NFL MLB Minifigures OYO Sportstoys

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
sweener
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

NFL MLB Minifigures OYO Sportstoys

Post by sweener » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:20 pm

OYO Sportstoys are minifigures designed to resemble MLB and NFL players, and are new to the roster of officially licensed MLB and NFL products in 2012.

Link: http://www.oyosportstoys.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting, but at $12.99 the seem a bit much compared to LEGO and what you get in each set. Remember the NBA Collectors series LEGO did? 3 minifigures for $8 back in 2003. OYO minifigures seem to be advertised more as collectibles and not play toys.

Just curious if anyone has seen these or can comment on them as far as quality goes? Any thoughts?

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Re: NFL MLB Minifigures OYO Sportstoys

Post by ncbarrett » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:23 pm

saw the MLB ones at a sports store, looked ok, but overpriced
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

Eek
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Eek » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:02 pm

From the online pics, they don't look enough like the players to make me want to buy them. Lincecum needs his long hair. And Sandoval looks off :???:

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:22 pm

They're so expensive, but I have no interest in the MLB or NFL. I hope they would get an NHL license.

ezra
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by ezra » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:39 pm

I've seen these in person. ohgawd. they're ugly.

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lego the hutt » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:44 am

If you go on youtube, Jay from the brickshow did a video on oyo sports figs. I think it was all SF Giants. It was right around world series time.

I'm a sports fan so I tend to like them. They are compatible with lego. The legs/arm joints bend for action poses. (brick filmers could probably make good use of these) You can get most big name players...a few guys per team at least in most cases. They also have some Hall of Famers and All star team figs.

They are definitely targeted for adults as collectors items and not kids toys. Every figure is individually numbered which I guess could increase their value based on earlier runs and exactly what numbered fig you have.

They come with nice accessories. The MLB players come with a bat/ball/glove and homeplate.

The hand can actually grip the ball...and the ball can actually fit in the glove...

They are a little pricey at 12.99 per fig..but that does come with all the accessories, and like anything else you can find them cheaper on sale. They are sold at Di(ks sporting goods...Ive seen them cheaper on ebay etc.

They have noses which some people take as a negative...I tend to think it's a positive.

They don't have hair, which in some cases, like Tim Linsecum which was stated in an above post, kind of sucks. But I can understand that they all wear hats anyway..baseball and football players, so it usually isn't an issue. The facial hair is individualized based on the player. If they have a beard in real life the fig will have a beard...same with a goatee or clean shaven etc...

Eek
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Eek » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:07 pm

Timmy got a haircut, so his fig matches now. =)

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lego the hutt » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:30 pm

I recently got an Antonio gates fig. The nfl players come with a football and water bottle and a green fig baseplate stand.

Just from feel I don't think the plastic seems as high quality as lego but that might be partially because there are so many more points of articulation. Ankles, knees, wrist, elbow, neck all are posable. These are made for adult collectors so I'm not concerned if the plastic is slightly more brittle. They are just for display.

I wish the teams I like weren't so bad. Maybe then they would make more figs based on their players...and there would be more players I actually want to collect.

Wheeefun
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Wheeefun » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:13 am

Got a couple of my favorite players, these figures are pretty neat but definitely overpriced.

The arms are longer than traditional LEGO with the hand and the bent-elbow forearm are two separate pieces, one of my figs has a considerably loose left hand right out of the package so I'm not too impressed with quality consistency.

Also, the rears of the figs do have peg holes but they are spaced too far apart to fit normal LEGO pegs, so you can pose these figs standing up or "running", but you WILL NOT be able to pose them in a seated position because they simply will not fit the pegs. Additionally, due to the poseability design of the legs, the lower peg holes found on normal LEGO figs are not present on the OYO figs.

The football helmets are the neatest accessory in my opinion, but the print quality is again inconsistent. The football can be held like the baseball, but neither the football or baseball have any laces/details on them. The baseball bat is neat and can be held with both hands thanks to the angled design of the arms

Definitely collectibles more than toys, I would not expect these to last long in the hands of your average child. It will be cool to have my LEGO football team go up against some real pros! :lol:

And lastly, I did notice while the torso designs are pretty accurately detailed, I've noticed more than one set of legs do not match the game pants worn by a few real NFL teams so if you're really a stickler for details that might be less desirable for some.

skeet318
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by skeet318 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:26 am

Thanks for the thread. Found Cam Newton on eBay. They got college ones , too, but the team selection sucks. Go Tarheels!!!

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lego the hutt » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:03 pm

Not only do they have college football and minor league baseball...they now have baseball mascots. They look pretty neat though I was very disappointed they didn't have the famous San Diego Chicken. He is probably the only mascot I would be interested in.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:09 am

saw some of these at Meijer in xmas section.
Detroit Tigers - Verlander, Fielder, Cabrara
Detroit Lions - Stafford
MSU Spartan football guy.
$10 a piece
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!