Mega Blocks is NOT LEGO!

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
BlacktronManic
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Re: Mega Blocks is NOT LEGO!

Post by BlacktronManic » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:35 pm

First off, I would like to say that this has opened quite the discussion, which I was hoping for.
slimninj4 wrote:Complaining about a gift! :-( thats really not cool.

To some LEGO is like KLEENEX. a block is a block. tissue is a tissue.

Just hope you get a gift receipt or cash.
Its bricks. Your son will like to play it im sure no matter what. I could give my son two bricks and he would not care if one was MB or one lego.
As for getting something one has not asked for, there was one time in my life where I did mention to the gifter that the gift I received was not the one I was waiting for. This, I have to say, was not cool on my own behaviour and learned quickly not to complain about a gift, but rather be happy that the gifter had put thought into the gift, even though it was something I was not expecting to receive. As I had mentioned in earlier statement, this is something I am passing on to my son. However, if the gifter leaves the gift receipt in the bag, then that is in my son's best interest, to go about doing an exchange back at the store for the correct item he wanted.
legitimatealex wrote:I know some people don't get the difference and just think it is brand loyalty but it goes beyond that. It's a quality that we're used to and a background that we trust.
The difference between LEGO blocks and MegaBlocks is quite pronounced. More than 2/3 of the time the MegaBlocks will not stay together, and my son has noticed this and notices how well a LEGO build stays together perfectly well. So right there my son is able to tell the difference quite easily between the two different types of bricks and the quality as well.

As my son was a toddler many family friends would give the large MegaBlocks as gifts. Now as a gift for him while he was a toddler it made no difference to me that he got them, but I did my part and got him Duplo as well. However, now that he is older and likes building and making things with bricks, I would rather he get a quality product rather than one that won't hold together nicely and be of a lower quality. Yes there is a price difference, but you know what they say, "you get what you paid for".
SpaceNinjaDino wrote:I'm thankful that I never had the displeasure of receiving a MegaBlocks set.
All LEGO sets have the logo on the package. Maybe make a flyer/letter that has the logo printed in full color and describe that only official LEGO sets have quality that will last a lifetime and for their kids' kids.
I think SpaceNinjaDino has a great idea about getting a flyer/letter that could be handed out. The thing about doing this is that it would have to be informative, rather than biased, otherwise it might come off in the wrong way and no one would want that.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:40 am

BlacktronManic wrote:
SpaceNinjaDino wrote:I'm thankful that I never had the displeasure of receiving a MegaBlocks set.
All LEGO sets have the logo on the package. Maybe make a flyer/letter that has the logo printed in full color and describe that only official LEGO sets have quality that will last a lifetime and for their kids' kids.
I think SpaceNinjaDino has a great idea about getting a flyer/letter that could be handed out. The thing about doing this is that it would have to be informative, rather than biased, otherwise it might come off in the wrong way and no one would want that.
Just list everything we listed here. We know the difference in quality, other people should too.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

BobaFett2
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by BobaFett2 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:10 am

vynsane wrote:
Transformers2 wrote:Agree with what you said. Mega Bloks is not Lego. Shame how they're placed next to the Lego aisle causing confusion for people.
It's one part free enterprise and one part taxonomy - you don't go into Home Depot expecting only one brand of reciprocating saw, and you don't expect the DeWalt recip saws to be next to the lumber and the Ryobi ones to be next to the plumbing... yet Milwaukee invented the thing in the first place! You'll find all three (and many more brands) all next to one-another in the tool section, under the sign for reciprocating saws. Such is the case with LEGO and its competitors.

Personally, I like my Rigid recip saw because it's orange and has a flame pattern on the side. The Milwaukee teal just doesn't appeal to me... and the Mil hasn't been all-metal in a long time anyway, so the quality is close enough.
This is true. However, consider this-LEGO actually has an active community. They communicate and even form large fan events, something which MB does not do, nor do any other Clone Brand. LEGO has united fans all over the world, and most toys/games/merchandise/whatever do not do this. It's part of what makes LEGO special.
MOCpages Account
FlickR Photostream
I post a lot of reviews in the reviews forum! Check them out!

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:35 pm

BobaFett2 wrote:This is true. However, consider this-LEGO actually has an active community. They communicate and even form large fan events, something which MB does not do, nor do any other Clone Brand. LEGO has united fans all over the world, and most toys/games/merchandise/whatever do not do this. It's part of what makes LEGO special.
I don't disagree that LEGO takes great strides to create a sense of community among fans of the toy, but your post is really kind of a non-sequitur in comparison to what I was saying. I was responding to the supposition that it's a "shame that Mega Bloks are next to LEGO" in the toy aisle. I just said that it makes sense from a business and ease-of-use standpoint. I don't really see what relevance the LEGO community has in reference to where you can find the toys at your local store.

However, as a counter-point to your post, consider this - EVERY POSSIBLE THING you could think of has a fanbase, which means someone has created a discussion forum for it. Even Mega Bloks. ;) LEGO just happened to have decided it was a good way to get direct feedback. Most forums these days have some sort of connection to the product they are based on.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

wkunert
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by wkunert » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:59 pm

There's no way around it. If you have kids, people are going to give them crap presents. Stuff from the dollar store that's way worse than MegaBlox — which can at least be exchanged at Walmart w/o a receipt. Crap influx can be reduced by not having birthday parties.

BobaFett2
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by BobaFett2 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:06 am

wkunert wrote:There's no way around it. If you have kids, people are going to give them crap presents. Stuff from the dollar store that's way worse than MegaBlox — which can at least be exchanged at Walmart w/o a receipt. Crap influx can be reduced by not having birthday parties.
Not necessarily. For birthdays, my friends would usually give 10-20 dollar gifts and if they knew that I wanted something, they would get it for me. And my family never got me MegaBloks-they new I liked LEGO brands, and they got me LEGO Brand.
MOCpages Account
FlickR Photostream

starwarsgeek
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by starwarsgeek » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:53 am

I was at toysrus today and saw a mega blocks halo display. It looks really nice and accurate to the games. What suprised me was that the sets are much smaller than the boxes they are in.

Their strategies and pricing are real getting really similar to Lego. Display cases, small sets, big empty boxes, stickers.

BobaFett2
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by BobaFett2 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:18 pm

By the way, I don't believe in gratefulness for a bad gift. If it's worthless, let them know. Then you don't get more worthless stuff next time. Also, if they know that you didn't want it, or they know what you want, it's like a big "I don't really care" message. Or possibly, they don't get you LEGO because they want you to "grow up". It may seem immature or rude, but isn't it rude that when you know what it is someone likes, that you get them some totally random thing from a dollar store, or some clone when it's pretty obvious what the difference is?
MOCpages Account
FlickR Photostream

Everybody
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Everybody » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:27 pm

I solved this problem by asking for money. Then again, if they can't see the difference between lego and mega bloks, they might just give you yen. :lol:

BlacktronManic
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by BlacktronManic » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:36 pm

Everybody wrote:I solved this problem by asking for money. Then again, if they can't see the difference between lego and mega bloks, they might just give you yen. :lol:
I guess that is what I am going to have to resort to and avoid issues like this down the road. Much easier than asking for a specific gift and avoid having to ask for a gift receipt.

This way everyone is happy! :D

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:36 am

My nephew got a clone brand set for Christmas from the other side of the family. I'm thinking it's Best-Lok as the pieces look to be a mix of black, grey, tan, and olive drab. He doesn't seem to care, but my brother is keeping the parts seperate from the regular Lego.