What sets do you have multiples of and why?

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
atmail35
Duke
Duke

What sets do you have multiples of and why?

Post by atmail35 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:35 pm

Just out of curiosity, do people buy multiples of the same set and what is your reason (and I'm not really asking about CMF, magnets or other "stuff" but true sets, even polybags I guess)?

I've only bought more than one set a handful of times. Usually it is because I found it deeply discounted. I'll keep the extras either for gifts or maybe for parts.

I did buy a second City House b/c I thought it was a fun set and my daughter is constructing a small town. I got both sets on-sale.

I bought a second Creator Apple Tree Home so we could build it a second way and not disassemble the first one.

I have gotten multiple polybags since they are inexpensive and good to have around as a treat for my daughter to to add on to a birthday gift.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Re: What sets do you have multiples of and why?

Post by legitimatealex » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:04 pm

I have 2 of the Beach Houses, but I only have two because someone bought me the second one. It's a great set nonetheless, and I definitely wish I had a third.

Multiples of the CMFs. Just some specifically.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

peanut
Knight
Knight

Post by peanut » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:05 am

I don't stockpile but I have a few dupes here and there - not counting battle packs. 3 Creator Cabins and a couple City Campers. Really like those sets. A couple Ambush in Cairo. A few City Corners because they were so cheap. 4 Ninjago training outposts because they join together in a ring. Lots of dupes of polybags and some doubles of Star Wars sets from the late 90s - Naboo Swamp, snow speeders, land speeders, speeder bikes, etc.

I would love to find another Battle of Alamut at 50% off.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:45 am

I have a few double-dips, but the only ones I can think of at the moment are 5982 Smash 'n Grab and 7591 Construct-a-Zurg. What can I say? I like purple.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:21 am

I have three McDonald's because you need two to make a decent set, and the third is still in it's box.

I also have two Army Men sets because Amazon pretty much had a BOGO on them.

I probably have more but those are the ones I thought of so far.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:01 pm

Umm after today going to have to add 'Monster 4' to that list. Reason: Unique minifigure heads. 8 unique heads (4 werewolves, 4 devils), 4 evil skeleton heads, 4 troll faces and 4 pumpkin heads.

Total of 20 heads in the set. That's a freaking awesome deal, especially since Target has them on clearance right now.

meyerc13
Knight
Knight

Post by meyerc13 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:39 pm

I find myself buying doubles of a lot of the City Cars and Trucks because the pieces are great for MOCs. For example, if you want to build a fire truck, the 7239 Fire Truck has lots of the pieces you'd want to use. For the same reason I bought multiples of the small car, fire pickup, police car... it's a great way to get frames, fenders, hoods, wheels, tires. The small $5-7 Creator cars also make great parts packs for making City vehicles.

I've also bought two of the Apple Tree House, only because in my opinion the set doesn't come with enough windows but two sets is just about right. I'm thinking about picking up another police station or fire station to use for parts, the garage doors and windows/doors alone are almost worth the price of the set. I figure all of the rest of the parts would be a bonus, especially if I can find it on sale.

I guess my philosophy is if I like a set enough to leave it built, I'll probably like the pieces for other uses so might as well pick up two, especially if I can get a good deal.

Brickbuilder0937
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by Brickbuilder0937 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:44 pm

I have too many to list here. If I didn't have multiples my collection would be about half of what it is now. According to peeron I have 1,067 Sets, of which 556 are unique. I usually buy sets on sale, and if they're cheap enough I often pick up two or more if I like the part selection.

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:48 am

I have a lot of the original Tie Fighter because I found a Zellers clearing them out for $5. I usually get duplicate sets for the parts but only if they are on clearance. I used to buy collections on ebay (stopped because prices were getting insane) and would often end up with duplicates that way.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

toystest
Knight
Knight

Post by toystest » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:48 am

I have gotten 3 of the Creator Family home set. I had gotten one and really liked it and then I saw 2 of them at walmart for 29.50 each. My son and myself enjoy building houses and this way we can make them very big. This set is a great deal at full price, half off it is practically a steal :)

NIGELTTF
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by NIGELTTF » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:39 pm

Got 4 of Lego Dragon Fortress 7419, ended up buying 8 of Elephant Caravan 7414 when I saw them marked $3.00 at TRU. Several 7413 at $5 Because of the Arches and Collums, 4 of 7418 Scorpion Palace for the parts, Also 3 or 4 of Tygurahs Roar 7411 and the Yeti Hidout 7412 which I found for $3.50 each. As well as several 7409 Secret of the Tomb that I got for $1.99 each.

And that's only from one Subtheme.

koromo
Knight
Knight

Post by koromo » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:04 pm

Back in my first posting on this forum I got 4 battle of the daggers to go with a battle of Almut set so I could have 4 smaller domes surrounding a center golden dome in some Byzantine-Turkish-Russian influenced design.
Lego Fan based in Seacoast Area of New Hampshire.

Everybody
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Everybody » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:51 pm

Almost five of every star wars battle pack.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:20 am

Everybody wrote:Almost five of every star wars battle pack.
Wow, must be quite an army.

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:35 am

I've got a couple here and there, generally because they have cool parts in them.

ImmortalShark
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by ImmortalShark » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:39 am

I just picked up three of the Midi Star Destroyers at Walmart for $15 each. March break project for me and my two boys. :D