Lego Price Guide?

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
Kodiak10
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Lego Price Guide?

Post by Kodiak10 » Mon May 28, 2012 8:13 pm

Does anyone manufacture a Lego Price Guide? For example New vs 100% Complete? If they don't, don't you think its about time they do so?

nick91884
Knight
Knight

Re: Lego Price Guide?

Post by nick91884 » Mon May 28, 2012 8:43 pm

Its not really necessary with resources like bricklink. Prices change all the time and any price guide would be out of date almost as quickly as it was printed.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is it's difficult to determine if indeed they are true" -Abraham Lincoln

countryboy
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by countryboy » Tue May 29, 2012 3:30 am

BL is your price guide...

Kodiak10
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Kodiak10 » Tue May 29, 2012 7:06 pm

nick91884 wrote:Its not really necessary with resources like bricklink. Prices change all the time and any price guide would be out of date almost as quickly as it was printed.

I hear what your saying, but I'm not nuying in. lol. Thats the point of a priceguide, prices change all the time. IMO there's more to Lego's than just building, there collectible. How bout the 7 series of Minifigures.. so far. How about the 1000's and 1000's of Minifigures and Sets. Maybe I'm out thinking the room here, but they have priceguides for almost everything. Sports Cards, Non Sports Cards, Hot Wheels, all types of figurines, Coins, Stamps, Video Games, Pinballs, Memoribilia, Guns, Knives, Antiques etc...

Why spend countless hours with trying to see what sets are worth by the hour, when you could have a general priceguide. Heck even seeing the a Picture of the Sets/Minifigures would be nice :up:

Lego's are worldwide, just like all of the above. Maybe its just me :crazy:

legogod
Knight
Knight

Post by legogod » Tue May 29, 2012 11:20 pm

I like your idea because I am of the mind I would like to hold something concrete. There has been one attempt at a partial Lego price guide in the Beckett Build magazine. They listed popular sets like Batman, Indiana Jones, and Star Wars. The prices seemed a bit high to me, but it was a first attempt and I haven't seen the magazine published since.

Minifigs seem to be getting some love. The Unofficial LEGO Minifigure Catalog by Christoph Bartneck lists every minifig made from the 1970s to 2010 with pictures. A little hefty on the price (89.00 for a paperback, cheaper at amazon) it would be a guide to help you pair the right fig back with the right set. Angelo states on the Amazon website: It is not clear why the prices are pushed "new" and "used" and based on that assessment have been incorporated. There seems to be some pricing going on in the book-for 3600 minifigs that's no small feat.

Maybe there will be a price guide on the horizon...

But Bricklink works really well for now. If you know what you're looking for the website has a wealth of information for you. There's even a price guide for the last year with maximums and minimums sold and what's just sitting with an outrageous price. Perhaps you could print out the set/piece price averages and make your own book.

Have fun.
Jared

Edmond Dantes
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by Edmond Dantes » Wed May 30, 2012 7:45 am

Kodiak10 wrote:
nick91884 wrote:Its not really necessary with resources like bricklink. Prices change all the time and any price guide would be out of date almost as quickly as it was printed.

I hear what your saying, but I'm not nuying in. lol. Thats the point of a priceguide, prices change all the time. IMO there's more to Lego's than just building, there collectible. How bout the 7 series of Minifigures.. so far. How about the 1000's and 1000's of Minifigures and Sets. Maybe I'm out thinking the room here, but they have priceguides for almost everything. Sports Cards, Non Sports Cards, Hot Wheels, all types of figurines, Coins, Stamps, Video Games, Pinballs, Memoribilia, Guns, Knives, Antiques etc...

Why spend countless hours with trying to see what sets are worth by the hour, when you could have a general priceguide. Heck even seeing the a Picture of the Sets/Minifigures would be nice :up:

Lego's are worldwide, just like all of the above. Maybe its just me :crazy:
Um, this is exactly what people are saying. There is a general priceguide option on Bricklink.

For example, the most popular Series 2 collectible fig: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?S=col02-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Everything is SO easy to find - the information can be gleaned instantly, rather than monthly/yearly, etc.

Kodiak10
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Kodiak10 » Wed May 30, 2012 8:09 pm

I guess lol. Sorry I would buy anything from outside the USA, so this doesn't do much good. To much info for me. I just wanna know and to be able to look up a Minifigure from the 1990's. Not my cup of tea I guess. However if I'm looking for parts, this is the place to go!!

GuaranteedUnity
Knight
Knight

Post by GuaranteedUnity » Wed May 30, 2012 9:23 pm

Kodiak10 wrote:Sorry I would buy anything from outside the USA, so this doesn't do much good.
BrickLink allows you to filter by seller's country.
To much info for me. I just wanna know and to be able to look up a Minifigure from the 1990's. Not my cup of tea I guess. However if I'm looking for parts, this is the place to go!!
Yes, there's a lot of info, but it only takes a few clicks to get to what you want...
If you still think that's too overwhelming, well, let's just say this phrase comes to mind...

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

jeremyp4
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by jeremyp4 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:01 pm

countryboy wrote:BL is your price guide...
Exactly!

dehnehsu
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by dehnehsu » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:32 pm

I agree Bricklink is a good guide, and so is ebay. Just click on completed listings to see what prices the auctions ended at. I use it to give me an idea of what a kit or minifig is going for. (What people are actually paying)

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:55 pm

IMO, definitely not eBay. Bricklink is the best out there just for LEGO. eBay prices are wayyyy... too high. People mark it up just because they think LEGO is a great way to earn some cash. Sometimes, Brickink prices are half of the ones on eBay.

dehnehsu
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by dehnehsu » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:08 am

Legobrandon wrote:IMO, definitely not eBay. Bricklink is the best out there just for LEGO. eBay prices are wayyyy... too high. People mark it up just because they think LEGO is a great way to earn some cash. Sometimes, Brickink prices are half of the ones on eBay.
I was refering to the Completed Items on ebay. The prices are what people have paid (and are willing to pay for an item) You can see that the way overpriced items get no bids. Well most of the time, some people do pay way too much!

When on ebay click on "advanced" next to the "Search" icon, enter the item you want to search for, then click the "Completed Items" option then click search. As an example I entered "Lego 5512" The Walmart XXL 1600 piece set and with shipping, people are paying $71 to $80 in the U.S. on the low end. So without shipping, it looks like $60 is the current value.

Kodiak10
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Kodiak10 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:22 pm

FYI. Brink link is for other Lego enthusiasts, therefore prices will be on the low end. eBay is the only true market for price value. A grandma who is buying a Lego Ninjago set for her grandson doesn't know what brick link is let alone buy something from there.