[REVIEW] City 8403 - City House

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

What rating would you give to this set?

Excellent
86%
Average
14%
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 7

ImmortalShark
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

[REVIEW] City 8403 - City House

Post by ImmortalShark » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:57 pm

Indexed

8403 City House
Pieces: 383
Price: $54.99 CAD | $39.99 USD
Price Per Piece: ~ $0.144 CAD | ~ $0.104
Minifigures : 3 + a dog
Lego Description:
Make a home sweet home in the LEGO® City House!
Every minifigure family is right at home in the LEGO® City House! Host a barbecue in the backyard where the minifig dog plays! Climb the tree house! Live in three floors of fully furnished LEGO luxury.
• Includes 4 minifigures: mom, dad, boy with skateboard and dog
• 3 floors of fun details including sofa, bed, lamps and cups
• Detailed exterior features tree with tree house, barbecue, flowers, mailbox with letter and a recycling bin
• City House measures 8” (21cm)”
This is a fun set that is simple to build and seems to have lots of playability. It’s the first city building that we have purchased and I believe it to be a great starter set. The front of the box shows the set with the family either enjoying the day inside (top right) or out.

The back of the box show various other ways that the family can enjoy themselves. What I found really interesting was the picture in the bottom right. It shows a city sceen that combines this set with 7641 (link to review) and 7633 to form a small city block. Makes it look like the family moved into a low-rise.

The set came with four bags of pieces, one for each part of the build. Four lose plates (3 - 6x16 grey and 1 – 16x32 green) and one booklet. Sorry I don’t have a picture of the bags. My kids had them ripped open and were building before I got to the camera.

Here are the minifigs that come with this set. I was pleased to see that the Mom and kid both have printing on the front and back. I was disappointed that the Dad has the same torso as the kid from the 7641 - City Corner set.

Here are the printed pieces that came with the set. The keyboard is great. I know it’s not a printed piece, but I love the hotdog/sausage that comes with this set.

Here is the front of the building. It’s very nice with a lovely blue awning. I was really excited about the two solar panels until I found out that they were stickers, not printed. Same with the house number. Otherwise, it’s great.

Inside, I like the kitchen area on the ground floor with a sink and stove. There is a frying pan hidden in the oven. The second floor computer/living room is nice too. I’m not sure where everyone sleeps though with only one bed on the third floor.

Conclusion: I think this is a great starter set for city buildings. As the box says, it’s a modular build. This allowed my two kids to each build two sections. They are six and eight and had no trouble with the build instructions from this set.

They have also been playing with it constantly since we got it which is a huge plus. They love to bring minifigs from other set to visit the house. P-A-R-T- Why? Because they gotta! My favourite was this shot.

I left Darth Vader there on purpose because I laughed out loud when I saw it. My six year old put him there and all I could think of was Darth Vader selling newspapers or home alarms door to door.

Price wise, the US price just misses the magical $0.10 per piece level. On sale, this set would easily break that level. It can be had for under $0.10 per piece in Canada as well if you look hard enough.

legogeek
Knight
Knight

Re: [REVIEW] City 8403 - City House

Post by legogeek » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:10 am

Good review. This will go well with city corner.

Transformers2
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Transformers2 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:28 pm

Set is sold out at legoshop already. Wasn't it release just this summer?

Everybody
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Everybody » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:57 pm

I've been wanting to buy this set and your review tipped me over the edge

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:03 am

Transformers2 wrote:Set is sold out at legoshop already. Wasn't it release just this summer?
Yes, and was only available at LEGO and Target so would have been a smaller run.

But I don't think it will be gone for good, my guess is they will still make more of them.
Doubt they'd kill a CITY set this early in its life.
But probably wont be more til after xmas.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:17 pm

Good review and a very nice set.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

danutsta
Peasant
Peasant

Post by danutsta » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:18 pm

gotta get my hands on one of these.