Which minifigure is the rarest?

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
Legopilot
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Which minifigure is the rarest?

Post by Legopilot » Sun May 30, 2010 9:53 pm

Is there more of a certain minifigure in a box than others? Which collectable minifigures are the rarest and most common?

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Re: Which minifigure is the rarest?

Post by vynsane » Mon May 31, 2010 6:14 am

There seems to be a relatively even number of each per box, with maybe a few that are one less than the others. According to Huw at Brickset.com
Indian 3, Cheerleader 3, Caveman 4, Clown 3, Zombie 3, Skater 3, Robot 4, Dummy 5, Magician 4, Wrestler 3, Nurse 3, Ninja 5, Astronaut 4, Archer 4, Diver 5, Cowboy 4
but that's only based on two boxes. I think the box I sifted through with the barcode cheatsheet yielded similar results, maybe not exact. When you look at the numbers, though, there are 60 per box, and 16 in a full set. The average would be 3.75 of each, meaning some would be 3 some would be 4. You can pretty much guarantee three full sets of 16 in a box, with 12 more thrown in.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:09 am

I think LEGO messed up with the minifigs.
If every box has multiples of all the figures, its not very hard to collect them all.

As a collector, that doesn't appeal to me.

Now what they should have done, was make a couple figures rare (i.e. 1 per box) and 1 ultra-rare (i.e. 1 per 4 boxes)

I really don't have much interest in searching them out, knowing none are that really that rare, and ill be able to find them. Even if it means I'll have to spend $120 for a whole box.

Just my 2 cents. :ugeek:
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

yankeeken
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by yankeeken » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:03 pm

You have to remember that LEGO is a child's toy and as a child's toy it is marketed towards children not your average adult collector. Personally, I don't think super rare minifigs, as you suggest, would bee something that your average child would be interested in seeing.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:05 am

yankeeken wrote:Personally, I don't think super rare minifigs, as you suggest, would bee something that your average child would be interested in seeing.
Or me, for that matter. I'm glad they're relatively evenly packed. The demand for certain figures over others will cause enough rarity for certain ones to be more 'valuable' than others. To add 'super limited edition' figures into the mix would just cause widespread frustration with the entire thing and probably cause them to discontinue after Series 2.

yankeeken
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by yankeeken » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:07 pm

I agree with vynsane. It will be hard enough to get things like Zombies with people hording them for apocalyptic MOCs.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:41 pm

yankeeken wrote:I agree with vynsane. It will be hard enough to get things like Zombies with people hording them for apocalyptic MOCs.
Seconded. The more popular minifigures (Forestman, Robot and Zombie appear to be the most popular from what I gather) are going to become a rare trade as soon as the bags start disappearing from the shelves. Sure there are a lot of us out there who will trade (I for one will as soon as I have some TO trade) but some people will just stock pile a certain minifig and make it harder for the rest of us. If they weren't evenly distributed, I think most of us would be screwed out of a fig or two.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

Tomatoe
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Tomatoe » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:50 pm

They usually have more divers, dummys and cowboys. I got a case and I had 4-5 of them.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:03 am

Tomatoe wrote:They usually have more divers, dummys and cowboys. I got a case and I had 4-5 of them.
From what I've seen reading across the boards they always have 2 complete sets at least and there is no rarity. Someone compiled on EB around 20 or 30 case findings and concluded that no particular minifigure stood out to be more common than the rest, at least not to any number that was statistically significant.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

ragingcelt
I'm New !

Post by ragingcelt » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:23 pm

Personally I am appalled at the idea of a "rare" figure. As mentioned previously these are for kids. As a Dad I cannot tell you how heartbreaking it is to see your kid disappointed that he hasn't gotten the one he is after. And I cannot tell you how frustrating it is to go to eBay and shell out an enormous amount of cash because some ridiculous "person" is making a quick buck. You see it now with sets like Batman and SpongeBob. Legoes are enough of an investment without the added insult of shelling out $500+ for some sets. (That's no joke!) I get the whole supply and demand thing. I do. I used to be a collector and one of the major reasons I ditched the "hobby" was because of the inflated prices other collectors adhere to. For me and mine I am glad there is no "rare" collectible and I am adhering even more strongly to Lego as a company that is true to their customer base, the kids.

