Smashing-Bricks.com is gone :(

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Smashing-Bricks.com is gone :(

Post by vynsane » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:34 am

I enjoyed the niche LEGO blogging at Smashing-Bricks.com, mainly for the compilation of instructions you couldn't easily find - I started compiling the Mini Monthly Model Builds and others on my Dropbox because of this blog. I went looking for it today just to see what was new and what's new is that it's no longer available! I found a message/link to the final blog post on the Facebook page, but it's a link to a blog post (entitled "All Good Things Must Come To An End") which is now a broken link because the site is down.

Anyway, not sure if anyone else was a fan, but I'm disappointed.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

SpaceViking
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: Smashing-Bricks.com is gone :(

Post by SpaceViking » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:20 am

from the way-back machine:
The title of this post says it all, this will indeed be the last post of my blog. There are many reasons to my decision but the most important and main reason is, time. When I started the blog, I chased after every bit of news related to LEGO, I had so much to say and so much to write. Nowadays, every post I put up feels like a regurgitation of the same news just rephrased in a different way. Being starved for time between family, work, LEGO and everything else, I am indeed guilty of “going through the motion” of putting up posts just for the sake of it.

Finally, I accepted the fact that if I wanted to maintain a proper blog, it has to be a blog of quality, and of substance. Without time on my side, this is quite impossible for me to achieve. I hope I’ve served the LEGO community well these past 3 years and I thank each and everyone of you who supported and read my blog. I leave you now with June’s LEGO Monthly Mini Model Build (I did not forget!). Thank you all once again, God bless and signing off for the last time ;)

June 9, 2013
I read the blog occasionally, but haven't visited in over a year. Mostly for the reasons the author stated "regurgitation of the same news". I wish them well.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:17 am

The "regurgitation" thing I can understand, but he had gone to great lengths, I thought, to stand out by featuring the "lesser known instructions" like those that can be found at http://www.BuildTogether.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or the LEGO Club site and the MMMBs. Oh, well.

Lforcey
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Lforcey » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:49 pm

Thanks vynsane, I'm happy to know I'm not losing it. I went looking for this blog a few weeks ago to track down some mini build instructions. I too share your disappointment at its demise. At the time I figured it was my poor googling skills and lack of sense to bookmark the site that made me not able to find it. Definitely a shame it's gone, I went there for mini build instructions for our after-school club many times over the last few years.

Mrbill317
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Mrbill317 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:54 pm

Maybe we can reach out to him on FB to move those instructions here or something. I would gladly host it on my google drive or similar.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:31 pm

I'm pretty sure I have most of them on my DropBox account at this point.

SugarConroy
I'm New !

Post by SugarConroy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:39 am

Many of the monthly build instructions are available as images on his Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/smashingbricks/page1/