Are re-sellers bad human being?

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
thehotsung
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Are re-sellers bad human being?

Post by thehotsung » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:21 pm

I'm curious to see what non-re-sellers think about re-sellers and I would like to get a perspective from re-sellers as well.

There is no question that it something to be frown upon, and there is a question of one's own moral values as well.

Edmond Dantes
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: Are re-sellers bad human being?

Post by Edmond Dantes » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:59 pm

thehotsung wrote:I'm curious to see what non-re-sellers think about re-sellers and I would like to get a perspective from re-sellers as well.

There is no question that it something to be frown upon, and there is a question of one's own moral values as well.

Oh please. :crazy:

I resell a small amount and my prices are always the lowest on Bricklink. I recycle profits into the hobby and buy at the most 4 of each set for resale purposes. I am strictly small time, but I happen to think there is nothing wrong with it.

People have no idea how much leg work is involved and you always run the risk of someone beating you to the deals. If Lego is clearancing the Maersk train at 10% + 10% off, plus VIP points, plus a holiday set, why shouldn't I buy two - one to build and one to keep in the closet for a year and resell next Christmas (while hopefully paying for BOTH)? If people want to buy them from me, fine - if not, that's fine too. Nothing is stopping anyone from doing the exact same thing I am.

It really pisses me off when people think we're doing this solely for profit, or we're horrible. Resellers cannot drive up the prices. That is impossible on a non-collectible item (which Lego is not - by which I mean the production is not limited, except in extreme cases). Lego produces to demand - supply is not fixed.

Resellers provide an after-market market! If not for the resellers, how would people obtain after-market items?

Why don't people think critically? Who is John Galt?

thehotsung
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by thehotsung » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:35 am

Edmond Dantes wrote:
thehotsung wrote:I'm curious to see what non-re-sellers think about re-sellers and I would like to get a perspective from re-sellers as well.

I resell a small amount and my prices are always the lowest on Bricklink. I recycle profits into the hobby and buy at the most 4 of each set for resale purposes. I am strictly small time, but I happen to think there is nothing wrong with it.

People have no idea how much leg work is involved and you always run the risk of someone beating you to the deals. If Lego is clearancing the Maersk train at 10% + 10% off, plus VIP points, plus a holiday set, why shouldn't I buy two - one to build and one to keep in the closet for a year and resell next Christmas (while hopefully paying for BOTH)? If people want to buy them from me, fine - if not, that's fine too. Nothing is stopping anyone from doing the exact same thing I am.

It really pisses me off when people think we're doing this solely for profit, or we're horrible. Resellers cannot drive up the prices. That is impossible on a non-collectible item (which Lego is not - by which I mean the production is not limited, except in extreme cases). Lego produces to demand - supply is not fixed.

Resellers provide an after-market market! If not for the resellers, how would people obtain after-market items?

Obviously Lego reseller are no where as bad as shoe (Air Jordan) seller because Lego can be obtain at MSRP while the "shoe game" is not available in store for more than a few hours so re-seller are really bad stinking selfish human being.

There are no worst resellers than the shoe game.

As for Lego reseller, they actually provide some benefits.

Tyrant01
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Tyrant01 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:55 am

thehotsung wrote:
Edmond Dantes wrote:

Obviously Lego reseller are no where as bad as shoe (Air Jordan) seller because Lego can be obtain at MSRP while the "shoe game" is not available in store for more than a few hours so re-seller are really bad stinking selfish human being.

There are no worst resellers than the shoe game.

As for Lego reseller, they actually provide some benefits.
I think the one you should be angry with in your shoe example is the people making/selling the shoes. If they make them in low enough numbers that they can be gobbled up in a few hours then they did it on purpose to have it go exactly that way. There's no reason, beyond hyping them up in order to be assured a sell out within hours/days, to limit the production of shoes. I understand the reseller hostility when it comes to something like a concert or sporting event where the "producer" (band, team, whoever) really has no choice in how many to make available. There it is just the reseller. With something that a producer chooses to make limited for no great reason, blame the producer* because they could've made more.

*This is assuming you feel the need to blame anyone. Personally I accepted a long time ago that I wouldn't get everything I wanted in life and I try to enjoy what I do get instead of having sour grapes about what I don't.

Edmond Dantes
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by Edmond Dantes » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:07 am

All of these are great examples of how re-sellers can ruin a market for a product produced in limited quantities, but it also illustrates the misconception people have regarding Lego resellers.