Tomatoe
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Tomatoe » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:50 pm

legitimatealex wrote:
Tomatoe wrote:They usually have more divers, dummys and cowboys. I got a case and I had 4-5 of them.
From what I've seen reading across the boards they always have 2 complete sets at least and there is no rarity. Someone compiled on EB around 20 or 30 case findings and concluded that no particular minifigure stood out to be more common than the rest, at least not to any number that was statistically significant.
Good to hear they are evenly distributed. The "rare" figures like clown and cheerleader are expensive right now while stuff like divers still remain near the retail cost. I cannot imagine the prices if there is rarity of the figures.

TClone
Knight
Knight

Post by TClone » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:05 am

They told me at LEGO Shop at Home that they are all evenly distributed, and you have an equal chance of getting each figure. To me, the Skater is the rarest, but I accepted their explanation.

xeno
Peasant
Peasant

Post by xeno » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:40 am

From what I have bough/collecting so far, the rarest could be the nurse, skater and the zombie... But this is me. I mean, everyone can speak of what is the rarest according to what minifigure they have and what they are missing.
I heard that clown and cheerleader are scarce and expensive,(as Tomatoe said above) but I have 4 cheerleaders (keeping for myself 3) and 2 clowns.
Surely there could be a guy out there who got 3 or 4 nurses, and I got none. So yeah, for me the Nurse is a rare one... :roll:

TClone
Knight
Knight

Post by TClone » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:54 am

I would agree that the Skater is rare...

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by slacker » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:36 am

hello gals and guys. Just wanted to say hi since I'm new. With that said, I think none of the figures are rare. Most boxes contain 3 sets. I also got 5 divers and 5 cowboys in my box. I went to the Lego store yesterday and they have plenty of Robots. Kids don't care about rarity. All they wanted was to finish their collection. I met a family there and helped them with my phone since they drove an hour away to get these.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:45 am

slacker wrote:... I went to the Lego store yesterday and they have plenty of Robots. Kids don't care about rarity...
I NEED more robots!
Which Lego store?
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

xeno
Peasant
Peasant

Post by xeno » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:52 am

slacker wrote:hello gals and guys. Just wanted to say hi since I'm new. With that said, I think none of the figures are rare. Most boxes contain 3 sets. I also got 5 divers and 5 cowboys in my box. I went to the Lego store yesterday and they have plenty of Robots. Kids don't care about rarity. All they wanted was to finish their collection. I met a family there and helped them with my phone since they drove an hour away to get these.
Hello and welcome aboard!
They drove an hour away for minifigures? Cool... seems to be an awesome product from Lego. No doubt :shock: Everybody runs to get minifigures. Boys, girls, dads, adults, almost anyone ...
And... yeah I am eager to get my hands to series 2 :geek:

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by slacker » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:34 am

Store is in NY. I stopped by lastnight and they only had 20 -25 bags left. That's from 120. I picked up what my buddy needed to finish his set. They will probably be gone by today. Robots are all gone. they had nurse, dummy, clown and some others that I can't remember.

I also posted somewhere else but the TRU in Queens, NY had the minifigs for $3 with a limit of 2 per customers. :o

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:12 pm

slacker wrote:Store is in NY. I stopped by lastnight and they only had 20 -25 bags left. That's from 120. I picked up what my buddy needed to finish his set. They will probably be gone by today. Robots are all gone. they had nurse, dummy, clown and some others that I can't remember.

I also posted somewhere else but the TRU in Queens, NY had the minifigs for $3 with a limit of 2 per customers. :o
Where in NY are you? I got my full set at the Valley Stream store, but I live in the Hudson Valley - just happened to be visiting my mom on The Island and called around. I never saw them up by me (but I stopped looking once I got all the ones I wanted, naturally...)

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by slacker » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:17 am

I'm across the river from you. I'm in Rockland NY. I got it at the pallisades mall.