How best to pack Legos for storage

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
earl9371
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

How best to pack Legos for storage

Post by earl9371 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:22 am

I put together a small Lego Christmas village this year with the Village Bakery and Toy Shop along with a number of small pieces from the advent calender from the past two years. It's time to take it down, and I'm not sure about the best way to pack it. If I just throw it in a bin I'm sure a number of the piu\eces will probably come apart - if I fill the bin with packing peanuts it might protect the figures but I may lose some pieces in the process. If anyone has any insights on how best to pack pieces like this for storage I'd really appreciate hearing them. Thanks as always for the terrific expert insights on this board!

natelite
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: How best to pack Legos for storage

Post by natelite » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:16 am

Not sure what the fuss is about? Lego is meant to be taken apart and rebuild. Just store in ziplock bags. If you don't like rebuilding, get a new hobby! :d

earl9371
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by earl9371 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:05 am

natelite wrote:Not sure what the fuss is about? Lego is meant to be taken apart and rebuild. Just store in ziplock bags. If you don't like rebuilding, get a new hobby! :d
My house is very Grizwald-ian. Takes 2 days to take down our tree alone. I love building, but when these go up I need the process to be as hassle-free as possible.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:05 am

I don't think anyone needs to get a new hobby for merely desiring to keep a few sets stored in a built state.

I think your best bet would be to get some large, sturdy cardboard or plastic boxes. Place the models in plastic shopping bags, put them in the boxes, and use some other, smaller pieces of cardboard to create 'cells' for them, almost like these ornament storage boxes but on a larger scale. Then pack the 'cell' with tissue and/or newsprint paper (hence the plastic bag, to keep the newsprint from rubbing off) in order to prevent them from shifting around, and place a large piece of cardboard on top, to create a new layer. Rinse, repeat.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:18 am

Put sets into ziplocs with the instruction booklets, and put in big plastic storage bins
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

ImmortalShark
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by ImmortalShark » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:24 am

vynsane wrote:I don't think anyone needs to get a new hobby for merely desiring to keep a few sets stored in a built state.

I think your best bet would be to get some large, sturdy cardboard or plastic boxes. Place the models in plastic shopping bags, put them in the boxes, and use some other, smaller pieces of cardboard to create 'cells' for them, almost like these ornament storage boxes but on a larger scale. Then pack the 'cell' with tissue and/or newsprint paper (hence the plastic bag, to keep the newsprint from rubbing off) in order to prevent them from shifting around, and place a large piece of cardboard on top, to create a new layer. Rinse, repeat.
You could also use the packing peanuts for Vynsane's suggestion of "packing the cell". Putting the model in a bag would be key to make sure no pieces got lost if they did pop off during storage. You could use cardboard bankers boxes from Staples (or wherever), for the two large sets. The boxes are about 12" x 12" x 15" and they are fairly strong. I might suggest some sort of tray system like a tackle box for the advent pieces so that each one has it's own section.

Let us know what you come up with, with pics if possible. We're always interested in storage ideas.

Good luck

IS

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:18 pm

Put it in a ziploc bag, pack the box with peanuts, toss the instruction manual in there and seal. If that doesn't work you can always just your sets in a box, then pack that box in another box.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

Asterios
Knight
Knight

Post by Asterios » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:34 am

I use Plano and storage tubs.

Luciant
Count
Count

Post by Luciant » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:28 pm

I currently have each set broken down into Ziplock bags, and then stored by theme into 66 Gallon Sterlite Containers. I figured this way they are safe from dust and moisture. I keep the instructions separately stored grouped by theme.
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:21 pm

I am using Sterilite 3 Drawer Storage units to store my lego build. The drawer can't keep the big set in one piece, so a little of break-down was required.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.