LEGO Party Games?

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
melsig
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

LEGO Party Games?

Post by melsig » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:08 am

Soooo, my son is having a LEGO-themed birthday party in a few weeks. He gave me almost a year to prepare, so I picked up some nice sets on deep discount for Build and Take games, but I could use one more group game, in case we have too much time. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Right now, I have 2 games planned. The first one is a relay race where each child grabs a scoop, runs to a big bin of LEGOS, scoops as many as he can, runs back and starts building/adding on to a tower - with the winning team being the one with the tallest standing tower. The second one is the old LEGO piece in a balloon game, where the child in each group pops a balloon and gets points based on the color of LEGO brick inside - with the winning team being the one with the biggest number of points.

If anyone has a tried and true third game they could suggest, I'd appreciate it!

cupishalfempty
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: LEGO Party Games?

Post by cupishalfempty » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:31 am

This isn't a tried and true game, but it's a lego spin off of a group game that I've played several times that's a hit.

Build a small box out of lego put a prize inside. Then build a larger box around the smaller box, and then a larger box. Do this as many times as you wish.

Then for the game, grab a dice and a pair of oven mitts. First person rolls the dice, if they get a 1 or a 6 they can put the mitts on then start trying to open the box. The next person at the table then rolls the dice, if they get a 1 or a 6, they grab the oven mitts and start trying to open the box. If they don't roll a 1 or 6, they hand the dice to the next person, all the while the first person is still trying to get into the box. Whoever get's to the prize on their turn wins.

I usually do this with boxes wrapped in paper, but I imagine trying to open a lego built box would be difficult enough to pace the game so each person get's a couple trys at it.

Hope this helps.

Billy.

P.s. I love the invitations

melsig
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by melsig » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:35 am

cupishalfempty wrote:This isn't a tried and true game, but it's a lego spin off of a group game that I've played several times that's a hit.

Build a small box out of lego put a prize inside. Then build a larger box around the smaller box, and then a larger box. Do this as many times as you wish.

Then for the game, grab a dice and a pair of oven mitts. First person rolls the dice, if they get a 1 or a 6 they can put the mitts on then start trying to open the box. The next person at the table then rolls the dice, if they get a 1 or a 6, they grab the oven mitts and start trying to open the box. If they don't roll a 1 or 6, they hand the dice to the next person, all the while the first person is still trying to get into the box. Whoever get's to the prize on their turn wins.

I usually do this with boxes wrapped in paper, but I imagine trying to open a lego built box would be difficult enough to pace the game so each person get's a couple trys at it.

Hope this helps.

Billy.

P.s. I love the invitations
Oh, I like your version much better than the "hot potato" game. Thank you! I wonder if this would work with a large group of boys?

I thought the invitations were a good idea (I picked up the bricks during the 2-for-1 pick-a-brick promotion last year) until I realized I'd have to apply stickers to 200+ bricks!

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:00 pm

Your invite looks great!

We had a LEGO themed party for my daughter a few years ago with family. We filled a glass jar with bricks and asked people to guess the number of bricks on a slip of paper. You can print out a cute slip of paper with the LEGO logo or a minifig graphic etc. If you don't have a huge jar you can do the count with the kids and award a prize.

Have fun and post back with how it goes, are you doing a fun cake?

melsig
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by melsig » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:02 am

Oh, that's a good one - and simple (I like simple!) Thanks!

Well, the kids are getting regular cupcakes with some of those little brick candies they can build and decorate themselves. We do a cake at home for the family, too, so I'm debating what kind of LEGO cake to make for that. I have both the brick and minifig ice cube trays, so I may mold chocolate for those and decorate it that way. Or just cut a big sheet cake into individual bricks (with the whole Oreos under icing for the tops) and ice them different colors. I don't know yet...