How many CMF series can we expect?

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
countryboy
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

How many CMF series can we expect?

Post by countryboy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:33 am

So, we are now up to S9 officially and I am just wondering how many series to you suspect TLG will release? The only reason i am asking is that i am in the process of building a wood display unit for these and was going to with 10 but now am starting to second guess this. Ideally, if they continue on to say 12 or so, i am better off making two units, 8 series in each..

Just wondering if there is any definitive answer to this...

Cheers,

Edmond Dantes
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: How many CMF series can we expect?

Post by Edmond Dantes » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:17 pm

Well, 11 have been confirmed so far. I would imagine they'd continue beyond that, but who knows?

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:33 pm

It seems like every four series or so this conversation comes up. They'll continue making them until they're no longer profitable.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

super26
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by super26 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:11 am

vynsane wrote:It seems like every four series or so this conversation comes up. They'll continue making them until they're no longer profitable.
I am sure they will continue to make minifigures, even 10 years from now. Can't see why mini-figures would not be profitable in the near future.

super26
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by super26 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:17 am

Based on the release of other minifigures, I guess we are going to see Series 10 coming out in May 2013, and Series 11 out in Sept, 2013?.. if so, that's three series within one year.

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:51 pm

super26 wrote:
vynsane wrote:It seems like every four series or so this conversation comes up. They'll continue making them until they're no longer profitable.
I am sure they will continue to make minifigures, even 10 years from now. Can't see why mini-figures would not be profitable in the near future.
Because if they raise the price to $4, due to production costs, a mini figure then there is the backlash and sales could decrease. Nothing will last forever.

Luciant
Count
Count

Post by Luciant » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:30 pm

I just had a conversation about this related topic the other day. Here is my take:

The cmf series is owned by Lego without having to pay any license fees, so it is a way they can produce minifigs alone without the fear of Hasbro sing them for action figure infringement. I personally believe that this is one of their best ways to produce new minifig accessories since if they create new molds for a specific line, they most likely won't sell enough sets to justify the expense. Since cmf are relatively cheap, they can sell a lot more to a larger audience and make their mold expenses back if not turn a profit.
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.