Stickers - Love 'em, Hate 'em, or don't care

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.

What's your opinion on stickers?

Love 'em, I put them on every time
14%
Hate 'em, I never use them.
41%
They don't bother me, I use them when I feel like it.
45%

Total votes: 22

condor
Knight
Knight

Stickers - Love 'em, Hate 'em, or don't care

Post by condor » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:59 pm

I wanted to add a poll, but I don't think I can yet.

Anyway, how do you guys feel about stickers? I know a lot of people hate them, but I don't mind them. I just put together the Diagon Alley set and the stickers add so much atmosphere to the set. The only thing I hate is when they put them across two or more pieces like the Gallardo set. Otherwise, it's similar to a printed piece where the piece can only be used for a certain function. I just hope the new stickers are better quality than the old ones. The ones I have on the original Hogwarts Express have become brittle and have fallen apart in pieces :cry:

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: Stickers - Love 'em, Hate 'em, or don't care

Post by dr_spock » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:07 pm

I'm ok with stickers. The stickers on my 1980s fire station and trains are still good. My current stickered Lego are from last couple of years. It'll be interesting to see if those stickers can last 30 years.

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:22 pm

I don't really mind the stickers, even though they are a pain to apply.

legogod
Knight
Knight

Post by legogod » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:13 am

I'm a little OCD-they have to go on just right. I usually can't do it perfectly-so they sit in a pile of unused stickers in a bin somewhere. I used to put them on when I was a kid and didn't care...

Jared

InfectiousZombie
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by InfectiousZombie » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:33 am

condor wrote:I wanted to add a poll, but I don't think I can yet.

Anyway, how do you guys feel about stickers? I know a lot of people hate them, but I don't mind them. I just put together the Diagon Alley set and the stickers add so much atmosphere to the set. The only thing I hate is when they put them across two or more pieces like the Gallardo set. Otherwise, it's similar to a printed piece where the piece can only be used for a certain function. I just hope the new stickers are better quality than the old ones. The ones I have on the original Hogwarts Express have become brittle and have fallen apart in pieces :cry:
I can not stand them! When I do put them on, I left mywife do it, saves me the trouble of trying to get it juuuuuuuuuuust right. :-D

Brickbuilder0937
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by Brickbuilder0937 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:48 am

I don't usually put stickers on because most of my sets don't stay together long enough to be worth it. But I will put them on if I plan on displaying the set for a while.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:56 am

It all depends on what the sticker is and what it adds to the set.
Often I use part of the stickers, but rarely use all of them.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

sadowsk1
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by sadowsk1 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:23 am

Not a fan of the stickers. Lego has the ability to apply the images on the bricks, why skimp?

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:38 am

sadowsk1 wrote:Not a fan of the stickers. Lego has the ability to apply the images on the bricks, why skimp?
People already complain about the cost of LEGO sets, if they printed everything they would cost more.
Any step you add to production raises costs significantly
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

InfectiousZombie
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by InfectiousZombie » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:30 pm

ncbarrett wrote:
sadowsk1 wrote:Not a fan of the stickers. Lego has the ability to apply the images on the bricks, why skimp?
People already complain about the cost of LEGO sets, if they printed everything they would cost more.
Adding a step or exchanging a step? They still have to produce stickers. I dont know how much it costs to make a "printed" brick, I producing the stickers is cheaper?

sadowsk1
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by sadowsk1 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:12 am

InfectiousZombie wrote:
ncbarrett wrote:
Adding a step or exchanging a step? They still have to produce stickers. I dont know how much it costs to make a "printed" brick, I producing the stickers is cheaper?
Lol, I suppose they already charge more than I feel comfortable paying at non-sale prices, so anything to save me some coin I can adapt to.

autobrick
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by autobrick » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:01 pm

I really dislike it when they use stickers for parts that come printed in other sets. For example, the checkered flags in Cars sets and the Republic emblems in the Clone Walker Battle pack are stickered, despite the exact same parts being available as printed pieces in other sets.

koromo
Knight
Knight

Post by koromo » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:49 pm

That irks me the most, we have imperial white disc plates and soon as clone wars comes out I have to use stickers? I can understand the larger detailed pieces or more unique colourings such as the Bounty Hunter ship (not much done in green before) but common stuff should be printed like 2x2tiles and sloped computer consoles.
I thought it was rather silly to use a sticker in the new ARC-170 starfighter when the first release used regular printed consoles.
Lego Fan based in Seacoast Area of New Hampshire.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:41 am

Hate them. I see them as a cop out to making printed pieces which is what I am after for things that you really can't replicate with a LEGO brick (think computer screens or tiny tiny minuscule detailing that isn't physically possible to replicate at minifigure scale.)
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

Blackicep8ntball
I'm New !

Post by Blackicep8ntball » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:23 am

Nearly without exception, you can always tell a part's a sticker, and it makes a set look cheap. Best example? the emblems on the A-Wing from the Mon Calamari Star Cruiser set.

Also, when you have the sets for any length of time, the stickers tend to get damaged (edges get pushed in or torn) or they start to peel. Not fun.

I've tried to get over my hate for stickers, but it's just not working :sad:

Marshallmario
I'm New !

Post by Marshallmario » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:22 am

Sorry...Hate Stickers. If I wanted lower costs I would buy Megablocs. High quality is the foundation of Lego. Stickers are cheap, low quality, don't last. When they first started with stickers on the Islander sets I gave up on Lego for years. Wish I hadn't as I missed many great sets but it also cost Lego the money I would have spent. Parents see Lego with pealing, torn stickers and wonder why they didn't buy the less expensive sets
of blocks. I don't know what it costs for printing the tiles but weighed against the cost of the stickers plus the lost sales due to people not wanting sets with stickers and the long term sales lost to the decline in their quality image...might be more profitable for Lego to stay with the high quality, long lasting image that made the company so successful. Just my 2 cents!

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:39 am

Marshallmario wrote:Sorry...Hate Stickers. If I wanted lower costs I would buy Megablocs. High quality is the foundation of Lego. Stickers are cheap, low quality, don't last. When they first started with stickers on the Islander sets I gave up on Lego for years. Wish I hadn't as I missed many great sets but it also cost Lego the money I would have spent. Parents see Lego with pealing, torn stickers and wonder why they didn't buy the less expensive sets
of blocks. I don't know what it costs for printing the tiles but weighed against the cost of the stickers plus the lost sales due to people not wanting sets with stickers and the long term sales lost to the decline in their quality image...might be more profitable for Lego to stay with the high quality, long lasting image that made the company so successful. Just my 2 cents!
This is true, however everyone complains about the current cost of them, and all printed bricks would make them higher, so LEGO doesn't really loose any money.
It is a trade off.

peanut
Knight
Knight

Post by peanut » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:15 pm

I really dig printed bricks, especially old ones, but I really don't care about stickers unless they cover multiple pieces.

NIGELTTF
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by NIGELTTF » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:06 am

I can understand, even if I don't like them, when they are for a decoration that will not be need except in a single set or two.

But when they are for things that will likely come up again and again.....grrrrr. Especially when there are some "one use only" printed things....like Dobby's sock.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:02 pm

I didn't vote because no category fits how I feel. Hate them but still feel obligated to use them :lol:no

I don't like putting on the stickers b/c they always end up crooked. My daughter has now started wanting to do them herself so they are really crooked! I'm just anal about getting them on perfect.

The problem is that I feel some sets don't look right without the stickers applied....they are a nuisance.