Battery Life for Batteries Boxes

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
calvinwashere2
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Battery Life for Batteries Boxes

Post by calvinwashere2 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:01 am

HI,

Does anyone know the difference in battery life between a -

1) 8881-1: Battery Box (w/ 6 AA batteries loaded)

vs.

2) 8878-1: Rechargeable Battery Box

Really want to know how long the Rechargeable Battery will last when put on a Emerald Night train set. Will it be a big difference or is it about the same and more about the convenience of not having to replace batteries? What's been your experience?

Thanks,
-CWH2

Moolkye
I'm New !

Re: Battery Life for Batteries Boxes

Post by Moolkye » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:29 am

Well I don't have experience with the Lego Trains sets (wish I did) but that's neither here nor there. But I do have experience in batteries. Rechargeable is great as long as you let them run dry and recharge them. Which can be a pain sometimes, because you can forget how long you ran something before you start recharging it.

Rechargeable batteries will typically last a shorter amount of time compared to the same in regular disposable batteries. However, the difference lies in the recharging. Look at it like this, where you might get 4 hours time our of a regular battery, you'll typically get 1/3 of that time on a rechargeable. Then you'd have to factor in the time it costs to recharge as it does to just replace. Also factor in cost of the disposable batteries compared to a second set of rechargeable batteries. that way you can just swap one rechargeable for the other, and charge while the other is working (for continued use of course)

That's how I see it. Hope those thoughts help ya out.

calvinwashere2
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by calvinwashere2 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:10 pm

In general I agree with what you stated, but I did a little more research into this and here's some information that might be useful for others.

Apparently, the rechargeable battery will last over 2 hours on an Emerald Night set based on the reviews I read on S@H. And it takes about 3 hours for a full recharge (4 hours the first time you use it, based on the instructions I received for the battery yesterday).

As compared to the battery box that's not rechargeable, I can tell you that on Emerald Night, it only lasted just under an hour. I think the difference is that the rechargeable batteries are lithium-ion and are much lighter than the battery box filled with 6 batteries.

I'll be able to verify the reviews above later and can confirm these times if anyone is interested.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:53 am

My experience in batteries, is rechargables are usually not the way to go.
Not sure about the battery box lego makes.

However if you want to use disposable batteries Energizer Lithium are the best ones out there for high drain devices.

http://www.energizer.com/products/hight ... eries.aspx
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

locutis
Citizen
Citizen

Post by locutis » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:42 am

I know this is an older thread, but I need to know whether it's normal for the first charge to take more than 12 hours for the rechargeable battery box.

I bought one new from S@H, and plugged it in last night. This morning it is still flashing like it's charging, and it's been more than 12 hours! Is this normal for the first charge? Should I not believe that it's charged and unplug and use it to see? I'm worried because the instructions indicated that the first charge is the most important.

I'll leave it plugged in until I hear from someone here, or I'll report back if it stops flashing.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
All your Lego will be assimilated with mine. Resistance is futile.