Buy the set or buy the minifigure?

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
sadowsk1
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Buy the set or buy the minifigure?

Post by sadowsk1 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:32 am

I collect the Star Wars line primarily but I'm sure this applies to other licensed themes too. What makes more sense to people, buy the set for figures or buying the minifigures they want straight up? I saw the new Y wing posted and there are two figures I like including the new gold leader and astromech droid. I already have one Y wing and don't know what Lego will charge for the set, but is it a better bet to just buy the figures I want? The problem with this is on the secondary market the figures seem over inflated in price. Any thoughts or insights would be helpful!

natelite
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: Buy the set or buy the minifigure?

Post by natelite » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:51 am

it's a question of effort and cost. are you prepared to spend the effort or spend the money. if you have more money than sense, then by all means buy the figure outright from BL. if you have less money and more sense, then wait for a sale, buy set at 25% discount, get the minifigs you need and sell the rest on BL or ebay to recover cost. in most cases, the latter route will yield cheaper minifigs for you. the only question is how much effort are you willing to put in for $10 savings (or even lower than that)?

i kinda doubt you'll be able to get the mf for free in doing so since it's usually the opposite that's true. because of the value of the sw mfs, people usually do the exact opposite, i.e. sell sw mf for a huge sum, and collect the parts for free. but even then it requires quite a bit of effort.

you need to move fast since the mfs go for the most during the first availability and then die off quickly in an exponential fashion. so this means you need to scout tru constantly for the set (time and gas money) and get it b4 others do. then quickly list the mf for sale and in the most visible fashion (i.e. ebay and paying for more pics and better ebay slots). once you've sold the mf, the hardest part is mostly over. the only thing remaining is to keep tab of your receipt and wait for a sale. purchase the set again during the sale and return the set using the older receipt.

as you can see, it takes substantial effort. but the reward is that you may get the parts for free and maybe even profit from it.

to sell the set sans the mfs though is less time dependent since no one rushes out to get the set first without any mfs. so it takes patience to keep listing the set again and again and again until you get a nibble from a buyer. if plenty of people are doing the same thing (i.e. buying the set and selling sans mf), then expect to be extra lucky or you may need to undercut the competition to sell it. definitely hard to do in either case.

it is much easier to just buy the mf. you might even snipe a good deal from a price mistake or something. :-P

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:37 am

i actually buy the SW sets for parts, not mf.
If I know up front what someone would trade for/buy them, it encourages me to buy the set when I can get a good deal.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

koromo
Knight
Knight

Post by koromo » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:39 pm

ncbarrett wrote:i actually buy the SW sets for parts, not mf.
If I know up front what someone would trade for/buy them, it encourages me to buy the set when I can get a good deal.
I have a similiar stance. Case in point I had little interest in Cad Bane's Speeder in itself, I already had Cad from the Tank set. I was able to convert him from the larger set plus a few other things in a trade to off set a complete speeder set. So no redundant figures(well except for the assassin droid, *sigh*) and the speeder didn't cost me full freight.

When it comes to flat-out re-releases I am not moved. the 07 version of the Naboo fighter and Sith Infiltrator are good enough for me an the only versions I ever had. The new fighter is no different and the infiltrator is rather expensive. Though the figures are novel enough that people are attaching a premium, some so high you'd be better off in purchasing the set and get the ship for "free" :lol: Though the naboo set from this year is getting a pass-even on sale.

Outside from SW I have been finding loose IJ figures at clear out prices on BL and usually browse around for other character figures to add to my cabinet, found an excellent condition Johnny Thunder for little over $1USD.
Lego Fan based in Seacoast Area of New Hampshire.

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:49 pm

I recently bought a SW set for a minifig. The set came with 4. The fig was selling for around $20 on Bricklink. The set itself was $56. I figure I can trade or sell the other 3 figs at some point and use the parts for MOCs.

legogod
Knight
Knight

Post by legogod » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:10 pm

With the recent lot I just purchased I've noticed one thing-SW sets have unique parts in unique colors which opens doors to fun creations. I haven't purposefully bought a SW set in years and I must admit I've missed out on some nice pieces. That said-I'm one of those people who buys a set for the whole thing. I enjoy the minifig AND the set. If I traded something away, it would have to be the entire set-or I'd probably forget and search forever for that piece or minifig I am missing. I have an awful memory.

When I bought some minifigs on bricklink- I pieced them together from many different sellers. If you're buying a large quantity of brick or need to reach a store minimum, a minifig part is the way to go. I play with mine so I look for used but in good condition. Some look like they came right out of the package. So...buy the whole set and keep everything. :P

Jared

sadowsk1
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by sadowsk1 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:49 am

dr_spock wrote:I recently bought a SW set for a minifig. The set came with 4. The fig was selling for around $20 on Bricklink. The set itself was $56. I figure I can trade or sell the other 3 figs at some point and use the parts for MOCs.
What set was that? If you don't mind me asking.

Tomatoe
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Tomatoe » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:38 pm

The sets can only sell with the figures these days. No one like those ugly clone wars ships. What I do is buy the set, keep the figures and sell the set. A typical exception would be something like Ewok Attack. The tree is nice and fits nicely with Battle of Endor. Other stuff like Nightspeeder? meh.

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:16 pm

Tomatoe wrote:The sets can only sell with the figures these days. No one like those ugly clone wars ships. What I do is buy the set, keep the figures and sell the set. A typical exception would be something like Ewok Attack. The tree is nice and fits nicely with Battle of Endor. Other stuff like Nightspeeder? meh.
How would you keep the figures and sell the set, if your first statement "The sets can only sell with the figures these days" comes ture? Weren't you against yourself, were you? ;-)

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:18 pm

sadowsk1 wrote:
dr_spock wrote:I recently bought a SW set for a minifig. The set came with 4. The fig was selling for around $20 on Bricklink. The set itself was $56. I figure I can trade or sell the other 3 figs at some point and use the parts for MOCs.
I am guessing it may be the set 7961 Darth Maul's Sith Infiltrator. I had the same issue, too. Wanna keep all minifigs but don't need the infiltrator.

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:26 pm

koromo wrote:When it comes to flat-out re-releases I am not moved. the 07 version of the Naboo fighter and Sith Infiltrator are good enough for me an the only versions I ever had. The new fighter is no different and the infiltrator is rather expensive. Though the figures are novel enough that people are attaching a premium, some so high you'd be better off in purchasing the set and get the ship for "free" :lol: Though the naboo set from this year is getting a pass-even on sale.
It is nice of you that you could hold off from not getting the new minifigures from re-release set.

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:47 pm

legohunter wrote:
sadowsk1 wrote:
I am guessing it may be the set 7961 Darth Maul's Sith Infiltrator. I had the same issue, too. Wanna keep all minifigs but don't need the infiltrator.
Your guess is correct. My wife wanted the Darth Maul minifig. The Force must be strong in you. :)

anthonyj8
Knight
Knight

Post by anthonyj8 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:20 pm

I think that if you only want the minifigs, you should keep your eyes on Ebay for them, especially if the figs alone cost less than the set itself. I did this for the sets that Cad Bane was in. Since the sets that included him were $50 and $109, it was much cheeper for me to just buy Bane alone, since he's the fig I wanted. I bought him for only $10 on Ebay, and I was completely satisfied. However, if the actual build in the set is amazing, I'd recommend buying the whole set. In the end, it's your decision.