Shipping advice...

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
agrahmann
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Shipping advice...

Post by agrahmann » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:18 pm

I'm selling a bunch of polybags that I've picked up along the way on EBAY and I'm trying to figure out the cheapest, yet still legit way to ship them, and what shipping price I should declare. For a $2-3 sale, it's hard to imagine bubble envelopes or boxes. Anyone have any idea what it might cost to ship a polybag across the country and what good, cheap packing materials and methods would be?

PTSandman
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Re: Shipping advice...

Post by PTSandman » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:26 pm

You can get a 10 pack of bubble mailers big enough to fit polybags for around $7 at wal-mart.
Shipping first class is probably going to be $2-3 on top of that.

Save yourself some money by printing your postage out online through the USPS website and get free delivery confirmation.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:23 pm

You can also print your labels through Paypal and get free delivery confirmation for priority mail or it is 19 cents for first class. If you get it from the PO confirmation costs about 80 cents.

I've also found bubble mailers on sale at Walgreens for 3 for $1 on occasion.

For a polybag, the bubble mailer will be cheaper than a box.

If you sell a bunch to one person you can use the small Flat Rate priority box, but that runs about $5?

nparker99
I'm New !

Post by nparker99 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:33 pm

I guess it depends on how many you're trying to get rid of. If it's in the 100+ arena then getting bubble mailers on Ebay is an option (I get mine for about 8 cents ea shipped). Shipping is usually $1.64 for up to 3 oz via paypal - so if you charged $2 for shipping it would be enough to cover actual costs of shipping and the envelope with a little wiggle room.

tong
Peasant
Peasant

Post by tong » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:01 pm

Does any one have any suggestions on the cheapest way to ship outside of the United States that is trackable?

By trackable I mean you have proof you shipped it so the person cannot scam you.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Catch me weekly on Beyond the Brick podcast at Brickpodcast.com

pumbaugh
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by pumbaugh » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:24 am

You can get a Certificate of Mailing for about $1.25 at the post office, but I do not think this covers you in a paypal dispute(could be wrong never had to engage in one, it is only proof you mailed something to the addy, no tracking) or there is registered mail for about $11.50(USPS has told me this service is very slow as it gets checked and signed for everytime it changes hands). Personally I think your best bet is to insure the parcel through a third party since you cannot get insurance on USPS first class international. I guess you are selling on bricklink? Big sellers have often referred me to shipsurance.com, but I have yet to take any action.

ricefields
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by ricefields » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:55 pm

The cheapest trackable way to ship from US to canada at least is usps priority flat rate envelope. Alot of sellers don't know this exist but I am from canada and often have to educate US sellers (especially on ebay), especially when some sellers automatically price shipping based on a box to ship a polybag or minifig when this option is available.

Just check usps.com for current rates to the countries you are checking out.

Unfortunately the cheapest way is not relatively cheap compared to first class international. Its $12.95 to canada. It used to be $9 a couple years back. Paying $13 is better than paying $20-25 for the same priority, trackability for a box! I used this method to ship several chrome c3po from US to canada. Although I always prefer using first class international which would cost $2, paying the $9 put me in a better piece of mind that it was tracked.

As you probably know first class international has no delivery confirmation or tracking that is valid from paypal's perspective. But I would not recommend priority flat rate envelope unless its a high value item. If you are shipping a $5 minifig/polybag then its not worth it, probably not even for $10. I would chance it with first class international until the polybag or minifig value reaches over $25, but that's just me.

pumbaugh
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by pumbaugh » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:33 pm

"Includes delivery status information with our Track & Confirm tool**

** Not available for Priority Mail International Flat Rate Envelopes or Small Flat Rate Priced Boxes."

Not sure where you got info that they are trackable. That is from the USPS website for flat rate international. You can punch any customs form number into the tool and it will tell you the last place the USPS scanned it...but is not considered trackable, even my first class international customs number will show what sorting facility they are going through, but again in no way considered trackable.