NorCal LEGO dealer arrested in alleged scam

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
zak001
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

NorCal LEGO dealer arrested in alleged scam

Post by zak001 » Mon May 21, 2012 7:39 pm

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/VP ... 75.html?dr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
An executive at a Palo Alto software giant was charged Monday with four felony counts of burglary, after authorities said he allegedly made his own bar code stickers, switched the tags, and then bought boxes of LEGOs at Target stores for huge discounts.
(as seen on BrickLink.)

SpaceViking
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: NorCal LEGO dealer arrested in alleged scam

Post by SpaceViking » Mon May 21, 2012 7:52 pm

What an idiot.

If crooks were smart, they wouldnt be crooks.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Mon May 21, 2012 11:26 pm

Terrible. LEGO sets are expensive enough without people stealing them and driving up prices to cope.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

Zeya
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by Zeya » Tue May 22, 2012 10:46 am

This guy is right in my area. One of the stores he was stealing from is a store I regularly shop at. It's sad that this type of thing is far too common. It's so bizarre that it's a rich guy though. Hopefully he'll knock it off after all this.

dehnehsu
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by dehnehsu » Tue May 22, 2012 8:46 pm

Zeya wrote:This guy is right in my area. One of the stores he was stealing from is a store I regularly shop at.
Same here, The Mt. View store is our regular stop. I'm pretty sure he's hit the Walmart across the street as well. Maybe he's the guy who snagged the 2 Pirate's Black Pearls which I kept scanning, waiting for the prices to drop. Heck, if he only did it at Walmarts, with their horrible Security, he'd still be doing it. Sounds like once Target sensed some wrong doing they kept watch on the high priced LEGO inventory. Glad he got caught!

SpaceViking
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by SpaceViking » Wed May 23, 2012 8:11 pm

Here's a followup news story r.e. the latest bar-code switching bandit: http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_ ... =inthenews" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From the prosecuting DA:
"Money might have been a part of what brought him pleasure, but I think all indications are there's something way more complex here," ... "There had to be something else. Beating the system? An element of compulsion?"
I tend to agree. The article values his humble abode at $2 million. Money trouble may have been motive, but its more likely he saw himself as a smart and clever guy that wouldn't get caught. I suspect also that jail may be the least of his troubles. If convicted, he'll likely have trouble finding work in the high tech field again, at least at the VP level.

Another funny point from the article:
Investigators counted "hundreds of unopened boxes of Legos," said Hendrickson, including 46 boxes of the "Magma Monster" set, and 35 boxes each of "A Frog Rush" and "Pharaoh's Quest" Lego sets.
I guess AFOL's would be the only ones to think that's not an excessive amount of Magma Monster games. That game is a great parts pack for MOCs. ;-)

And, from a different article:
Allegedly, Langenbach bought a $279 box of Millenium Falcon box of LEGOS for just $49,
This is a classic example of reporters not doing their homework. What MF set does Target sell for $280 these days? It's mistakes like these that lead me to distrust reporters. If they cant get stuff like this right, which would take a 60 sec google search to confirm, what do they get right? (re-reading my post, should I trust the $2mil number above?)

On the plus side, forum members in Mt View may have an easier time finding good deals at Target during the next round of clearance sales.

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Wed May 23, 2012 8:15 pm

^ Thanks for the link. Hey, who knows? He could be a member of TNB looking for good deals at Walmart or Target.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Wed May 23, 2012 8:56 pm

SpaceViking wrote:Another funny point from the article:
Investigators counted "hundreds of unopened boxes of Legos," said Hendrickson, including 46 boxes of the "Magma Monster" set, and 35 boxes each of "A Frog Rush" and "Pharaoh's Quest" Lego sets.
Well the Lego Store did sell Frog Rush fo $3.48 so it is possible he got them there and stocked up.
The guy is an idiot, he has a good job, makes good money and he gets caught...his family must be mortified!

natelite
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by natelite » Thu May 24, 2012 4:08 am

i totally missed out on frog rush then. i only manage to get some from wally for $5.50 ea.

1brickshyofcrazy
Knight
Knight

Post by 1brickshyofcrazy » Thu May 24, 2012 6:14 am

:down: What a douche bag - no sympathy here for this guy or anyone who does this kind of thing... :down:

zak001 wrote:
An executive at a Palo Alto software giant was charged Monday with four felony counts of burglary, after authorities said he allegedly made his own bar code stickers, switched the tags, and then bought boxes of LEGOs at Target stores for huge discounts.

Zeya
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by Zeya » Thu May 24, 2012 5:14 pm

Okay, wow. There's another guy who was doing the same scam in the same area. At first reading the article I was like "they have the guy's name and location wrong", but then halfway down they acknowledge that it's strikingly similar to the SAP guy but probably unrelated. How many people are doing this exact scam? Sheesh.

http://www.mercurynews.com/san-mateo-co ... -lego-scam" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ninjagoyo
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by ninjagoyo » Mon May 28, 2012 1:23 am

SpaceViking wrote:
Another funny point from the article:
I guess AFOL's would be the only ones to think that's not an excessive amount of Magma Monster games. That game is a great parts pack for MOCs. ;-)
Especially if you bought Magma Monster legit at 80% off, like I did!
He has only a few more than me, and I've been kicking myself ever since that I didn't buy twice as many!

SpaceNinjaDino
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by SpaceNinjaDino » Mon May 28, 2012 3:51 am

How naive. Target has been on the watch out for bar code fakers for a long time now regardless of product.
I saw one documentary where I think two guys had a good plan. First guy would sticker electric shavers. Then second guy would just pick them up at a later time (hour or so?). They thought if security watched just the guy buying it, there was nothing fishy and the first guy was just checking items out. (It could have been the same guy, it has been awhile.)