LEGO 8804 Collectible Minifigures Series 4

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

Which LEGO Collectable Minifigure(s) do you like most?

Artist
5%
Cracy Scientist
8%
Hazmat Guy
18%
Hockey Player
4%
Ice Skater
2%
Kimono Girl
7%
Lawn Gnome
2%
Musketeer
12%
Punk Rocker
8%
Sailor
1%
Soccer Player
2%
Street Skater
3%
Surfer Girl
4%
The Monster
8%
Viking
8%
Werewolf
7%

Total votes: 250

SpaceNinjaDino
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: LEGO 8804 Collectible Minifigures Series 4

Post by SpaceNinjaDino » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:30 pm

I'm surprised to see so many comments rating Series 4 higher than Series 3.
I agree that most of the figures are cool, but (thankfully for my wallet) none of these figures are screaming at me to build an army. The closest is the Hazmat suit, but I wouldn't want more than 5. I could understand some people wanting a ton of sailors, vikings, or the sports figures if they wanted a MOC built around that group.

I'm far behind on Series 3, and I need a great number of Elves (I love the Goblins, Dwarves, and Trolls in the Castle theme and I need many Elves to add to the mix). I don't even have one. I might trade my zombies and/or Spartans for Elves if I get desperate. I will reach that point once Series 4 ships. I got 3+ months, so maybe I'll be able to find 8 in the wild if I get lucky. I'll be paying eBay/Bricklink prices for some unless they are too high and then I'll have to sacrifice S1 and/or S2 for them.

I'd be rather upset if LEGO does not create an Elf vs. Orc/Goblin/Demon Castle line over the next few years.

BobaFett2
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by BobaFett2 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:09 pm

SpaceNinjaDino wrote:I'm surprised to see so many comments rating Series 4 higher than Series 3.
I agree that most of the figures are cool, but (thankfully for my wallet) none of these figures are screaming at me to build an army. The closest is the Hazmat suit, but I wouldn't want more than 5. I could understand some people wanting a ton of sailors, vikings, or the sports figures if they wanted a MOC built around that group.

I'm far behind on Series 3, and I need a great number of Elves (I love the Goblins, Dwarves, and Trolls in the Castle theme and I need many Elves to add to the mix). I don't even have one. I might trade my zombies and/or Spartans for Elves if I get desperate. I will reach that point once Series 4 ships. I got 3+ months, so maybe I'll be able to find 8 in the wild if I get lucky. I'll be paying eBay/Bricklink prices for some unless they are too high and then I'll have to sacrifice S1 and/or S2 for them.

I'd be rather upset if LEGO does not create an Elf vs. Orc/Goblin/Demon Castle line over the next few years.
In fact, don't. The Spartan is now 4 dollars or less...now that the haze has passed, people may be realizing that the Minifigure isn't as good as they thought-although I have to say the Elf is one of the best CMF figs I've seen. Anyways, wait a while, the craze ends, and instead of 10 dollar elves on BL or searching in stores, you could get one for a few bucks on BL.
MOCpages Account
FlickR Photostream
I post a lot of reviews in the reviews forum! Check them out!

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:08 pm

Definitely better than 3. I don't know what are going to be the popular figures though. I'm in love with all of em.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

natelite
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by natelite » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:56 am

this serie is really good. new figures, new accessories. until we know the rarity of each, quite a few of these can be the new elf or spartan. let's examine them using my patented valuation technique shall we? ;)

