VIP Rewards - do you save or spend them asap?

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
atmail35
Duke
Duke

VIP Rewards - do you save or spend them asap?

Post by atmail35 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:31 pm

So I'm curious if people save up their VIP Rewards $s or spend them as they earn them?

I used to just redeem them when they became available, but I've been saving them up since the summer to buy something "really good"....not sure what that is. Maybe the Grand Emporium since the full price kind of scares me. ;)

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: VIP Rewards - do you save or spend them asap?

Post by slacker » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:16 pm

I was saving them up but recently used them up for CMFs3 as I didn't want to pay $2.99 for them. I was saving up for the UCS imperial shuttle.

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:38 pm

I'm saving mine at the moment.

sadowsk1
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by sadowsk1 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:04 pm

I'm saving them too, I like the feeling cashing in a huge chunk.

spock00
Citizen
Citizen

Post by spock00 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:53 pm

save them up

BobaFett2
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by BobaFett2 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:19 am

I'm saving. But if I ever need them, I tend to use them. No waiting.
MOCpages Account
FlickR Photostream
I post a lot of reviews in the reviews forum! Check them out!

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:20 pm

I'm saving mine up as a testament to the fact that I might spend too much on LEGO.

Then I'm going to use all that money I've saved up on a huge set and get it for free : )
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

Hodgeman
Knight
Knight

Post by Hodgeman » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:15 am

Saving mine too - it'll make buying a really big, expensive set easier to explain to my wife... Lol
LEGO, it's not just a toy, it's an addiction... ;)

koromo
Knight
Knight

Post by koromo » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:39 pm

Hodgeman wrote:Saving mine too - it'll make buying a really big, expensive set easier to explain to my wife... Lol
Hehe, I have made my first purchase on S@H in a long while. Home One is due next week :). Ill save my points till the end of the year.
Lego Fan based in Seacoast Area of New Hampshire.

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:27 pm

Saving mostly.

legogod
Knight
Knight

Post by legogod » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:10 pm

While I don't buy as much Lego as my wallet allows-I've gotten three five dollar vip rewards in the past year. I was thinking of saving them, but there is that 2-year limit on them. They're no good two years from the date you got them (I have a horrible memory). I've used mine up because in two years I might *only* have another $15. It makes the small sets I get now offset the shipping. It really works well if you can take advantage of their double and triple points or if you buy select sets with added bonuses. So I'm a spender, not a saver.

Jared

BobaFett2
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by BobaFett2 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:49 am

legogod wrote:While I don't buy as much Lego as my wallet allows-I've gotten three five dollar vip rewards in the past year. I was thinking of saving them, but there is that 2-year limit on them. They're no good two years from the date you got them (I have a horrible memory). I've used mine up because in two years I might *only* have another $15. It makes the small sets I get now offset the shipping. It really works well if you can take advantage of their double and triple points or if you buy select sets with added bonuses. So I'm a spender, not a saver.

Jared
I didn't know that there was a two-year limit! Oh well, I'll just make sure to spend my money at the LEGO store then. No going to target now and then-I'll just go there a few more times and get me a few sets, and then get another pyramid with my VIP + cash.
MOCpages Account
FlickR Photostream

sadowsk1
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by sadowsk1 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:49 am

How long have the VIP points been in existence?

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:02 pm

VIP was, I think, rather new last January when I both got back into LEGO and signed up for VIP at the store in the Palisade's Mall. About halfway through the year it was made available to online and phone purchases. Before VIP there were rewards punch cards available at brand stores which, apparently, had a better reward structure.

As for spending or saving them, I think I held off and saved up $10 in points once, but usually I just use it the next time I'm in the store. This most recent time was cool - I had a $50 mastercard gift card and went to the LEGO Store on Long Island when they were having the 50% off clearance deals. I had a few dollars to go until my next $5 reward. My brother was buying LEGO Harry Potter the game, and the guy behind the counter asked if he had a VIP card, which he didn't. So I gave him mine, got the $5 credit, then proceeded to buy $100 worth of clearance/CMFs3's and got another $5 credit for next time! ;)
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

Mom2Nate
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Mom2Nate » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:14 pm

We spend them the moment we get them! My son and hubby never let me save them up:)

BobaFett2
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by BobaFett2 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:24 pm

vynsane wrote:VIP was, I think, rather new last January when I both got back into LEGO and signed up for VIP at the store in the Palisade's Mall. About halfway through the year it was made available to online and phone purchases. Before VIP there were rewards punch cards available at brand stores which, apparently, had a better reward structure.

