[TnB] 71012 Disney Series Minifigures LEGO Review

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

Which minifigures are your MUST haves? (select all that apply)

Mickey Mouse
9%
Minnie Mouse
6%
Donald Duck
7%
Daisy Duck
4%
Buzz Lightyear
7%
Alien
3%
Mr. Incredible
1%
Syndrome
3%
Peter Pan
4%
Captain Hook
5%
Ariel
6%
Ursula
9%
Aladdin
6%
Genie
3%
Alice
6%
Cheshire Cat
4%
Maleficent
10%
Stitch
8%

Total votes: 195

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

[TnB] 71012 Disney Series Minifigures LEGO Review

Post by Ice » Sun May 08, 2016 4:31 pm

Name: Disney Series Collectable Minifigures
Number: 71012
Theme: Collectable Series Minifigures
Release Date: May 1st, 2016
Piece Count: Individual Packet Minifigures differ in piece amounts
Minifig Count: 60 random minifigures in a box, 18 different minifigures complete a full set
Age Rating: 5+
Cost: $3.99 USD / $3.99 CAD / £2.49 GBP / €2,99 EUR / 25,00 DKK

Official Product Description at LEGO
Join in the magic with LEGO® Minifigures, The Disney Series.

Create your very own Disney adventures with Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Donald Duck, Daisy Duck, Buzz Lightyear, Alien, Mr. Incredible, Syndrome, Peter Pan, Captain Hook, Ariel, Ursula, Aladdin, Genie, Alice, Cheshire Cat, Maleficent and Stitch. Each beautifully crafted minifigure comes with a display plate and a collector’s leaflet. Which Disney Series character will you discover inside your next ‘mystery’ bag?
•Every minifigure comes with a display plate and a collector’s leaflet.
•Selected Disney Series minifigures come with accessories.
•Collect this exciting new series of LEGO® Minifigure characters and create your very own Disney adventures!
•Combine with LEGO® building sets for endless play possibilities.
•Have fun trading minifigures with your friends to complete your collection.
•PLEASE NOTE: Each ‘mystery’ bag contains 1 of the 18 characters available in this collection. Unfortunately, we cannot accommodate requests for specific minifigures. If you purchase more than one ‘mystery’ bag, you may receive 2 or more identical minifigures.
The Disney Minifigures LEGO Series is the first of its kind. I bought myself a box of 60 minifigures at a local store here for $239.4 + tax last week. Ouch! These minifigure boxes are definitely getting pricey. The first LEGO minifigures series that came out in 2010 cost only $1.99 USD / $2.99 CAD each. The 50-100% increase in price to $3.99 USD/CAD is definitely huge, especially considering that inflation is only a few % each year!

LEGO also sent us another box of figures as well. I didn't open the minifigures to check the distribution out. But from the packaging itself, there's some minor differences between the North American and European version. The European version is geared towards countries in Europe, Australia, New Zealand and various other countries in Asia. The North American version is for United States and Canada.

Box Packaging

The top box is a version of the LEGO Minifigures Series that I purchased from my local store in Canada. The bottom box appears to be the European version which has different languages mentioning 18 minifigures.

Side of the boxes. Top is North America while the bottom is European version.

Another image for the side of the boxes. The box from North America mentions "actual size" while the European version just has a "1:1" for the minifigure ratio.

Minifigure Packaging

The left is the North American version while the right is the European version. Pretty standard packaging like most of the other minifigure series. 10 LEGO minifigures are shown on the packet.

The left is the North American version while the right is the European version. The North American version features languages in French and Spanish while the European version features various languages in Europe and Asia.

This is the minifigure pamphlet showing all 18 LEGO minifigures in this series. It is included in every LEGO minifigure packet.

The other side of minifigure pamphlet provides instructions on how to build the minifigure. Most people would have no problem building the figures themselves, but the instructions does help with the last two minifigures shown, Buzz Lightyear and Maleficent.

Minifigures

Each box contains 60 minifigures and has three full sets of 18 minifigures. A full set of 18 minifigures include Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Donald Duck, Daisy Duck, Buzz Lightyear, Alien, Mr. Incredible, Syndrome, Peter Pan, Captain Hook, Ariel, Ursula, Aladdin, Genie, Alice, Cheshire Cat, Maleficent and Stitch.

The duplicate ones are Mickey Mouse, Alien, Mr. Incredible, Genie, Stitch, Syndrome. You get four of these in a box while there are only three in a box for all of the other minifigures.

Here's a look at the 60 minifigures from the top! :-D

Part two of the series going over each minifigure will be coming up soon, stay tune.

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [TnB] 71012 Disney Series Minifigures LEGO Review

Post by Ice » Sun May 08, 2016 4:31 pm

Part 2 Review

60 minifigures make up a box with 18 minifigures completing a set. This is different than the typical 16 minifigures per set which means there will be fewer duplicates. :up:

Four per box: Mickey Mouse, Alien, Mr. Incredible, Syndrome, Genie, Stitch
Three per box: Minnie Mouse, Donald Duck, Daisy Duck, Buzz Lightyear, Peter Pan, Captain Hook, Ariel, Ursula, Aladdin, Alice, Cheshire Cat, Maleficent

Minifigures (four in each box of 60)

Mr. Incredible
He's one of the standard minifigures and comes with a printed tile with the words "doing our part".

Different angles for Mr.Incredible.

Another angle. He's ready to fight some criminals!!

Syndrome
Like Mr.Incredible, he comes with a printed tile as well. The "S" printed letter fits nicely and goes from his torso to his legs. Oh and yeah, he comes with a cape as well, just like in the movies!

Different angles. I think LEGO did a good job in replicating Syndrome in minifigure format. Mr.Incredible should be a little taller, but that will be hard unless they give him a non-traditional LEGO feet piece.

Stitch

This minifigure definitely has the feel for Stitch. Despite having only three pieces, he is too adorable. From his head to the bottom of his feet (printed toes), LEGO really got down to the details.

Different angles. The back for Stitch has a printed tail.

Alien

When LEGO put the Alien in the Disney Minifigures Series, my mind instantly came to the 30070 LEGO Toy Story Alien Spaceship polybag set.

With this new one in the minifigures series, the printing seems to have improved, especially on the belt and the collar. Of course, you don't get the little spaceship that comes with the polybag.

Different angles.

Genie

For minifigure size, its a good replica of the Genie. However, the torso needs to be a bit wider to look like the cartoon so a new mould probably needs to be produced. Overall, nice printing on the minifigure. Reading this review in detail? Then be sure to enter our raffle for your chance to win a complete set of all 18 LEGO Disney Collectable Minifigures. In the subject, put "Disney Series Minifigures". See footnotes at the end of this post to find out where you can enter.

Different angles.

Mickey Mouse

The classic! Like Stitch, the Mickey minifigure only requires three pieces. Something about this minifigure really stands out from all of the other Disney characters. I suppose that this is the very classic of Disney and a mouse with human personality is what makes it really special. Definitely my favorite figure in this line! :-D

Different angles.

Minifigures (three in each box of 60)

Ariel.

She comes with a seashell with a gem inside. When the mermaids first came out in the Pirates of the Caribbean 4194 Whitecap Bay, people were paying crazy amounts of money for them. Its good that LEGO made the mermaids more readily available appear in several other sets including the Series 9 minifigures collection.

Peter Pan.

He comes with two knives as well. For some reason, this minifigure reminds me a bit of Robin Hood.

Maleficent

She looks like a pretty mean lady with no expression. No wonder Alice is scared of her! :???:

For this figure, two cloth pieces are provided to be put around her head.

Alice.

I like how they included a "dress" for her. This isn't the cloth version, but an actual LEGO piece which is a lot more durable. Its also printed which makes it a plus. She also has a printed drink and a cookie! (:

Donald Duck

Another classic that is instantly recognizable. His back comes with a little tail as well.

Daisy Duck

Like Donald Truck, she has a great head mould! On her head though, she has a nice bowie instead of a cap.

Ursula

This minifigure is probably the easiest to spot as the leg piece that she has really stands out. She also comes with a nice trident.

Minnie Mouse

Who can forget Minnie? She has a lot more detail compared to Mickey Mouse including a dress piece like Alice. None of those cloth dress pieces! (:

Cheshire Cat

Four pieces make up the Cat including a tail piece. I'm not too familiar with this figure, but it appears to have originated from Alice in Wonderland. This is the cartoon version of the cat.