Other than limited edition sets (and perhaps not even in those cases), production is not limited to a set amount (unlike the limited edition shoes, or concert seats where the amount is limited by the size of the stadium). Production is driven by demand. If people are clever enough to stock up an item not in demand, yet will be in demand later, more power to them. They run the risk of being stuck with worthless stock if the item never does become in demand (Prince of Persia, Pharaoh's Quest, Atlantis, etc, etc).

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:41 am

Personally, I only think badly of resellers when they rush into a store first thing in the morning and buy ALL of a particular set (like say its on 50% off sale) preventing parents (for example) of getting little Johnny or Suzy the set they've been asking for all year. If a person is just buying LEGO and reselling it after it goes off the market for a profit, I see nothing wrong with that at all. If I didn't get it at retail, its my own fault if I have to go to a reseller and pay a premium for it.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

boomers
I'm New !

Post by boomers » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:38 am

hatcher wrote:Personally, I only think badly of resellers when they rush into a store first thing in the morning and buy ALL of a particular set (like say its on 50% off sale) preventing parents (for example) of getting little Johnny or Suzy the set they've been asking for all year. If a person is just buying LEGO and reselling it after it goes off the market for a profit, I see nothing wrong with that at all. If I didn't get it at retail, its my own fault if I have to go to a reseller and pay a premium for it.
+1

... and your signature made me laugh.

thehotsung
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by thehotsung » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:48 am

You guys are right it the Shoe game re-seller that I'm mad at and not Lego re-seller.

It just with the shoe game, everyone put in the same amount of effort but those who have tons of people helping them out are the one that end up with like 25 boxes of shoe. There is literally no work on their end like Lego reseller because they tend to have help and they know that they can double the MSRP and people will still buy it since it is what "hot" whereas Lego are harder to sell and made take years before it is profitable.

Another thing I want to add is Lego re-seller at least most of them do love Lego whereas the shoe game is a business and I know some of the nastiest shoe re-seller could care less about the shoe.

crazybirdman
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by crazybirdman » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:42 pm

hatcher wrote:Personally, I only think badly of resellers when they rush into a store first thing in the morning and buy ALL of a particular set (like say its on 50% off sale) preventing parents (for example) of getting little Johnny or Suzy the set they've been asking for all year. If a person is just buying LEGO and reselling it after it goes off the market for a profit, I see nothing wrong with that at all. If I didn't get it at retail, its my own fault if I have to go to a reseller and pay a premium for it.
Those statements seems to contradict each other. If you didn't get it at retail, you can't be mad if someone buys them all when they go on sale. (whether you are buying to keep or sell.) If you are waiting for a sale, you run the risk of missing out on getting the item, no matter what the item is. And LEGI is a lot different than other items that a re re-sold/scalped. Like others have mentioned, there are plenty of LEGO sets to go around, not like concert tickets. Also many of the resellers are parting out sets. That's a service that simply would not be available if not for resellers.

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:20 pm

How do they contadict each other? A person buying every set in a store before anyone else gets a chance is a completely different situation from me wanting to buy a set that is no longer available. Situation one is exactly the same as a ticker scalper buying all the tickets to the Stanley cup finals (assuming they ever play pro hockey again) screwing the true fans. I don't have a problem with people buying sets to part out, in fact, I love the fact that I can take advantage of parting out sets so I can get that cool minifure or rare part without having to buy a $100 set. Also, I will not pay more then 10 cents a piece for a set, so I routinely miss out on sets that sell out without ever going on sale. My budget is more important to me then owning every LEGO set in existance. Although it would be nice.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

thehotsung
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by thehotsung » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:00 pm

If you guys miss my previous reply, I don't hate Lego re seller but I hate shoe seller because you don't even get a chance to buy shoe like you can with Lego.

sadowsk1
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by sadowsk1 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:47 pm

No. They aren't bad human beings. The title of this thread has been poorly chosen.

solo606
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by solo606 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:12 am

I don't hate resellers. For some it is how they invest their money, for others they fund their hobby by selling.
It is easy enough to figure out the market, a stores clearance cycle, and Lego's product life cycle. When sets are on the shelves and in store they are certainly not in limited quantity except perhaps when they are initially released. There is plenty of time for people to pick them up if they want while the set is being produced. Its not like the collector is going to shop.lego or a brand retail store and buying every one of a particular set. Sure some of us will buy multiples of a set when it is on clearance, but that is just snagging a good deal. I like buying Lego on sale/clearance because I like the thrill of the hunt and not paying full price.

Bizarro
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Bizarro » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:57 am

So who do you turn to when Lego ends a line and retailers no longer carry what you're wanting?

What about those eBay guys who run .99c auctions only to see, what you think is worth $10, bid up by other customers to $45.00?

After retailers stop carrying a particular item, it's supply v demand. Like anything else and you have to ask yourself; "Well, how much do I really want 30140?"

thehotsung
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by thehotsung » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:09 pm

Bizarro wrote:So who do you turn to when Lego ends a line and retailers no longer carry what you're wanting?

What about those eBay guys who run .99c auctions only to see, what you think is worth $10, bid up by other customers to $45.00?

After retailers stop carrying a particular item, it's supply v demand. Like anything else and you have to ask yourself; "Well, how much do I really want 30140?"
Let say I want Town Plan which was retail for $150. Now it sold for $600, I mean who in their right mind would pay that much? Even if I was a millionaire I wouldn't pay that much.

Bizarro
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Bizarro » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:46 pm

thehotsung wrote:Let say I want Town Plan which was retail for $150. Now it sold for $600, I mean who in their right mind would pay that much? Even if I was a millionaire I wouldn't pay that much.
I wouldn't either :P However, that puts us in a safe position. We've saved money simply by not spending it. I guess all we could really hope for is an auction that didn't get much attention. It all boils down to how many are left and how many people still want it.

emazers
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by emazers » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:25 pm

I am a reseller, but the key to it you have to wait about 2 years or more before they will make you money, Here are the sets I been buying when someone has a sale.
If You can Pick up The Pirates Queens Revenge, Black Pearl, Imperial Shuttle 10212, The Queens Revenge will be a $250 and up set next, the Black Pearl not far behind, and the Imperial Shuttle for $209 is a steal and a good money maker in about 2 years, Here is what I have now. Ed
1- 72 Clone Turbo Tanks 8098
2- 62 Falcons
3-54 Black Pearl
4- 33 Queens Revenge
5- 24 8129 AT AT
6-15 10198
7- 10 Dropships
8-20 Harry Potter Castle's
9- 28 Harry Potter 10217 Alley
10-31Ninjango 2507 Temple
11- 11 Ninjango Dragon Battle
12- 35 Batman Funhouse
13- 13 Lord Of The Rings Helm's Castle
14- 16 Vampire's Castle
15- 12 6860 Batcave
16- 5 Dino
17-35 Jabba's palace
18- 10 Troll Fortress
19- 12 7754 sets, "Which is the only one I think that will always stay cheap
20- 23 Death Stars 10188
21- 5 Super Star Destroyer
22- 14 Fire Bridgade

The Big Money makers will be The Haunted House and the new Batman Ayslum, these sets should be $400 and up a year or two after discontinued

thehotsung
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by thehotsung » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:55 pm

emazers wrote:I am a reseller, but the key to it you have to wait about 2 years or more before they will make you money, Here are the sets I been buying when someone has a sale.
If You can Pick up The Pirates Queens Revenge, Black Pearl, Imperial Shuttle 10212, The Queens Revenge will be a $250 and up set next, the Black Pearl not far behind, and the Imperial Shuttle for $209 is a steal and a good money maker in about 2 years, Here is what I have now. Ed
1- 72 Clone Turbo Tanks 8098
2- 62 Falcons
3-54 Black Pearl
4- 33 Queens Revenge
5- 24 8129 AT AT
6-15 10198
7- 10 Dropships
8-20 Harry Potter Castle's
9- 28 Harry Potter 10217 Alley
10-31Ninjango 2507 Temple
11- 11 Ninjango Dragon Battle
12- 35 Batman Funhouse
13- 13 Lord Of The Rings Helm's Castle
14- 16 Vampire's Castle
15- 12 6860 Batcave
16- 5 Dino
17-35 Jabba's palace
18- 10 Troll Fortress
19- 12 7754 sets, "Which is the only one I think that will always stay cheap
20- 23 Death Stars 10188
21- 5 Super Star Destroyer
22- 14 Fire Bridgade

The Big Money makers will be The Haunted House and the new Batman Ayslum, these sets should be $400 and up a year or two after discontinued
Do people even buy at those prices?

SpaceViking
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by SpaceViking » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:58 pm

thehotsung wrote: ... Do people even buy at those prices?
Yes. Some people do.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?S=10189-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?S=10181-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And, these links are just showing bricklink prices, where savvy LEGO-aholics shop. ebay and other marketplaces like amazon.com and bn.com are even higher.

crazybirdman
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by crazybirdman » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:08 am

exactly, if you have the space, and can afford to sit on the inventory for a while, then most large sets (especially licensed ones) are gonna be worth it.