[REVIEW] 2260 Ice Dragon Attack

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

How would you rate this set?

Excellent
54%
Average
31%
Poor
15%

Total votes: 13

legitimatealex
Count
Count

[REVIEW] 2260 Ice Dragon Attack

Post by legitimatealex » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:11 pm

Indexed

2260 Ice Dragon Attack
Price: $19.99
Price Per Piece: $.13
Minifigures: 2
LEGO Description:
Fly to the underworld on the Ice Dragon and reclaim the shurikens of ice!

Zane flies into the perilous realm of the underworld to recapture the stolen shurikens of ice from the skeleton army. Suddenly, Krazi appears out of the darkness and he has a different plan! Blast him with the Ice Dragon's frozen breath before he gets away with the treasure! Set includes Ice Dragon, 2 minifigures and 2 weapons. Includes 2 minifigures: Zane and Krazi Features Ice Dragon, shurikens of ice and black sword Spit ice balls from the Ice Dragon's mouth! Battle for the shurikens of ice! Fold and bend the Ice Dragon's wings! Bend and rotate the Ice Dragon's head, legs and tail! Ice Dragon is over 11'in (28cm) long and 14'in (35cm) wide
My girlfriend bought me this set as my Christmas present. She thought it was kind of seasonal too (ice is ice eh?) Either way, this set is going probably going to be my favorite of the NinjaGo line. I mean, come on, it's a dragon. Dragon's are cool, right?

Answer: Yes.

Minifigures

This set offers us a look at two great minifigures for this line. It offers possibly the coolest ninja and the scariest nightmare inducing skeleton. Ever.

Say hello to your sleepless nights...

The skeleton's name is Krazi. The ninja's name is Zane. Krazi = Crazy, for those of you subtlety impaired people out there. Krazi gets the jester hat because crazy can only be defined by motley.

Let's look at Krazi at the moment. I want you to realize exactly how creepy he is. First off, his eyes are glowing red. Not a big deal, other skeletons have had the same eyes, but look at his. There are cracks in his skull around his eyes, suggesting that he received blows to both of his eyes in downward slashes, suggesting a very violent death. Secondly, his mouth is neither a smile nor a frown, but an opened gash of a mouth that looks like it's been sewn shut.

Finally, look at this mouth again. There is a red outline. What is that? Blood? Lipstick? The remains of a fruit punch juice box that exploded all over his face? All of these options are dark and creepy. He just attacked some poor animal and tore it apart with his teeth. He applies his makeup while driving in a car at dangerous speeds. He still drinks juice despite him being a skeleton. Am I the only one weirded out by this minifigure? He ruins making up sinister and evil looking minifigures for me because I cannot top him. He will forever play the bad guy for me.

On a less creepy note I am obligated to note other things about Krazi besides his craziness. He sports an entirely new skeleton body from the previous models. The arms are new, the torso is new, and the feet have boots for once. No longer must our skeleton minifigures go barefoot in the winter.

Krazi is also holding the only weapons in the set, the two golden shurikens. They're of super soft plastic. Watch out or you might bend the spikes on the ends into awkward positions that they will not come out of.

Alright, enough about Krazi. Moving onto Zane. Zane is cool. He has some awesome printing on him that lets you know that HE is the one riding that dragon and that HE is the ice ninja and that HE is as cool as Samuel L. Jackson in Pulp Fiction. Even his legs have printing, continuing with that dragon motif. The only way he could be cooler is if he had back printing.

Well look at that, back printing. Zane proudly displays his name on his back so you can know that it was him who froze you while riding upon the back of a gigantic ice dragon. This ninja lacks subtlety for sure.

Here's Zane without the helmet. Probably the most lax of the ninjas from NinjaGo. You can also get a better look of Krazi's new skeleton arms from this direction. I definitely prefer these new arms to the old ones. The old ones were just the same robot arms they had been using for everything else and were not very skeletal at all.

The Build

The build is a very simple but effective one. The dragon is made up of essentially 5 areas: Head, Body, Wings, Feet, Tail. The wings are probably roughly 65% of the body. They are going to end up taking a pretty large chunk of the review.

The head is made up of 2 pieces, the top of the head and the jaw. In between there are two ball shooter pieces. In the middle of these two pieces is the 'ice ball.' By squeezing on the top and bottom of the head, the pressure forces the ball to shoot out, with rather well results. It can knock minifigures over and can shoot a foot or two if you do it quick enough.

The head pieces are made out of pretty hard soft plastic. That might sound like an oxymoron, but it's definitely not the usual plastic most of the bricks are made out of and it's not quite as hard, but it's harder than the plastic that they use for most of the weapons these days. Either way the printing is nice and I'm sure I can reuse for another dragon some day.

The legs are just some ball sockets stuck together and the feet are made up of one piece each, a gigantic claw that was used pretty heavily with a few bionicle characters, as well as the new hero factory characters. There's not much to see there.

The body would be unremarkable if not for the first of our very interesting pieces in this set, the trans icey blue plates on his body. These are very similar to the neon green plates the Crystal King had from the Power Miners line except for the color. I'm loving the color.

Here's the tail. It's a little wimpy and there's nothing special about it.

Here we now begin with the wings. They're connected to the body by some technic pieces and the wings then have another joint to move on.

Each wing then has swivel pieces between each 'feather' as I call them, that allow them to spread out and make themselves bigger.

The effect is pretty great. Of other things to note, there are also some trans icey blue cheese slopes, a total of 6 on the set and one extra. I really love this color. Each of the 'feathers' is one long piece, with a total of 6 in the set. The really large plates helps to explain the high PPP.

Also attached to the dragon, besides the rider, is this larger banner and stand.

The banner is a printed piece. I do not know what it says, but hey, if LEGO printed it, it's probably not anything bad. If anyone could enlighten me as to what it says, that would be nice.

Put everything together and you get the fearsome ice dragon!

Final Thoughts

I really really like this set. It was just the right price for everything that came in it. Some people might object to the high PPP, but a lot of the pieces are larger than usual and the set comes with a lot of great printing, unique and new LEGO pieces in new colors and with two very great minifigures. The amount of new that this set has in it is astounding.

Go out and get this set today.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

andrewqwy
I'm New !

Re: [REVIEW] 2260 Ice Dragon Attack

Post by andrewqwy » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:17 pm

The bigger black characters mean "Dragon God". The smaller red characters mean "Ninja". Hope this helps.

legoeggo
Citizen
Citizen

Post by legoeggo » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:05 pm

I view a sets value as what else can I build with this or use the parts for. And this limits me to um dragons. That dragon head didn't need to be all one piece. I wish Lego would have higher piece builds instead of relying on custom molds. Very little re-use value.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:33 pm

legoeggo wrote:I view a sets value as what else can I build with this or use the parts for. And this limits me to um dragons. That dragon head didn't need to be all one piece. I wish Lego would have higher piece builds instead of relying on custom molds. Very little re-use value.
I'm kinda getting tired of hearing "these parts are useless". It's not the parts in this set that limit you to only building dragons - it's your imagination. The top of the dragon's head could make a really sweet front fender to a crazy speederbike or motorcycle, for instance.

Using specialty pieces in inventive ways is the very definition of "NPU" (Nice Part Usage).
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

Luciant
Count
Count

Post by Luciant » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:47 pm

legitimatealex wrote: The banner is a printed piece. I do not know what it says, but hey, if LEGO printed it, it's probably not anything bad. If anyone could enlighten me as to what it says, that would be nice.
I think it says: Feed me more Legos RAWR.
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.

GuaranteedUnity
Knight
Knight

Post by GuaranteedUnity » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:03 am

legitimatealex wrote:The banner is a printed piece. I do not know what it says, but hey, if LEGO printed it, it's probably not anything bad. If anyone could enlighten me as to what it says, that would be nice.
ryuujin - Dragon God

legogod
Knight
Knight

Post by legogod » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:53 pm

I'm glad your review showed the minifigures from all angles. I had no idea Krazi's spine was molded outward. This is another level of detail that makes things fun. Thank you.

Jared

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:31 am

legoeggo wrote:I view a sets value as what else can I build with this or use the parts for. And this limits me to um dragons.
I'm thinking of making a Dragon Dance MOC out of this set. See, problem solved. :lol: :ugeek:

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:30 pm

legogod wrote:I'm glad your review showed the minifigures from all angles. I had no idea Krazi's spine was molded outward. This is another level of detail that makes things fun. Thank you.

Jared
No problem at all. I try to capture the minifigures the best I can because despite what a lot of people might say or imply, minifigures are a large part of what determines which set a person will buy. For those who don't venture out to buy them individually, knowing which minifigures you want determines which sets you will buy.

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:21 pm

I built this set last night. I figure it took me between 30 and 45 minutes while watching tv. It looks cool and seems to have a lot of playability. I'm not all that happy with the positioning of the standard though, and I may move it to another spot on the dragon's back.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:00 am

Mantisking wrote:I built this set last night. I figure it took me between 30 and 45 minutes while watching tv. It looks cool and seems to have a lot of playability. I'm not all that happy with the positioning of the standard though, and I may move it to another spot on the dragon's back.
I wouldn't blame you. It pops off really easily and trying to get the minifigure off the back basically guarantees you knock the standard off.