[REVIEW] Atlantis 7978 Angler Attack

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

How would you rate this set?

Excellent
75%
Average
25%
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 8

possum
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

[REVIEW] Atlantis 7978 Angler Attack

Post by possum » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:34 pm

Indexed

My first review, so be easy. The pictures were taken with my iPhone. They're blurry, out of focus and the lighting sucks. Make it all the way to the end & you can see some other newly released sets. This set is really cool. Here goes, hope the format suits you.

First, the pieces laid out. Thirteen different colors including 3 greens! And that's not even counting the translucents! There were several interesting pieces I didn't previously own. If you look closely, you can see the CCNA book I'm supposed to be reading instead of building Lego. :lol:

Here is the sticker sheet. Minimal, but the red curved slope stickers are the same as previous Atlantean sets. I didn't apply them, I kind of like the Atlantis line without them.

Instruction book page:

The pieces unique to my collection at this point. A camera, a cool rubber coupling, & some of the fish body pieces.

The Totally Awesome FishMan and gold helmet/treasure. Ol' FishFace has a mouth on his torso that shows through the hole in the outer torso covering, which BTW is a Kit Fisto-y rubber.

Assembled minifigs. I'm sure our protagonist has a name, but I've no clue what it is. He looks like Ned Flanders and has a double sided head featuring serious Ned & scared Ned.

The lovely scenery. Note the nice textured round 2x2s, which I assume are the same as what we'll get in the largest 2011 set. There are some jewels in there under the helmet.

Here is the angler in mid-build.

Fin. I call the big one Gulpy.

And finally here's your bonus pic with some other new goodies I put together this week: PQ Golden Staff Guardians, Creator Log Cabin, and Creator Rescue Robot:

This set's great. I'm very much looking forward to the rest of this wave. Atlantis is better than some of the licensed themes in my book (PoP & TS3, I'm looking at you). I wasn't out of my dark ages when Aqua Raiders was around, but from the pictures this angler looks way cooler. Here are some ratings whose criteria I just made up:

Difficulty of build: 3/5 - The only thing special is the mouth. The aforementioned rubber coupling allows the lower jaw to move and stay closed if you're not moving it. A little bit of SNOTwork for the body.
Uniqueness of build: 4/5 - I know Aqua Raiders had one before, but from what I can see the Atlantis Angler is amped up a bit. Same concept but more of everything with some pieces you don't see every day. Also: FishFace.
Swooshability: 5/5 - If you can't play with this, your player is broken.
Minifigs: 5/5 - Go get 'em, FishFace! And Flanders has yellow arms/fins!
Overall: 4.5/5 - Great variety of pieces & colors make this one to get, especially if it's on sale. I picked mine up at TRU before they raised the price and I feel it was worth it. $.10/piece isn't the best but it's not a ripoff with this set IMO.

I feel they've really stepped the Atlantis line up a notch (if, as I hope, the rest of the 2011 sets follow suit) since the first year. I like that they're continuing to improve the line and not letting it get stale. Gulpy goes great with my other Atlantis creatures Stingy & Crawly.
Disclosure of location should be required when listing your finds!

Uno Brick
Citizen
Citizen

Re: [REVIEW] Atlantis 7978 Angler Attack

Post by Uno Brick » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:19 pm

I purchased this set to review a while ago as part of the BOGO 50% sale they had, but it seems you beat me to it! :lol: Regardless, great review, and I agree the 2011 Atlantis sets are much better in design and elements in comparison to the 2010 line. ;) Again, great job and thanks for reviewing!
Check out MOCs by Uno Brick at: http://www.mocpages.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.flickr.com/photos/65992150@N02/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :-)

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:50 am

This is a fantastic set.
Dr. Fisher is the diver, and Barracuda guardian is the fish guy.
I really like the new greens. and the column pieces.

The angler gets 1 gold tooth, kind of funny i think.
:ugeek:
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

possum
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by possum » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:25 am

@Uno - With a six month old in the house I'm usually too busy and/or lazy to put together the pictures and type everything up...I'm usually lucky to get to the end of the build without having to get up. This set was too impressive, though.

@nc - The gold tooth had me laughing, I wish I'd thought to get it in one of the shots. Gangster Fish.
Disclosure of location should be required when listing your finds!

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:03 am

This set is just another example of how the next line of Atlantis is absolutely amazing and creative! It blows the old line out of the water and the first wave was pretty decent.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

Tomatoe
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Tomatoe » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:42 am

Good review!