Buzz Lightyear

This is the traditional minifigure format type. In the past, they had a different head mould and a larger body for the figure in the past Toy Story sets.

Pictured above is one of the sets (7598 Pizza Planet Truck Rescue) containing the Buzz Lightyear figure.

Aladdin

LEGO did a good job with Aladdin. He looks like the cartoon and I can see him going well with Genie. Only Genie needs to be a bit bigger!

Captain Hook

He has an artificial arm on one side. The hat and hair is also one piece that is not separable.

Minnie Mouse, Donald Duck, Daisy Duck, Buzz Lightyear, Peter Pan, Captain Hook, Ariel, Ursula, Aladdin, Alice, Cheshire Cat, Maleficent

Overall

Price: 7/10
Design: 9/10
Build: 10/10
Overall: 9.5/10

This is one of the better LEGO minifigures series. I know I'm a little bias, but I really liked the Disney Cartoons when I was a kid. :-D However, the price for these minifigures is more on the higher end. At $3.99 for each minifigure, you can probably get a LEGO polybag set with 1-2 minifigures and some extra pieces. You will be looking at about $72 for a complete set of 18 minifigures and that is if you go and hunt each one out individually. With that said, the justification is that these minifigures are really well designed and will most likely be only available in this collectable minifigures series. Definitely get it if you have the chance. Everyone should at least get a Mickey Mouse! $3.99 won't kill your wallet. ;)

Minnie is lending Mickey with the Bowie!

Thanks for reading the review everyone. We like to invite you to enter our giveaway for this review! Win a set of three LEGO Disney Series minifigures (Genie, Mr.Incredible and Syndrome). In the subject, put Genie. See footnotes below for details.

Don't forget to vote for your favorite minifigure in the poll! (:

*Enter here. Ends May 14, 2016 at 21:00 PST. Packets have been opened to confirm minifigures.

jmeninno
Knight
Knight

Post by jmeninno » Sun May 08, 2016 7:57 pm

Anyone know if these are coming back in stock at S@H or in Lego stores? Thanks!

cfc0d3r
I'm New !

Post by cfc0d3r » Sun May 08, 2016 8:26 pm

After being listed as "Sold Out" on the Lego online store within 24 hours after going on sale May 1st, I purchased 36 more bags (2 orders) on May 6th from the Lego online store. I recommend visiting the site frequently to see if they have availability. It seemed strange that after being listed as Sold Out, that they had more. Lego is typically pretty good with managing and predicting stock/inventory availability.

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Sun May 08, 2016 11:45 pm

jmeninno wrote:Anyone know if these are coming back in stock at S@H or in Lego stores? Thanks!
Like cfc0d3r, I would recommend that you keep checking LEGO Shop at Home and your local LEGO store. Remember that other retailers such as Wal-Mart, Toys R Us and Barnes & Nobles carry these minifigures as well so it wouldn't hurt to pop by and have a look. Toysrus.com currently has it instock with a limit of 2 per customer.

For those in Canada, Chapters.ca has the minifigures instock with a limit of 20 per customer.Toysrus.ca also has it instock with a limit of 3 per customer. Good luck!

Legotrain1
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Legotrain1 » Mon May 09, 2016 12:31 pm

Typically CMF's are 'sold out' at S@H by reappear in a week or two, I think it occurs because I'm not sure if LEGO lists CMFs as 'backordered' or not. Bottom line, there are typically two shipments that go out to stores so everyone panic buys, or tries to profiteer on them with those desperate to buy immediately, then they sit on a shelf for a while. Not sure if that will occur with the Disney CMFs, but it had occurred with the last few runs of CMFs, including the Simpsons figures.

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Tue May 10, 2016 8:34 pm

Part 2 Review is now up! See second post. (:

AbuTaleb
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by AbuTaleb » Wed May 11, 2016 5:39 am

Great work .. Now I have a good idea about all the minifigures and I can go to Toys R Us and know what inside the bags by touch :)
I will get the following:
Mickey Mouse
Alien (x3)
Syndrome,
Stitch
Donald Duck
Buzz Lightyear
Peter Pan
Captain Hook
Ariel
Ursula
Maleficent