The Monster -- novelty figure, which everyone will need at least one of. but not enough to want to army build.
Surfing Girl -- another way to get the surf board. will bring down the value of the surfer. not army building material though.
Sailor -- new hat and uniform. novelty figure and also good for city scene too (like when a naval ship docks and a whole bunch of sailors visit a port/city.
Kimono Girl -- new hair, prints, fan. good for like 5-10 figures. not huge army builder though. nice for japanese civilian scene. replace the heads for normal yellow for your regular townfolks.
Punk -- new hair, guitar, prints. good also for small army building (like 5-10 figures). again not huge army builder.
Viking -- new shield and new way to get the old viking helmets. i like the new printed spartan shield. potential army builder (i.e more than 10) but don't expect price to rise dramatically. older viking sets were not hugely popular. you can still get the chess set for around msrp.
Speed Skater -- novelty figure. not army builder. not particularly aesthetic or useful.
Hockey Player -- new helmet, new shoulder pads/armor. army building material. as mentioned, the helmet is wrong (more footballer than hockey player). most would buy this to make a football team though (and maybe replace the helmet with the aviator helmet for a hockey player). that means for those interested, they would buy from 10-20+ for a team. not huge army builder but decent.
Skateboarder -- nothing new other than the board and beanie.
Man in Safety Suit -- new helmet. decent army builder, and cross-theme capability (space, city, even steampunk, etc). even city, you would need a team of hazmats. look to around 5-10+. only turnoff is the color orange. can't use too many of it for steampunk or space for eg).
Musketeer -- new helmet, new saber, prints. potentially large army building possibility. while most would want just 4 for the musketeers, but it has potential for a whole battalion of musketeers. potential tie in with potc line or the pirates era theme.
Werewolf -- novelty figure. too bad about the brown ears. otherwise you would remake as a mr spock or vulcans. still - some possibility of army building. a pack of wolvemen for fantasy castle line for e.g.
Artist -- novelty figure. good for 1-2. possible 4-5 for like street artists scene.
Mad Professor -- novelty figure. nice beaker but.. not much use beyond the beaker.
Soccer Player -- army building for 10-15. no soccer ball though.
Garden Gnome -- potentially army builder. nice new hat and new beard. will help reduce the demand for the fisherman from s3 since you can get the beard here. reuse the beard on your dwarves, and use this figure beardless for gnomes, pixies, etc. army building for fantasy castle theme.

what i like about this serie is that the novelty figures are unique enough that you want at least one of each. there are enough army builder figures that it's not concentrated on just 1. also "army building" is concentrated to around just 10-20, not like 100+. for the figures with massive army building potential, they are not mainstream enough that people will hoard them.

so my pick for the "spartan" of this serie is the musketeer. this depend on how rare the figure is. but this figure fits that profile the best. the surprise spartan could actually be the gnome. viking, while the best army building figure of this serie, is not that popular judging from the past theme which is still not selling well in the secondary market.

the ct dummy of this set can be just about any other novelty figure. it all depends on the rarity. if i had to pick, it's most likely the girl surfer or the skateboarder. most likely the girl surfer since they aren't popular with the mostly male collectors.

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:28 am

natelite wrote:Garden Gnome -- potentially army builder. nice new hat and new beard. will help reduce the demand for the fisherman from s3 since you can get the beard here. reuse the beard on your dwarves, and use this figure beardless for gnomes, pixies, etc. army building for fantasy castle theme.

he surprise spartan could actually be the gnome.
Really? I figure this is going to be the "I've got umpty-billion to trade" figure. Unless you're saying that it's only good for parts.

tired
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by tired » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:39 am

after some more contemplating on CF4, i thought that it was nice that none of these are really army builders. this thought has been mentioned prior but the fact that we have figs that work well in small numbers is good. hopefully, this will deter hoarders.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:08 pm

tired wrote:after some more contemplating on CF4, i thought that it was nice that none of these are really army builders. this thought has been mentioned prior but the fact that we have figs that work well in small numbers is good. hopefully, this will deter hoarders.
Well Space Villain from s3 is not really a army builder, but i still have 3, because he is so cool! :twisted:
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

tired
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by tired » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:54 pm

ncbarrett wrote:Well Space Villain from s3 is not really a army builder, but i still have 3, because he is so cool! :twisted:
well...point taken but there hasn't been the same hype as we saw with the spartan from CF2

NIGELTTF
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by NIGELTTF » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:35 pm

