them, or that I'm keeping them for selling/trading at a later date, it's just that I either a) haven't had time to build them, or b) don't have the space to put the finished model just yet.
Once I get my living space a little better organized, I hope to not have any sets still 'sealed', except for 'promotional' polybags, etc., of which I have more than one copy.
~ Ogre

iamangel
I'm New !

Post by iamangel » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:40 pm

ncbarrett wrote:
sadowsk1 wrote:... but I never feel compelled to put them together or really interested in it.
Then why do you collect them?
That's exactly the same thing that I was thinking when I read this post. I thought the whole point was to build the set and showcase it to your friends ... not just collect the boxes.
I love the Hasbro puppy line like FurReal Friends Cookie and furreal gogo my walkin pup in addition to Legos.