Why no LEGO city zoo ?

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
mvas11
Peasant
Peasant

Why no LEGO city zoo ?

Post by mvas11 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:03 am

Okay, so I've been looking through older sets on brickset.com and I started thinking ,"Why is there no Lego city zoo?" It seems like a good fit for both boys and girls, fits the city theme age bracket, and it has a ton of possibilities to expand on. Any thoughts why they've never tried this outside of the duplo size?

crazybirdman
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: Why no LEGO city zoo ?

Post by crazybirdman » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:43 am

PETA would complain about the enclosures being too small

cupishalfempty
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by cupishalfempty » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:31 pm

crazybirdman wrote:PETA would complain about the enclosures being too small
Lol

SpaceNinjaDino
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by SpaceNinjaDino » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:49 pm

I've been saying the same thing for years. LEGO Zoo (non-DUPLO) would be an amazing series!
I also want LEGO Amusement Park theme. They need some new elements to get a rollercoaster right.
Then at the same time, they are missing a suburbian theme with a Target like store and used car dealership. Bring back baseplates to sets and make some parking spaces.

ezra
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by ezra » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:39 am

I would buy multiple panda sets.

mvas11
Peasant
Peasant

Post by mvas11 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:04 am

I agree that an amusement park/county fair would be great. Give me some mini-carnies!!!

ninjagoyo
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by ninjagoyo » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:31 pm

mvas11 wrote:I agree that an amusement park/county fair would be great. Give me some mini-carnies!!!
I'm not sure I want minifigs with small hands... that smell like cabbage...

mvas11
Peasant
Peasant

Post by mvas11 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:51 am

lol I never noticed the small hands but I've been downwind of that cabbage smell

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:16 am

I think a zoo would be cost prohibitive, the size of the set (or sets) would require a lot of bricks, plus a lot of new animal molds (which are expensive to make). I don't know, but that's my guess.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

NIGELTTF
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by NIGELTTF » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:54 am

hatcher wrote:I think a zoo would be cost prohibitive, the size of the set (or sets) would require a lot of bricks, plus a lot of new animal molds (which are expensive to make). I don't know, but that's my guess.
I think it is the animal molds, but we do have bear, wolf, snake, owl, and ostrich now. Penguins can be brick built. Add a lion and tiger and that is enough for a zoo. I would be rinky dink, but could be achieved reasonably at the $100.00/ 1100 piece point.

jasake
Peasant
Peasant

Post by jasake » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:22 am

i would like to see a lego park/playground. that seems like it would fit into a city, or a school. I mean with everyone in lego city becoming a policeman or fireman i think a lego school would help expand the mind of those minifigs so they can branch out into different career options

SpaceNinjaDino
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by SpaceNinjaDino » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:31 pm

Please make the penguins molds. Remember when chickens were brick built? It was so much better when they released chicken pieces, IMHO.

Also I think this would be an entire (sub)theme so the cost would be okay since they would have like 5+ sets. Pengiuns + seal lions + polar bears on ice
Elephants and giraffe with trees and water hole
Lions + tigers + meerkats in the weedy plains and rocks
Monkeys + birds in trees
Turtles and allegators in the swamp

As far as the actual zoo, LEGO should not focus on the enclosure. It should be the environment recreation within the enclosure. Although now that I'm thinking about it, a "Wildlife" theme would even be better and people would be able to make zoos from that. They could still include minifigs for photograph safaris. They could license it with Disneynature and tie it to Planet Earth if they need the Disney name behind it.

iccarus
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by iccarus » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:29 pm

I like the idea of a safari/wilderness expedition theme as well. It would be a much easier way to do animals that way, considering you would have to devote so many bricks to the enclosures for a zoo.
Check out my blog - Buried in Bricks

Rook
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Rook » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:04 pm

Yeah I've been barking up this tree with Lego for almost a decade now. They finally started making new animals and they did the zoo theme with Duplo, but still no City Zoo. I told them they could even follow up with a Safari Theme and use the same molds.

tsetsetse89
Citizen
Citizen

Post by tsetsetse89 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:45 pm

hatcher wrote:I think a zoo would be cost prohibitive, the size of the set (or sets) would require a lot of bricks, plus a lot of new animal molds (which are expensive to make). I don't know, but that's my guess.
I agree, designing new animal molds can be expensive. If there's gonna be a zoo, it's gotta have the iconic animals like lions, tigers, giraffes, elephants, and hippos! I imagine an elephant minifigure would probably be as big as the Hulk minifigure.

Nonetheless, a City zoo set would be nice to see and I'm sure this would be incredibly popular for kids and adults alike. Maybe Lego set designers come onto these forums to brainstorm new ideas haha, let's hope they see this!

unclephn
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by unclephn » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:58 pm

New animal molds might be expensive, but I bet they'd be a better long term investment for LEGO compared to dinosaur molds!

Dneul
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Dneul » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:26 pm

There has already been an elephant in prior sets.

Elephant In 7418
Ostrich in 7570
Snakes in many sets
Monkey in series 5 and 7 minifigs
Polar bear in 6520, 6575, 6586
Brown bear in 4438, 4440
Tiger 7411
Crocodile In 20 plus sets
Horses could easily become zebras
A turtle could be done with the snail
There are dolphins, whales, and sharks as well
There are loads of birds already...

I don't think that it is a matter of animals.

Dneul
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Dneul » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:27 pm

I also think that Lego thinks that it would be a fail. I would think that while "we" want it, it would ultimately go the way the farm did. I would love to have a non conflict set.

legogod
Knight
Knight

Post by legogod » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:11 am

Rook wrote:I told them they could even follow up with a Safari Theme and use the same molds.
The openness of the theme also extends to the circus. With the two circus clowns in the collectible series as well as a ringmaster- it might be on a back burner somewhere. Look at the monsters in the minifigure series. Not long after the werewolf, dracula and witch were made Monster Fighters came out. I know it's just speculation on my part but TLG has themes and sets planned out well in advance. Maybe what we're seeing in the mystery packages is a glimpse at the future.

The Joust set has a small tent with an alternating red/white pattern. Just blow that up 10 times and you've got a big top.

I really like the idea of a Zoo. The sets could be broken down any number of ways to afford rarity/special pieces room to breathe. I bought the new Robber's Hideout for the bear-why wouldn't others do the same with the zoo?

Well, we''ll see where it goes...

Jared

NIGELTTF
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by NIGELTTF » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:53 am

Dneul wrote:There has already been an elephant in prior sets.

Tiger 7411
Ehh,not really. Just a Lion and a Tiger would be enough though. Heck you could do just different head molds and one great cat body to cover Lions, Tiger, Jaguar, and so forth.