Mantisking wrote:
natelite wrote:Garden Gnome -- potentially army builder. nice new hat and new beard. will help reduce the demand for the fisherman from s3 since you can get the beard here. reuse the beard on your dwarves, and use this figure beardless for gnomes, pixies, etc. army building for fantasy castle theme.

he surprise spartan could actually be the gnome.
Really? I figure this is going to be the "I've got umpty-billion to trade" figure. Unless you're saying that it's only good for parts.
With the first poster saying "I'll take 100 Garden Gnomes, please" I think you might need to revise that position. It has major fantasy era potential, for a fairly limited audience. And people who really like "david the Gnome"

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:49 pm

ncbarrett wrote:Well Space Villain from s3 is not really a army builder, but i still have 3, because he is so cool! :twisted:
He might not be an army builder in the traditional sense, but there are a lot of Classic Space/Blacktron fans out there that will want multiples of him for the torso, helmet, visor, and gun in order to increase their Neo Blacktron ranks. I know I'm one of them!
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:11 pm

vynsane wrote:
He might not be an army builder in the traditional sense, but there are a lot of Classic Space/Blacktron fans out there that will want multiples of him for the torso, helmet, visor, and gun in order to increase their Neo Blacktron ranks. I know I'm one of them!
That was kind of my point, each person will collect/army build different figures.

Also I believe he may be a precursor to the return of Blacktron, and want him to go with the sets when they come out.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

natelite
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by natelite » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:51 pm

NIGELTTF wrote:With the first poster saying "I'll take 100 Garden Gnomes, please" I think you might need to revise that position. It has major fantasy era potential, for a fairly limited audience. And people who really like "david the Gnome"
my thoughts exactly. who wouldn't want a garden gnome? everyone with a creator series building would have one either at the entrance or on the rooftop! :D that and fantasy era collectors. that hat is very spot on. much better than anything we have so far. so we are sure to get lots of snow white & 7 dwarves vignettes.

natelite
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by natelite » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:58 pm

ncbarrett wrote: That was kind of my point, each person will collect/army build different figures.

Also I believe he may be a precursor to the return of Blacktron, and want him to go with the sets when they come out.
yes, everyone has their preference. yet economics involves the study of the behavior of collective individuals. collectively, the subset of the amount of people who buy s3, who want a blacktron figure is not looking too good... hence the cheaper it is to get the figure in the secondary market.

BobaFett2
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by BobaFett2 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:56 pm

vynsane wrote:
I'm a total Space fan (every sutheme). I don't have many sets (sadly, only 20 from the theme-this year is taking up too much money, making up for a lack of trains, getting that PQ I desire, some Atlantis for Neo-Blacktron, etc...), but I will be collecting small older sets-I spent lots of money getting a few huge spaceships, and it was worth it, but now I just need a lot of guys. I'll probably end up with 5 of this guy at least-I love him. Maybe 2 of the Space Alien, but I need a longer train for my upcoming Space train so I'm pressed for money.
MOCpages Account
FlickR Photostream
I post a lot of reviews in the reviews forum! Check them out!

BrickWild
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by BrickWild » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:14 pm

Does this mean an eventual slow decline for BrickForge?!
http://www.lddmodels.jimdo.com
Lego Factory/DesignByMe (Circa 2005 - January 16 2012)
Lego Universe (October 2010 - January 2012)

natelite
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by natelite » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:25 am

BrickWild wrote:Does this mean an eventual slow decline for BrickForge?!
Not really. Purists would never buy from 3rd party to begin with, and their designs are very diff from lego's. Don't see a clash there. In fact, with some advertising, sales might even pick up if people want variety with their official lego pieces, like the electric guitar for eg.

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:29 am

BrickWild wrote:Does this mean an eventual slow decline for BrickForge?!
Nah. They make stuff Lego will never touch. Halo items, for instance.

r4-g9
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by r4-g9 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:39 am

Everybody
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Everybody » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:45 am

Must...Have...Viking...Must...Control...Wallet. :lol:

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:38 pm

Thanks for the heads-up! Odd that they have individual pics of each one except for the Geisha...
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive