Open box anxiety

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
sadowsk1
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Open box anxiety

Post by sadowsk1 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:45 pm

I thought I would throw up this post and see if anyone can relate to this. I own a fair amount of Lego. Nothing overwhelming or hoarder style, but I never seem to open any of them boxes and put them together. For some reason I am content with the boxes and not really ever opening any of them. It's not a matter of the sets losing their resale value or anything like that, but I never feel compelled to put them together or really interested in it.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Re: Open box anxiety

Post by ncbarrett » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:10 am

sadowsk1 wrote:... but I never feel compelled to put them together or really interested in it.
Then why do you collect them?
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:35 am

sadowsk1 wrote:I thought I would throw up this post and see if anyone can relate to this. I own a fair amount of Lego. Nothing overwhelming or hoarder style, but I never seem to open any of them boxes and put them together.
I've got a stack of unopened boxes in the basement. But only because I'm concentrating on RPGs and books at the moment instead of Lego.
sadowsk1 wrote:For some reason I am content with the boxes and not really ever opening any of them. It's not a matter of the sets losing their resale value or anything like that, but I never feel compelled to put them together or really interested in it.
I've never really assembeled any of the sets I've bought either. I just like using the pieces for MOCs.

sadowsk1
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by sadowsk1 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:18 am

ncbarrett wrote:
sadowsk1 wrote:... but I never feel compelled to put them together or really interested in it.
Then why do you collect them?
I really like Lego and the sets they put out. I think the box art is nice and displays the contents well. It's for sure hard to explain, I like to collect them I just never feel like putting sets together.

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by slacker » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:03 pm

I also have alot of them boxed for collection, a small collection. I do open some when I get a chance. Not enough time for MOCs since this is a hobby not a lifestyle. But I do like the chase of getting deals. Must be something wrong with me.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:18 pm

You confuse me absolutely.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

legogod
Knight
Knight

Post by legogod » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:35 pm

sadowsk1-

I've actually just started this and it is a weird thing. I think it's the time constraint for me (just not enough time with a baby coming soon and surgery today.) I've got a village toy shop from Christmas and a Wampa cave from my birthday i haven't put together. I've been trying not to open my Collectible Minifigures because when I trade, people like sealed packages. Various small sets I haven't opened yet fill a small tote.

I even found a sealed in bags Arkham Asylum I got for my birthday 4 years ago. I threw the box out and hid it in a drawer only to find it recently. It's a weird feeling and I understand. I never buy Lego to not open and build/play with it. I've told myself these sets are for a rainy day... And since I have a week off to recuperate they may not be in boxes for long.

I'm thinking you might want to cut the box artwork out and frame them...that way you get the best of both worlds. The artwork on the wall and the set in your bins or on display. It was easier with older sets with the flip top, but with an exacto knife it would be easy.

Have fun,
Jared

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:51 am

I have a few boxes of unopened sets too. I bought them planning to build them but then life got in the way and I haven't gone back to them yet. I figure I'll have something to do when I retired. Nothing wrong with leaving stuff in boxes. I collect diecast cars and I leave them in their display boxes.

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:22 am

There is one set I have that I may never open. Hoth Rebel Base was the first set my GF ever bought me, and the first birthday gift she got me, so I'm a little reticent about opening it.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:28 pm

I don't think I have enough money to buy a set and then NOT open it. That's like buying food and then not eating it for me.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:30 am

We have some unopened sets stashed away. I buy things when I see them on sale and then save them to do with my 5 year old when we have a snow day (i.e. desperate need of a fresh indoor activity) or give them for her birthday/Christmas. I love finding stuff at a good price but eventually they do get opened/built/played with.

koromo
Knight
Knight

Post by koromo » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:39 pm

I had a very small stash of unopened sets when I move apartments. In my later purchases I just put more sets into the moving box without removing any to open and play.

Then in the summer I was going to set aside at time to build them with a friend.

That was until I had difficult and unfortunate time in the fall and I needed an outlet to focus myself elsewhere than the concerns of the world. I built all of them over two nights and rebuilt every SW set that had been on display since I took down my display shelves two years prior.

Now I have another pack box of unopened sets and I take one out now on the occasion of a rainy/blizzardly evening. Been a couple of those of late. :roll:
Lego Fan based in Seacoast Area of New Hampshire.

NIGELTTF
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by NIGELTTF » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:57 am

I too have unopened sets. Some are for gift potential, some are value speculation, but the biggest pile are those I haven't got round to opening, building, and sorting. Mainly due to my basement being such a mess, I'm trying to clean it to give me more mental space to sort what I've already opened.

Luciant
Count
Count

Post by Luciant » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:03 pm

I have tons of unopened boxes as well =) I'm a Lego-maniac tho, and a self-described crackhead collector. Most of the unopened boxes are simply because I haven't gotten around to building them yet though, as I only collect things I can actually use/play with, not just for display purposes. I have a few sets that I do not plan to open, (mainly the Hero and Bioncle line), that I just have no interest in, but since I have dreams of one day owning every set, it will sit in a box unless my future children will want to play with them.

My wife likes just see'ing all the Lego around the living room :) She says it reminds her of Christmas =) To be honest, I think I've had more fun "bargain shopping" and exchanging to get the absolute best possible prices/deals, than I've had actually building....

So don't sweat it... all of us are in Lego for the thrill of the hunt (to find discounts). It's part of the fun.
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.

meyerc13
Knight
Knight

Post by meyerc13 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:10 pm

I think the question we all have to ask ourselves is this - do we love LEGO or do we love collecting? I remember back in college I liked playing computer games. Then a buddy of mine got hooked into the warez scene and suddenly instead of playing games, we were accumulating games. Another friend of mine pointed out that for me the 'new game' became collecting games. Instead of getting a thrill from playing a game, I was getting a thrill from amassing the largest collection of games that I could.

That was a real eye opener for me. The collecting for the sake of collecting starts to enter into hoarder territory. If you're amassing the collection and the whole thing is in storage tubs, closets or the basements, is it still a collection? Most experts on hoarding draw the line this way - if you display your collection, you are a collector. If it's hidden away where nobody can see it, you might be a hoarder.

I don't know that this line works as well for toy collectors, because many of us hide our collection because of the stigma of being an adult who buys toys, but I do think that we each need to examine our motives from time to time to decide if our collecting makes us happy or feels like a burden. I think when it's the later, it is time to stop.

peanut
Knight
Knight

Post by peanut » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:30 am

I wish I could afford to buy 2 of every set - one to build and one to put away. But I do have a bin full of unopened polys :mrgreen:

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:56 am

meyerc13 wrote:...
if you display your collection, you are a collector....

I don't know that this line works as well for toy collectors, because many of us hide our collection because of the stigma of being an adult who buys toys, but I do think that we each need to examine our motives from time to time to decide if our collecting makes us happy or feels like a burden. I think when it's the later, it is time to stop.
I have many sets on display in a glass case in our living room.
So I am definitely a collector. :mrgreen:

However due to space limitation, most of my sets are in boxes/tubs. :(
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

possum
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by possum » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:00 am

legitimatealex wrote:You confuse me absolutely.
Yeah if I just bought all these sets & never assembled them, 1) My wife would kill me & 2) I would miss the VALUABLE stress relief from the family. Can't wait for baseball season, nothing better than a ballgame on TV, a beer in the glass and pieces on the table.
Disclosure of location should be required when listing your finds!

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:45 am

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just look at the box art online, or even print it out?

I'm really confused why someone would spend insane amounts of money on.... boxes.

Everybody
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Everybody » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:54 pm

Huh, I have no idea where you're coming from on this. :?: