Lego Master Builder Academy

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
ImmortalShark
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: Lego Master Builder Academy

Post by ImmortalShark » Fri May 06, 2011 6:07 am

I pre-ordered the first six models. I purchased them as birthday presents for my kids who are getting more involved with lego all the time. They are starting to build their own MOCs so the techniques that they will learn can only be a good thing. I also think it's great that they will be covering all kinds of areas, not just ship building. We've never worked with making robots so that looks like fun. It's an added bonus that I'll get to use it too. :)

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Fri May 06, 2011 8:03 am

legitimatealex wrote:So is there anyone here who will be going into the program? I'd like to hear your reasons why.
Hrm... there's a much longer discussion going on over here - in fact, originally I had thought that topic WAS this one - I've split off the discussion of the merits of the MBA program (which is now added to this topic) from the discussion of purchasing the MBA subscription (which remains in the one linked above).

I'm definitely up for the first kit, hoping to be able to pre-order before May 20, so I can get the MBA PaB box. I might have to wait a while until we have the funds for the subscription to Kits 2-6. The exclusive minifigures, the high-quality books, the less 'promo based' and more 'creativity based' concept, in comparison to Brickmaster, are all big draws to me. I like the fact that the kits are more advanced and less theme-specific, more like Creator sets than "here's a mini set that's based on a larger version from the Atlantis theme" or "here's a mini set that's based on a larger version of a Star Wars set".
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Wed May 11, 2011 6:19 pm

I sent an email to LEGO Customer Service inquiring about the MBA program and the nature of the subscription, and here's the reply:
Kit 1 will be available as a stand alone kit until it is discontinued, which most likely won't happen for quite a bit of time. The first kit is $29.99 and comes with a brick separator, exclusive mini figure, and a tray to store pieces for the entire program (kits 1-6). The first kit is currently on preorder, and will start shipping in June.

Kits 2-6 are available as a subscription for $69.99. These kits are available to start shipping in July and will ship every other month (like the Brickmaster!). So if you signed up now for both Kit 1 and the subscription, you would receive a kit in June, July, September, November, January, and March. If you purchase the subscription later this year, you would still start with Kit 1. The Master Builder Academy is focused on advancing building skills, so it is fantastic that at any time you can start with the first kit and work your way up.
Interesting that the Kit 1 stand-alone set is only going to be around for a limited time, eventually to be enveloped into the subscription as a whole. It's also good to get clarification that the Kit 1-6 subscription will basically always be available, even as more levels are added to the program.

anthonyhscott
I'm New !

Post by anthonyhscott » Sun May 29, 2011 12:07 am

Master builder academy is not bad. The set costs $29.99. You can subscribe for $69.99 a year online. You get new kits. Seems pretty good to me.

clock4me
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by clock4me » Mon May 30, 2011 7:22 am

ImmortalShark wrote:I pre-ordered the first six models. I purchased them as birthday presents for my kids who are getting more involved with lego all the time. They are starting to build their own MOCs so the techniques that they will learn can only be a good thing. I also think it's great that they will be covering all kinds of areas, not just ship building. We've never worked with making robots so that looks like fun. It's an added bonus that I'll get to use it too. :)
How you get them to ship to Canada?

ImmortalShark
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by ImmortalShark » Mon May 30, 2011 11:00 am

clock4me wrote:
ImmortalShark wrote:I pre-ordered the first six models. I purchased them as birthday presents for my kids who are getting more involved with lego all the time. They are starting to build their own MOCs so the techniques that they will learn can only be a good thing. I also think it's great that they will be covering all kinds of areas, not just ship building. We've never worked with making robots so that looks like fun. It's an added bonus that I'll get to use it too. :)
How you get them to ship to Canada?
I don't. I have a PO Box just across the border in the US. The only issue, most couriers won't leave packages at PO Boxes. Lego and Amazon will use USPS and B&N uses UPS SurePost which does deliver to PO Boxes.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Mon May 30, 2011 8:48 pm

vynsane wrote:I sent an email to LEGO Customer Service inquiring about the MBA program and the nature of the subscription, and here's the reply:
Kit 1 will be available as a stand alone kit until it is discontinued, which most likely won't happen for quite a bit of time. The first kit is $29.99 and comes with a brick separator, exclusive mini figure, and a tray to store pieces for the entire program (kits 1-6). The first kit is currently on preorder, and will start shipping in June.

Kits 2-6 are available as a subscription for $69.99. These kits are available to start shipping in July and will ship every other month (like the Brickmaster!). So if you signed up now for both Kit 1 and the subscription, you would receive a kit in June, July, September, November, January, and March. If you purchase the subscription later this year, you would still start with Kit 1. The Master Builder Academy is focused on advancing building skills, so it is fantastic that at any time you can start with the first kit and work your way up.
Interesting that the Kit 1 stand-alone set is only going to be around for a limited time, eventually to be enveloped into the subscription as a whole. It's also good to get clarification that the Kit 1-6 subscription will basically always be available, even as more levels are added to the program.
Sorry if I'm being dense, but does the bold part mean that if I don't order the 2-6 kit set before "later this year" that I might have to get Kit 1 again (which I have pre-ordered)? I sort of wanted to check out Kit 1 before committing to the rest. Any idea what Lego means by "later this year"?

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Tue May 31, 2011 6:50 am

atmail35 wrote:Sorry if I'm being dense, but does the bold part mean that if I don't order the 2-6 kit set before "later this year" that I might have to get Kit 1 again (which I have pre-ordered)? I sort of wanted to check out Kit 1 before committing to the rest. Any idea what Lego means by "later this year"?
Yes, that's what I'm getting - that at sometime within the next year, Kit 1 will be enveloped by the subscription and not be a stand-alone product anymore, at which point you'll have to pay the full $100/yr subscription for Kits 1-6. I speculate this will probably happen when the subscription for Level 3/4 is announced/unveiled/made available for pre-order.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Tue May 31, 2011 6:55 am

vynsane wrote:Yes, that's what I'm getting - that at sometime within the next year, Kit 1 will be enveloped by the subscription and not be a stand-alone product anymore, at which point you'll have to pay the full $100/yr subscription for Kits 1-6. I speculate this will probably happen when the subscription for Level 3/4 is announced/unveiled/made available for pre-order.
Thanks for the info, I guess I'll have to possibly put the Kit 2-6 on my list to buy sooner than later!

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:17 am

I received my Kit 1 delivery yesterday, complete with PaB box, and stayed up late last night building all three models. The 'Rocket', build #2, is the strongest in terms of both design and construction. It uses the most pieces, so I have a feeling it was the 'main' build, with the other two being the alt models.

I'm surprised and disappointed to say the 'Space Fighter' is the weakest of the three - the Helicraft is actually pretty cool, and more sturdy than the fighter.

My Kit 1 handbook had a small tear and crease on the back cover - it bothers me, but it's probably not worth another call to Customer Service.

Interestingly enough, it appears that the Level 2 figure will come with a light blue-gray version of the SP3 Commando helmet, which begs the question: Why didn't the Level 1 "Space Designer" figure come with a SPACE helmet?

Overall, there is a generous assortment of pieces, and the metallic silver accents (two 'pole' antennae, a few 1x1 cones and a few 1x1 studs) are a bonus.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:51 am

vynsane wrote:The 'Rocket', build #2, is the strongest in terms of both design and construction. It uses the most pieces, so I have a feeling it was the 'main' build, with the other two being the alt models.
I agree, I like it the best.
Interestingly enough, it appears that the Level 2 figure will come with a light blue-gray version of the SP3 Commando helmet, which begs the question: Why didn't the Level 1 "Space Designer" figure come with a SPACE helmet?
In the online book, (website currently down) one of the notes references the helmet to be a steam-punk helmet, and the face to be retro looking, must have been the designers decision.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:41 am

ncbarrett wrote:In the online book, (website currently down) one of the notes references the helmet to be a steam-punk helmet, and the face to be retro looking, must have been the designers decision.
Hrm... I consider that helmet being 'steampunk' more in brown than in black... either way, it makes little sense to reference steampunk in the Space Designer kit, unless one of them is supposed to be a steam-driven spaceship?

A 'steampunk helmet' in conjunction with the biplane in the first kit in Level 2 would make a lot more sense, which just furthers my point. Not that I'm disappointed in any way in the Level 1 figure, he's a cool dude - just that it seems an odd choice. Of course, they made the same choice with the initial SP3 offerings, so it's not like it's unprecedented.

EDIT: I forgot to mention before, but does anyone find it odd that the pieces include two 1x2x2 bracket pieces in green that never get used in any of the three builds? I mean, I'm cool with getting more pieces, but you'd think they'd use them in one of the designs.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:24 am

Finally my set (ahhem my daughter's) arrived today. I'm impressed by the weight of the outer cardboard box and the book is nice. The tray is a little thin but I guess OK. I am annoyed that the plastic tape that they used to seal the box sort of damaged the box when I gently pulled it off. I slit the tape and was going to just leave it on the box (for fear of damaging the box) but it wasn't sticking great and I figured it would pick up lint, hair and other fun stuff. Oh well, I'm sure only I will notice but it's annoying none the less. ;)

I'll let the little one build it this week or weekend.

Oh and my PAB box arrived separately in a bubble envelope. That's really nice of Lego to protect a flattened cardboard box in that manner, a regular manilla envelope would have been sufficient. Wow I'm full of complaints aren't I?

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:31 am

vynsane wrote: EDIT: I forgot to mention before, but does anyone find it odd that the pieces include two 1x2x2 bracket pieces in green that never get used in any of the three builds? I mean, I'm cool with getting more pieces, but you'd think they'd use them in one of the designs.
They are shown as pieces used for sideways building, so I assume that is why they are included.
I am annoyed that the plastic tape that they used to seal the box sort of damaged the box when I gently pulled it off.
I was unhappy about this too.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:04 pm

I always cut the tape and leave it in place - I ripped too many boxes that way.

I, too, was impressed by the heft of the box. I'm also impressed by how heavy the PaB box got after I filled it up yesterday - haven't had the time to inventory it yet, but I got a lot of 2x2 corner bricks in dark blue-gray.