Wish you got it sooner...

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
calvinwashere2
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Wish you got it sooner...

Post by calvinwashere2 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:46 pm

Another post asked the question of which set did you regret buying, in this one I want to ask which set did you regret not buying SOONER? :o

I'll start, I first saw Cafe Corner on an after Xmas sale a couple years ago. At the time I didn't have a lot of room at my place and my child was too young to enjoy it with so I didn't think to pick it up when it was going for $99 at the Lego store (slight damage to the box). Flash forward to about 6 months ago, I came out of the dark ages and decided this would be a nice set to build and let my child play with. Of course by the time I figured that I might like one, it got discontinued and prices were going through the roof. I did finally manage to pick up a totally beat-up box (though with all the pieces intact) from BrinkLink for $250. I guess I should be glad that at least it wasn't for $400. :roll:

So that's my story, what's yours?

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Re: Wish you get it sooner...

Post by legitimatealex » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:59 am

Before I came out of my dark ages I was walking through Target and saw the Exo Force sets and thought they were really cool, but I really wasn’t into LEGO and hadn’t been since around 7th grade so I passed. Fast forward to the year I started getting back into LEGO after my girlfriend and I dug up an old bin of her LEGO bricks and started playing with them. I remembered the Exo Force set that I wanted and went back to see if they had it but to my surprise I was seriously a month too late because Exo Force had ended by then. I now have no Exo Force sets and am a sad panda.

Moral of the story: if there is a set you really want never hesitate to save up and by it before it is too late!
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:41 am

I'm in this situation with the Agents Robo Attack set - it apparently started getting cleared out right around the time I came out of my Dark Ages (this past Christmas) but I didn't realize that because my local TRU still had a bunch (but, of course, marked up above MSRP) so I didn't buy it during one of their many BOGO50% sales (opting, instead, for newer sets for some reason...), and now I'm kicking myself. At least a dude on FBTB has offered it to me at cost + shipping which is awesome, but still - it was in my grasp a long time ago!
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:37 am

This is a hard one, since there are so many sets I've wanted, and not bought.
Didn't really have a dark age, as you guys did, pretty much been collecting since was a kid.

I actually had to sell off a bunch of my lego sets, incl. 9V train sets and star wars sets due to lack of funds, i regret that more than not buying any particular set. But of course i was newly married, and unemployed so did what i had to. :ugeek:

Now that I have 2 kids, I wont really get rid of many, since now ill pass them on to them. Well most of them :mrgreen:

I am having to focus my spending, so I am not collecting star wars sets. At least for right now.
Really like Power Miners and new kingdom sets.
Still need 8190 & 8191. Hope to get them b4 they gone.
Spent all my LEGO money on Kingdoms sets(loved castles longer than rock/lava monsters)

Anyway, good topic!
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:00 am

ncbarrett wrote:I actually had to sell off a bunch of my lego sets, incl. 9V train sets and star wars sets due to lack of funds, i regret that more than not buying any particular set. But of course i was newly married, and unemployed so did what i had to. :ugeek:
At least you got money for them... my brother and I had a LOT of stuff as a kid. When my dad told me he was selling our house, I had a weekend to clear our stuff out. I kept what I thought had value and told him to dump the rest. In there were the original Black Seas Barracuda, Caribbean Clipper, Forbidden Island, Eldorado Fortress, all Blacktron 1, almost all Space Police 1, a lot of Classic Space... just a LOT of stuff. I have MAJOR pangs of regret every once-in-a-while these days.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:51 am

vynsane wrote:
At least you got money for them... my brother and I had a LOT of stuff as a kid. When my dad told me he was selling our house, I had a weekend to clear our stuff out. I kept what I thought had value and told him to dump the rest. In there were the original Black Seas Barracuda, Caribbean Clipper, Forbidden Island, Eldorado Fortress, all Blacktron 1, almost all Space Police 1, a lot of Classic Space... just a LOT of stuff. I have MAJOR pangs of regret every once-in-a-while these days.
I think we need a moment of silence for that. :(
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:11 pm

I'm sure somewhere in the world someone is now enjoying all of those bricks.

calvinwashere2
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by calvinwashere2 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:18 pm

vynsane wrote:I'm in this situation with the Agents Robo Attack set - it apparently started getting cleared out right around the time I came out of my Dark Ages (this past Christmas) but I didn't realize that because my local TRU still had a bunch (but, of course, marked up above MSRP) so I didn't buy it during one of their many BOGO50% sales (opting, instead, for newer sets for some reason...), and now I'm kicking myself. At least a dude on FBTB has offered it to me at cost + shipping which is awesome, but still - it was in my grasp a long time ago!
Yeah, that's one that I always thought I should pick up. Today, I decided better order one from BrickLink before that goes onto my sad story list. Through BL, the markup isn't very high since it's a recent EOL for that set...grab it now before it keeps going up and up! :)

calvinwashere2
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by calvinwashere2 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:19 pm

legitimatealex wrote: Moral of the story: if there is a set you really want never hesitate to save up and by it before it is too late!
Well said and speaking from lessons learned.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:42 am

ncbarrett wrote:I think we need a moment of silence for that. :(
Heh... I've had many moments of silence... AND yelling... for that.
legitimatealex wrote:I'm sure somewhere in the world someone is now enjoying all of those bricks.
That's my only hope - that they're not in some landfill, but that the kids of some garbage man somewhere are REALLY happy.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:31 am

My grandfather was a trash collector and he said he sold a ton of stuff to get by straight from people's trash. They're pretty good at spotting what's worth something and what's not. Classic LEGO = worth taking.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:56 am

legitimatealex wrote:My grandfather was a trash collector and he said he sold a ton of stuff to get by straight from people's trash...
That explains the strange sell from the Ebay Legos i buy. :lol:

somehappybricks
I'm New !

Re: Wish you got it sooner...

Post by somehappybricks » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:06 am

I saw 'TOWN PLAN" on sale on Amazon right after the turkey day sales.
It was $89.00 but I thought that it was kinda selfish to purchase it since it would have taken money away from gifts that I was to purchase for others.
I have not seen it for under $200 anywhere.
(I really only want the movie theater).
(((((((curses))))))))

To make up for it, I purchased the brigade and green grocer within weeks of each other.
If I see it and want it, from now on, I am going to get it if the bills are paid! I will have to be a bit more creative with the gift giving this xmas, just incase something else nice comes out, I will not be caught with my pants down.

starwarsgeek
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by starwarsgeek » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:23 pm

somehappybricks wrote:I saw 'TOWN PLAN" on sale on Amazon right after the turkey day sales.
It was $89.00 but I thought that it was kinda selfish to purchase it since it would have taken money away from gifts that I was to purchase for others.
I have not seen it for under $200 anywhere.
(I really only want the movie theater).
(((((((curses))))))))

To make up for it, I purchased the brigade and green grocer within weeks of each other.
If I see it and want it, from now on, I am going to get it if the bills are paid! I will have to be a bit more creative with the gift giving this xmas, just incase something else nice comes out, I will not be caught with my pants down.
You should get it soon. A new one is over $200 on bricklink already.

NIGELTTF
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by NIGELTTF » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:46 am

legitimatealex wrote:Before I came out of my dark ages I was walking through Target and saw the Exo Force sets and thought they were really cool, but I really wasn’t into LEGO and hadn’t been since around 7th grade so I passed. Fast forward to the year I started getting back into LEGO after my girlfriend and I dug up an old bin of her LEGO bricks and started playing with them. I remembered the Exo Force set that I wanted and went back to see if they had it but to my surprise I was seriously a month too late because Exo Force had ended by then. I now have no Exo Force sets and am a sad panda.

Moral of the story: if there is a set you really want never hesitate to save up and by it before it is too late!
Actually Exoforce was not a very popular line, and is readily available with only minimal markups(I've seen sets regularly going for only 10% over msrp) in the secondary market.

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by slacker » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:12 am

I wish I would've gotten cafe corner last winter. Now it's atleast double that. I have fire brigade and Grand emporium. I'll be getting green grocer shortly.

calvinwashere2
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by calvinwashere2 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:22 am

slacker wrote:I wish I would've gotten cafe corner last winter. Now it's atleast double that. I have fire brigade and Grand emporium. I'll be getting green grocer shortly.
Good for you, go for it! You'll love Green Grocer. I think it's an even better built than Cafe Corner for its variety and details. This is one you don't want to miss (this time around). :)

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by slacker » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:07 pm

We haven't finished the fire brigade since I'm waiting for Lego to send me a replacement garage door panel. It came bent. I disappointed that the base was two pieces instead of one large piece. I'm really digging these modular buildings and hope they come out with more.

NIGELTTF
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by NIGELTTF » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:21 am

slacker wrote:We haven't finished the fire brigade since I'm waiting for Lego to send me a replacement garage door panel. It came bent. I disappointed that the base was two pieces instead of one large piece. I'm really digging these modular buildings and hope they come out with more.
Very good speculation is that they have at least one more in the works; wild speculation is that it is post office.
:)

toystest
Knight
Knight

Post by toystest » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:07 am

NIGELTTF wrote:
slacker wrote:We haven't finished the fire brigade since I'm waiting for Lego to send me a replacement garage door panel. It came bent. I disappointed that the base was two pieces instead of one large piece. I'm really digging these modular buildings and hope they come out with more.
Very good speculation is that they have at least one more in the works; wild speculation is that it is post office.
:)
Seeing as how popular those modular sets are I can not imagine that they are going to stop making those anytime soon.
The reason people think the next one is a post office is because of the following:
The Green Grocer had a Fire hydrant sitting outside -> Next set was the Fire Brigade
The Emporium has a mailbox in front of it -> people assume the next one is a mail office.