As for spending or saving them, I think I held off and saved up $10 in points once, but usually I just use it the next time I'm in the store. This most recent time was cool - I had a $50 mastercard gift card and went to the LEGO Store on Long Island when they were having the 50% off clearance deals. I had a few dollars to go until my next $5 reward. My brother was buying LEGO Harry Potter the game, and the guy behind the counter asked if he had a VIP card, which he didn't. So I gave him mine, got the $5 credit, then proceeded to buy $100 worth of clearance/CMFs3's and got another $5 credit for next time! ;)
Not necessarily. It seems better-here's how it works:
* For each time that you spend at least 25 dollars, you get a stamp. 8 Stamps the first time gives 10 dollars, another row of 8 gives 25 dollars.
* However, anything larger than 25 still only gives one stamp, and anything smaller doesn't give any
* As a result, small purchases do not add up-so unless you bought about 25-30 dollars worth of LEGO every time, VIP is better.
MOCpages Account
FlickR Photostream

Brickbuilder0937
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by Brickbuilder0937 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:31 pm

@ legogod and BobaFett2, the rewards on your VIP card don't get erased unless your account remains inactive for two years in a row, so as long as you don't forget to make a purchase once every two years (highly unlikely) your rewards will be safe.

BobaFett2 wrote: Not necessarily. It seems better-here's how it works:
* For each time that you spend at least 25 dollars, you get a stamp. 8 Stamps the first time gives 10 dollars, another row of 8 gives 25 dollars.
* However, anything larger than 25 still only gives one stamp, and anything smaller doesn't give any
* As a result, small purchases do not add up-so unless you bought about 25-30 dollars worth of LEGO every time, VIP is better.
Actually, for the stamp rewards you would get a stamp for every $25 increment, so for $25 to 49.99 would earn you one stamp, $50 to $74.99 two, $75 to $99.99 three, and so on. But the VIP rewards program is generally better for smaller purchases and the stamps were better for larger.
But, one of my favorite things about VIP is that you don't need to have the card with you to use it, only the card number.

legogod
Knight
Knight

Post by legogod » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:48 am

Brickbuilder0937 wrote:@ legogod and BobaFett2, the rewards on your VIP card don't get erased unless your account remains inactive for two years in a row, so as long as you don't forget to make a purchase once every two years (highly unlikely) your rewards will be safe.
I'm pretty sure I read it right before I signed up. In the faq on the Lego website it says:
Do my points ever expire?

Yes, all VIP Points expire on December 31st two years after the year in which they were earned. Before this happens, LEGO will notify you via the email address you provided during registration.
Members that join the VIP Program via a LEGO Store or phone order, and subsequently do not register their card number online within one (1) year of joining the Program, will have their points expire and their point balance reset to zero.

I was just alerting people that points do expire, but to most of us here it is within a decent amount of time. I wouldn't be able to save up for a Death Star in 2-3 years with 5 dollar increments. If I've got my information wrong, please let me know.

Jared

BobaFett2
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by BobaFett2 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:11 am

Brickbuilder0937 wrote:@ legogod and BobaFett2, the rewards on your VIP card don't get erased unless your account remains inactive for two years in a row, so as long as you don't forget to make a purchase once every two years (highly unlikely) your rewards will be safe.

BobaFett2 wrote: Not necessarily. It seems better-here's how it works:
Actually, for the stamp rewards you would get a stamp for every $25 increment, so for $25 to 49.99 would earn you one stamp, $50 to $74.99 two, $75 to $99.99 three, and so on. But the VIP rewards program is generally better for smaller purchases and the stamps were better for larger.
But, one of my favorite things about VIP is that you don't need to have the card with you to use it, only the card number.
Ah, I forgot about that. I had about 8 different stamp cards. It really was bugging me. Then came VIP rewards, and I traded those in.
MOCpages Account
FlickR Photostream

Brickbuilder0937
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by Brickbuilder0937 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:23 am

legogod wrote: I'm pretty sure I read it right before I signed up....
Yes you're right, I probably misread it.(or they changed the rules since I last read them :D )