LEGO Digital to Physical Gaming Experience

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
Toys N Bricks
Administrator
Administrator

LEGO Digital to Physical Gaming Experience

Post by Toys N Bricks » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:57 pm

agrahmann contacts us with news of the new LEGO Game "Life of a George" that will be on the Apple iOS application. The price is only $29.99 and there are 12 levels with 10 photos each. Available October 1, 2011. Below is the press release for it. (via engadget)

LEGO GROUP UNVEILS FIRST FULLY INTEGRATED DIGITAL-TO-PHYSICAL GAMING EXPERIENCE

- Combining physical building with a digital gaming application, LEGO® Life of George invites builders to test building skills in a race against time-

BILLUND, Denmark, September 29, 2011 – The LEGO Group today announced LEGO® Life of George, its first product to combine digital and physical play for a hands-on LEGO gaming experience. Featuring patent-pending brick recognition software, powered by EyeCue, the game challenges players to build models, and place them on a play mat that acts as a "green screen" to capture the image and receive a score based on accuracy and speed. Beginning October 1, 2011, players can purchase the LEGO Life of George set for $29.99 from LEGO Stores and shop.lego.com and download the free Apple iOS compatible gaming application.

LEGO Life of George is a 12-level game that can be played in novice or expert mode. Each level showcases an adventure from George, around whom the game revolves, and is comprised of models of varying difficulty based on the number of bricks needed and the building techniques required to replicate them. Builders are challenged to physically recreate the virtual models from George's photo album using the LEGO bricks included with the game; once they have successfully completed all 10 models the next level will be unlocked.

In addition to Game Mode which can be played alone or against one competitor in a pass-and-play format, a Creation Mode called "My Life" enables users to design and capture their own models in the app's virtual scrapbook.

"We understand consumers' powerful connection to casual gaming, and we have seen how successfully the LEGO brand can translate to a virtual experience, so we pursued development of a fun way to combine both physical and virtual play into one product," says Paal Smith-Meyer, head of new business at LEGO Group. "Life of George is a result of our desire to provide an innovative way for existing and new fans to play with LEGO bricks and interact with the brand."

Who is George?
George is a software engineer by day and adventurer by night. His main hobbies are travel, photography and numbers, and has a fun storyline for players to follow and engage with via his Facebook page, I Am George. Fans can expect to see updates and photography from George on his travels as well as hints to new game levels and app updates through his posts.

Article Link: http://toysnbricks.com/lego-digital-to- ... xperience/
Toys N Bricks
A LEGO Fan Community. Like us on FaceBook and follow us on Twitter!

legogeek
Knight
Knight

Re: LEGO Digital to Physical Gaming Experience

Post by legogeek » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:41 pm

This is pretty neat and October is a few days away!

anthonyj8
Knight
Knight

Post by anthonyj8 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:54 am

Wow!! Cool set! And not a bad price either. :cool:

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:18 pm

now shipping
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:11 am

Any news on if it'll be available on Android as well?
Engadget wrote:To sweeten this story even more, you'll also be able to keep up with George at his eponymously titled Facebook page, I am George.
Oh yay, Facebook.

chris2348
Peasant
Peasant

Post by chris2348 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:52 pm

Saw this at the Lego Store in Northbrook IL today!

natelite
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by natelite » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:36 pm

2d game. too pixelated tbh. not sure if it has wide appeal.

i think they should make a heroica game. something like the lego sw game but make it rpg style. then release some of the main battle scenes as physical sets. things like perhaps boss level fights, along with several minions, etc. some of the bosses could even feature machines or brick built huge monsters, like dragons, golems, an ork tank or catapult, etc.

rpg has big appeal. just look at the many mmorpg out there. most of them are clones of wow. it's going to be hard to come up with something original but they should look into the tie-in here. board game -> pc game (potentially mmorpg replacing the failed lego universe) -> lego sets -> other merchandise including the maxi-figure alarm clocks, midi-figure led torchlight, apparels, cookie cutter, etc.

if it's successful it should be a multi year cash cow.

another idea i've been brewing - perhaps a board game featuring miniature robots/mechas. i got this after seeing the hoth game set. while i've been intrigued by the atlantis mini-sub board game, it's not too appealing to me or my kids and the idea is that it's probably not that appealing to other folks too. but mechas are a diff story. i'm really drawn to the hoth board game set, with the mini at-at, at-st, snowspeeder, etc. make a similar mecha, robot, beast rider types space wars settings aka star wars or starcraft types and you have yourself another winner. rinse and repeat aka board game -> pc game (or ios game) -> sets -> merchandise.

another good tie in - the new friends theme. board game is probably hard to make but maybe something like pop star or life board game type genre, where players vie to be famous, rich, or some other "life" goals. again, this opens up to something similar to second life type digital game, where you have a pc game or mmorpg type game. then sets + merchandise.

once you reach the merchandise stage it becomes an instant brand. it's no longer lego brand but lego heroica! or something similar. but it's very strong, and tlc would still own the chars it creates. it's much better than the clutch powers char and lego sw which is actually more of a tie-in with george lucas' sw brand. it'll be something unique and potentially stronger than the brick itself.