Storing Large LEGO Collections

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
brickcollectors
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Storing Large LEGO Collections

Post by brickcollectors » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:35 pm

I don't know if any of you are interested, but I have a blog and this week I'm sharing photos of the LEGO room used by me & my family. Every few days I'll post a few more pictures and details on how we store things. Part 1 is posted now @ The Brick Collectors.

If you have ideas to share, please do! I enjoy sorting LEGOs and organizing them more than a person reasonably should. ;-)

Here's one of the photos I have up:
DSC05490_2_2_2.JPG
If you would like more details, follow the link. We have a rather large LEGO collection and this was a rare opportunity to take pictures while the room was sort of neat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
View The Brick Collectors Magazine @ The Brick Collectors

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Re: Storing Large LEGO Collections

Post by atmail35 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:32 pm

Thanks for posting, I love seeing how other people store their LEGO! I'm looking forward to the next installment!

pumbaugh
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by pumbaugh » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:56 pm

I use many of the 7 drawer units you have pictured(4 shallow/3deep) Where did you find the black 10 drawer shallow unit right next to them?

blackpyre
Citizen
Citizen

Post by blackpyre » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:24 pm

Now that's an awesome basement!

My wife and I are planning to buy our first house and plan to have something along the same lines eventually. We're still in the everything mobile stage. Things are seperated into portable tubs and bags, but I want to have a perminent place like you have with the drawers.

We're also hoping to have one room devoted just to displaying models, but we're still in the process of figuring out finances.

Of course, plans will probably need to speed up since we're expecting our first LUGBulk order and I have no idea where that will fit.

Will

brickcollectors
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by brickcollectors » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:06 pm

pumbaugh wrote:I use many of the 7 drawer units you have pictured(4 shallow/3deep) Where did you find the black 10 drawer shallow unit right next to them?
Most of the tall ones were bought at Office Max (maybe 1 or 2 from BJ's Wholesale Club) back in the late 90s. I went online within the last 6 months to see if I could find more of them, and I wasn't successful. I did find a newer version of the mixed drawer-size ones, but honestly I don't like them as well as the older ones. The plastic isn't as nice, and the drawers have annoying tabs to keep them from "falling out". We like to be able to take the drawers out when we're building.

brickcollectors
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by brickcollectors » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:12 pm

blackpyre wrote:Now that's an awesome basement!

We're also hoping to have one room devoted just to displaying models, but we're still in the process of figuring out finances.

Will
Displaying models is really tough. It takes up a lot of room, and then there's the dust factor if you aren't good about regularly dusting them. If anyone has any tips on displays, I'd love to hear them.

A room just for displaying models sounds awesome. We've joked a few times that we should find a way to open up some sort of LEGO museum and that could be our place to store models. ;-)

Joelle

brickcollectors
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by brickcollectors » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:17 pm

I forgot to mention in my other reply that it's taken our LEGO room about 15 years to evolve to this state. We started using the drawer units early on, and in our first apartment we had amazing closet space - huge closets with sliding doors. The drawer units fit perfectly in there behind the doors, and we had enough other closet space to use for those annoying necessities like clothes that also need storage space. It was neat because the units were out of sight when they weren't in use, and it was the perfect solution for our tiny apartment.

blackpyre
Citizen
Citizen

Post by blackpyre » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:32 pm

I've talked with a friend about a display room. Depending on how things go we might try building enclosed cases for display.

It might be nixed simply because it will be impossible to use the room for anything else. Of course, that is assuming we can find a house with a seperate room that will work for that purpose.

;)

Will

jeffmace
I'm New !

Post by jeffmace » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:04 pm

I have to say, that is a room to be jealous of. Great Job!!

danutsta
Peasant
Peasant

Post by danutsta » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:33 pm

all i can say is WOW!

Aragorn
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Aragorn » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:36 am

Wonderful collection!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's the greatest room I've seen all LEGO!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Matt

iccarus
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by iccarus » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:58 pm

You have an awesome collection. I enjoyed the blog as well and have added it to my reading list. :up:

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Tue May 01, 2012 7:50 am

Is that two Death Stars I spy? Jeez! I'm trying to move away from the larger drawers and go into smaller compartments for better organization at the moment but I can't seem to find any places that have cheap screw/bolt drawers that I'm using for them.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

countryboy
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by countryboy » Tue May 01, 2012 9:43 am

legitimatealex wrote:Is that two Death Stars I spy? Jeez! I'm trying to move away from the larger drawers and go into smaller compartments for better organization at the moment but I can't seem to find any places that have cheap screw/bolt drawers that I'm using for them.

I am in the EXACT same boat as you. Ironically enough, i stumbled upon a link last night and am actually going to look into it. It uses lintel trim as the primary materials for separators/lining up the compartments..

I will update this with the link when i get home this evening... In reading last night, it looked to be quite cost effective!!